Would you want Moya to be more successful commercially?

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Would you want Moya to be more successful commercially?

Yes, I wish she'd be in the Top Ten on every release
7%
Yes, she deserves the same recognition Enya receives
30%
I'm not worried, she's done fine
56%
I'm not concerned with how much Moya sells
7%

Total votes : 86

Postby Jprater » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:49 pm

Is Moya rich? Does anyone have a salesfigure of Moya's solo career in terms of cd sales?

I think Moya has limited appeal, and it will always be as such. I love Moya's voice, it's otherworldly, yet, in my opinion, many of her songs are melodically inaccessible, which keeps her fanbase lower then say, that of her sister Enya's but in-step with that, her fans are quite well-rounded and people of significant tastes.

Moya's music is deeply irish and yet quite folksie with no clear musical definition. Her songs change, some times drastically, from one album to the next [and so does the production values]. Moya is just as enigmatic as her sister [the only sister worth talking about] musically speaking and yet she is a creature of growth and change.

She's done quite well. I'd be interested to hear Moya write and produce an album with Nicky and Roma Ryan. That would be interesting.
Jprater
Banned Member

Postby Turlough » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:23 pm

In a recent post the idea is raised of Moya recording an album with the Ryans. Personally I think Moya has a very viable creative process as she stands, given the quailty found in Two Horizons. And she certainly has tried a variety of musical paths.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby gregoing » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:43 pm

Turlough wrote:In a recent post the idea is raised of Moya recording an album with the Ryans.

Sadly I didn't catch that post, but I certainly like the idea. Sadly, I highly doubt that would ever happen, but it would still make for a very interesting and beautiful record.
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby BenWiganUK » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:17 pm

I would hate Moya to record with the Ryans. Moya has a wonderful backing band and has found her own path. She produces her own music so has no need for their production techniques.

It would never ever happen anyway. Not in a million years.
Whisper to the wild water is Moya's masterpiece. Every track a classic.
BenWiganUK
Banned Member

Postby Jprater » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Nicky wouldn't even let Ciaran in the studio much less have Maire over for a recording session, LOL

I would however love to hear just one song, written by Enya, performed as a duet with Maire.
Last edited by Jprater on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jprater
Banned Member

Postby BenWiganUK » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:29 pm

Is that true about Bartley??? I know Nicky told Ciaran that he would never record with Enya but I hadn't heard the Bartley story.
BenWiganUK
Banned Member

Postby Jprater » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 pm

you're right, it was Ciaran, my bad. I'll edit it. All those brennan kids, one can get confused.
Jprater
Banned Member

Postby Ardens » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:49 pm

BenWiganUK wrote:Is that true about Bartley??? I know Nicky told Ciaran that he would never record with Enya but I hadn't heard the Bartley story.

Does it matter? :|
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby BenWiganUK » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:18 pm

Obviously not to you but to some of us it's a point of interest. :|
BenWiganUK
Banned Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Turlough wrote:In a recent post the idea is raised of Moya recording an album with the Ryans.

I'd hate for this to happen. The Ryans seem to have become too narrow-minded with music, because over the past 25 odd years, they've worked with no one but Enya. This was made aparent in almost every review I read in Irish newspapers and music magazines, and from so many fans. 'Amaarantine' had nothing new in it whatsoever.

On the other hand; Moya has taken influence in her songs from African sounds [Máire & MEA] and has, since then worked on so many levels. Her last two albums have had a strong feel of traditional music because of the instruments used, and Two Horizons was ambient and beautiful - and uniquely ambient and beautiful.

Each of Moya's albums have been very varied in style, as has the songwriting. It's about so many things!

On the main topic; I've voted she deserves more recognition than Enya. Now, I am an Enya fan, so I am in no way biased in my decision. Historically and on the basis of quality and originality, I don't know how in the world Moya isn't more known throughout the world than Enya.

Afterall, Enya has never released a song as haunting or as beautiful as 'Harry's Game', and people don't see this. I could go on forever, but most will get my drift, hope this didn't seem harsh :lol:
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby BenWiganUK » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:28 pm

It's not harsh at all. I agree with every word you've said.
BenWiganUK
Banned Member

Postby Ardens » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Roibeard Óg wrote:

I'd hate for this to happen. The Ryans seem to have become too narrow-minded with music, because over the past 25 odd years, they've worked with no one but Enya. This was made aparent in almost every review I read in Irish newspapers and music magazines, and from so many fans. 'Amaarantine' had nothing new in it whatsoever.

