Help with a new story please

Got a forum-game you'd like to play or a story you'd like to create or share? This is the place for it! Please do check to make sure we're not already playing the game you have in mind before starting a new thread for it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Grania » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:34 pm

I won't suggest names as you obviously have more than enough to be going on with :lol: Just a thought though.
When I'm choosing a name for a character I tend to think about the character's...well, character :lol: and then find what name best suits them that way, I don't know if that helps at all I just thought I'd say it.

As for surnames, if you're looking for Irish ones I often come across things like 'Fitzgerald' or 'Lavelle' in my reading :) and writing.
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Niamh » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:57 pm

For the pronounciation of irish names you could use this site: http://www.babynamesofireland.com/. the site doesn't include many names, but I'm sure the pronounciation of Niamh and Clodagh is on it. Another site about Irish names I often use is this one:
http://www.namenerds.com/irish/ This site also includes many surnames. And the names are ordered, so if you search for a name with a specific meaning you search for the meaning and will get a list of names.
and.. Niamh would be cool anyway :D
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby KiernanKate » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:24 pm

thank you.... but, aren't you a bit biased about the name Niamh? :P

lol just kidding.
KiernanKate

Postby Niamh » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:05 pm

Of course I am ;)
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

UPDATE/ More help needed please.

Postby KiernanKate » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:25 pm

I finally decided on a name....

Name is Ciara Deveruex

and I need help now with terminology. The story starts off with young 19 yr old Ciara landing in Dublin, in an airport.
What are some of the terms used in airports? Are there any Irish/English terms I should know for my story?
KiernanKate

Postby Angoid » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Aiports? Well, as I've been through a few I may be able to provide a few terms at random:

Security: The general area where you go through the scanners into the departures lounge
Departures Lounge: Shopping centre beyond security with screens up telling you where you need to go and when for your flight departure
Arrivals: Where you go to meeet folk coming in from a flight
Departures: Where you go when you want to fly somewhere
Check-In: When you arrive, you "register" your arrival with the airline and hand over your main luggage so it can be weighed and loaded onto the plane
Immigration: The police desk you pass on entry into a country where they check your passport, visa, any any other documentation, stamp as necessary, and let you into the country (or arrest you if you have drugs!)
Customs: Police desk you pass on entry into a country where you have to declare certain goods, usually for taxation or confiscation purposes.

In Dublin, I expect most things will be up in English but it might be worth getting the Irish words for the places you might find, as they might have a separate word for them.

Hopefully someone who has used Dublin's aiport will be able to post and advise. Usually if you're meeting someone at an airport you'll meet in Arrivals, and arrange to meet at a cafe such as Starbucks. But you need to know whether there is a Starbuck's at Dublin City's airport if your Ciara is going to meet someone there, especially if it's a novel set in the present day.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby KiernanKate » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:21 pm

thank you very much, that is most sincerely appreciated!!!

Now I have to know.... does the airport in Dublin have a name other than Dublin Airport? Thank you!
KiernanKate

Postby Grania » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:20 pm

I've only used it once (once in, once out) but I think it's just Dublin airport.

I don't know if this is helpful but I DO know that the bus to go into the city centre is the 16A from the airport :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby KiernanKate » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:26 pm

thank you Grania. I'm delighted by how helpful everyone here is.
I'm not used to it, but I'm loving it!
KiernanKate

Postby Grania » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 pm

:lol: Get used to it around here :lol:
Just shout if you want to know anything else. I don't know Dublin amazingly well, but I have had the strange experience of being able to find my way around it with little difficulty on only my second visit :D I love that city!

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby KiernanKate » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Say you are entering Ireland from Canada......... or anywhere that is a foreign country... Do you HAVE to go through Customs? even if all you have is clothes?
KiernanKate

Postby Angoid » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:15 pm

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Previous

Return to Games and Stories