The Irish Language - Dead or Alive?

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Is the Irish language Dying? - An bhfuil an Ghaeilge a' básadh?

Yes! - Tá!
30%
No! - Níl!
70%

Total votes : 50

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:30 pm

The Irish language isn't dying,but still needs more support to keep it alive.It's great that it has been made one of the official EU languages,but it never can get enough promotion.I'm glad that my daughter loves learning the beautiful language,more children with this opinion will keep the language going,especially outside the Gaeltacht.
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

The Irish Language - Dead or Alive?

Postby Sugar Land Celt » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:10 am

Alive! :D I visit several forums here in the States devoted to Celtic Music and you always hear requests from people wanting to find places to learn Irish. I think at first people just want to sing along with the songs, (Dulaman is a favorite) but then get to hear how beautiful the language is, and fall in love with it. I, personally, am totally jealous of anyone who can speak Irish fluently! :wink:
Sugar Land Celt

Postby Balazs » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:35 pm

I live in Hungary, and I also would like to learn Irish. And at the university where I study - here in Szeged, Hungary - (Universitas Scientiarum Szegediensis) there is a chance to study Irish Language (in English) but just for the undergraduates from the Faculty of Arts, and "unfortunately" I study at the Faculty of Law (at the International Relations Studies BA major). So I can't study Irish here :(
Well I was younger then
Fond sweeter moments
No worries or cost
Not Guilty or lost
Never afraid to fly
Was never afraid to cry
/Gone are the Days /
Balazs

Postby Anna » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:43 pm

I think there was a time when the language was in grave condition but now it seems to be (slowly) recovering. The fight is not over but I believe the language can be saved. I think it needs something like this - a movie in Scottish Gaelic. I read about it a couple of months ago and then again this morning on the Capercaillie messageboard. Irish language books should be written, Irish language movies should be made, and contemporary Irish language songs should be composed, so that the children who learn Irish at school have opportunities to use what they have learnt.
I will wager you my love a hundred to your one that a maid I'll go to the Broomfield Hill and a maid I will return.
Anna
Enthusiastic Member

Postby KiernanKate » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Actually there a few books being translated and written in Irish, particularly Harry Potter.

I am only an eigth Irish but I am very proud to have Irish heritage, and I am learning Irish to honor that, as well as the Irish fiddle.

As I saw many people on those topic speak in Irish, would anyone be willing to "teach" me? Thanks!!!

oh and yes...... the language in question IS mandatory in schools in Ireland.
My favorite Irish harpist, Orlagh Fallon used to be a teacher and speaks Irish fluently.
KiernanKate

Postby Dubhy63 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:07 pm

Irish is not only mandatory in schools,it's a must for many jobs,especially with the government or council. :)
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Anya Prynn » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:11 pm

I think it's alive, judging by the number of people who manage to fit into the tiny theater where I take language class :). Besides that, one of my teachers his year is from Dublin, and she's been helping me with the Harry Potter book I'm reading in Irish. I think it should be alive, it's such a beautiful language :)
Don't give up now
Don't give up the bit of blue sky
You've got to go to find it
Where all the lights shine brighter
"No One Talks"
Anya Prynn
Addicted to Moya

Postby triadstudio » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:45 pm

I would like to learn Irish in the future and keep it alive! ;)
if bein' lost means never knowin' how it feels without you
triadstudio

Previous

Return to General