On the other hand; Moya has taken influence in her songs from African sounds [Máire & MEA] and has, since then worked on so many levels. Her last two albums have had a strong feel of traditional music because of the instruments used, and Two Horizons was ambient and beautiful - and uniquely ambient and beautiful.

Each of Moya's albums have been very varied in style, as has the songwriting. It's about so many things!

On the main topic; I've voted she deserves more recognition than Enya. Now, I am an Enya fan, so I am in no way biased in my decision. Historically and on the basis of quality and originality, I don't know how in the world Moya isn't more known throughout the world than Enya.

Afterall, Enya has never released a song as haunting or as beautiful as 'Harry's Game', and people don't see this. I could go on forever, but most will get my drift, hope this didn't seem harsh :lol:

My opinion about Enya and Moya is a bit different. I don't see any reason to wish one of them more recognition than the other. I must also admit that disagree with many articles about "Amarantine". There were some journalists who gave good reasons for their opinion, but most of them wrote as if they had never listened to the album.
But I agree with you that the variation in Moya's music is wonderful. It's great that she dares to try something new and sticks to her style nevertheless. Her music is so amazing that I wish that some more people would know it. It's a pity that lots cheaply made stuff enters the charts these days whereas high quality music is hidden from the listeners.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby richard » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:39 pm

i love moya's music as it is. each album is very different. she might not sell 10 million per album like enya, but i think she sells well enough.
Richard.
richard
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby BenWiganUK » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:42 pm

I think the key thing is that Moya has never settled into any sort of formula. Enya and the Ryans found a very successful formula and have happily kept to it. Moya's albums have more variation. Even her two 'Christian' albums, whilst sharing similarities, are strikingly different from each other.
BenWiganUK
Banned Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:13 pm

Ardens wrote:There were some journalists who gave good reasons for their opinion, but most of them wrote as if they had never listened to the album.

In eight of Ireland's music magazines and columns, eight of the biggest that is, they are all lifelong Enya and Clannad enthusiasts. I'm not saying they are big fans, but eight of these journalists I know well have such admiration for Enya and her music, as well as the artists that have come out big and done Ireland proud. The thing is, every one of them aggreed that nothing new was produced, and that is one thing that the Irish journalists agree on anyway.

I know that you are a massive Enya fan, and a massive Moya fan. I am more a Moya fan, but I do know how you feel when some things are written. And I agree that most columnists to not actually listen to an album right through, but surely they must have felt it from the first few tracks if these other, more credable and professional writers have written the same thing. And even the majority of the fans think the same.

It's a shame to see that Enya's talents have not been shown in a way that they could, and I feel confident that she has taken in the criticism and will come out with something new, and hopefully some Gaelic tracks that the fans and media missed out on with the last album.
Ardens wrote:But I agree with you that the variation in Moya's music is wonderful. It's great that she dares to try something new and sticks to her style nevertheless. Her music is so amazing that I wish that some more people would know it. It's a pity that lots cheaply made stuff enters the charts these days whereas high quality music is hidden from the listeners.

I agree with you here. It annoys me that in the charts, most of the instruments you hear nowadays is all software; most of the music doesn't seem personal or touching, not to mention, most songs are written by someone else. It's changed though lately with these new 'Indie' artists who do play instruments, and do write their own songs; they've taken over the UK, Ireland and parts of the US, and I can really see them taking over, although the ruin the term 'Indie'. But, again, that's the thing about Moya; she and her band dare to release new sounds and things that out minds can relate to.

But back to the point of my vote, I thought that as the lady who created that Celtic sound with her brothers and uncles that Moya should have more recognition. I think the reason Clannad remained in Enya's shadow was becaused they used Gaelic a lot more, and used traditional songs in almost every album as well as their own stuff. It's weird listening through Macalla and hearing 'Buachaill Ón Éirne', but beautiful.

But that's what I'd love to hear from Enya, something traditional, but with her own twist on it. It'd also be great to have more instruments. Although Enya needs her own space for albums, it'd be nice for her to bring in some new instruments, rather than hearing the same old same old throughout every album. I'm not looking forward to the Christmas recording, because we've already had a few tracks, but the album after that, I'm pretty hopeful that Enya will return in some way to her roots. :D
Ardens wrote:
BenWiganUK wrote:Is that true about Bartley??? I know Nicky told Ciaran that he would never record with Enya but I hadn't heard the Bartley story.

Does it matter? :|

I think it matters in the way that fans want to be in some way interactive with the band/musician they are a fan of. We are normal people, and normal people want to know other peoples' business, so it may not matter 100%, but it matters in order to keep a fan. That's what fans want to see, a sense os personality in people, and the fact that we don't see that in Enya very often makes us want to move on to the next person.
Jprater wrote:Is Moya rich? Does anyone have a salesfigure of Moya's solo career in terms of cd sales?

First of all, this has to be the rudest thing I've read on this forum in a very long time. This was asked by another member in a controversial thread and completley blew me away with surprise. Money has nothing to do with a good artist, it's their job. If you where, for example a great web designer, people would look at your designs, not your bank statements.
Jprater wrote:I think Moya has limited appeal, and it will always be as such. I love Moya's voice, it's otherworldly, yet, in my opinion, many of her songs are melodically inaccessible, which keeps her fanbase lower then say, that of her sister Enya's but in-step with that, her fans are quite well-rounded and people of significant tastes.

Secondly, elaborate on your interpretation of melodically inaccessible. In comparison to Enya, I've found that Moya's music has been far more creative, and far more personal. Moya's music, in my interpretation of those terms, is a lot more so than Enya's, because it has variety and body, elegance and style, and because it's inspired by so much, rather than emptiness. Enya's words are actually Roma's, and her meoldies are thought up by three. Moya has done things alone, as well as collaborated with many people; she finds inspiration in life, something that Enya admittedly does not do. And, I'm proud to say that her fans, these amazing people that I have met on here to have significant taste in music.
Jprater wrote:Moya's music is deeply irish and yet quite folksie with no clear musical definition. Her songs change, some times drastically, from one album to the next [and so does the production values].

Moya's music is so deeply Irish in culture and spirit and inspiration and landscape. I don't find it folksie whatsoever. Search for folk music on Google and you'll find a nice link to Archie Fisher. Moya's albums change drastically from one album to the next because she is not afraid of experimenting in other styles, and strides to keep her fanbase entertained. Moya has opened so many fans' minds to music. Before Moya, I only listened to Clannad's earlier stuff, and when Two Horizons came out, I opened my mind to hundreds of other genres and subgenres. And as for the change, although they have been big and daring, they've been successful.
Jprater wrote:Moya is just as enigmatic as her sister [the only sister worth talking about] musically speaking and yet she is a creature of growth and change.

Moya introduced Enya to Nicky Jaime, so best research that 'only sister worth talking about' and how she got where she is now. Clannad was Enya's big break. Enya is a world-class artist, as is Moya, and as is Brídín. Her sister Deirdre is a nationally acclaimed artist and a published poet and story writer. Ever member of that family is worth talking about. Bartley practically is the Donegal economy during the Summer, and the boys and uncles are also people dedicated to their culture and the growth of the culture. Has Enya written songs to make people aware of pollution, or written an inspiring biography about her life that has helped so many thousands like myself? No. Enya is not the only Brennan girl worth talking about, and the boys are just as worth it. The Brennans and Duggans go back of a hundred and fifty years in music. I was talking only a few weeks ago to a member of the Duggan family from Tory who was in Mayo for the Oireachtas, who was also singing live on RTÉ RnaG that night. The people 'worth talking about' are great in number with that family, so again, research. And another thing, that sister worth mentioning is in the same classification [new-age] as Enya - I'd question your ideas on production values.
Jprater wrote:She's done quite well. I'd be interested to hear Moya write and produce an album with Nicky and Roma Ryan. That would be interesting.

Is this a contradiction or an insult. Moya has her own process which involves a wonderful inotative group and wonderful friends and a wonderful country that she is dedicated to, and the nations that support her such as Ireland, Germany, Holland, the United Kingdom and so many other nations. So, she hasn't been extremely successful in America, but Moya has not set out to rule the world Jaime, she has set out to please her fans and to spread her music, beliefs and creativity in an art form that only few can master, and she has mastered it.

So yes, I would like Moya to be more comercially successful, she deserves it, and we all know as a fact that she will always be loyal to her fans, and her fans to her. She aims to please us, not her pocket. Okay, money's important, but she has enough; she will continue making music the way she feels appropriate and creative, whether it be something completley new, or back to basics or traditional, Moya will always make sure her music is appealing to her fans in every way she feels best. Moya is the type of person who can actually take criticism from those who don't sing or play an instrument, and take it in. Moya Brennan is a woman who knows that criticism, good or bad teaches us things in life, as do mistakes and things that we've all done right. I pray you be more manerly in your next post Jprater.

And if you really want to know about her money; no, Moya is not a billionaire. She said in this book that she's not the person everyone expects her to be. She may have money, but she's not a complete millionaire! She also says that herself and Clannad aren't billionaires, because with their record company budgets, they spent so much money making the albums, and pleasing their fanbase. I hope that is enough information for you.
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to General