Junk Posts or Members with SPAM links

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Junk Posts or Members with SPAM links

Postby Turlough » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:34 am

Some drug ads appeared in the Welcome thread as guests. They need to be cleared away, I think.
Turlough
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Re: Junk Posts in Welcome Thread

Postby wonky_eggs » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:00 am

Sorted - thanks for highlighting them! :D
wonky_eggs

Postby Grania » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:57 pm

:D Well done boys :D They can't have been there too long, I didn't see them earlier.

If any of you ever spot posts similar to those, why not use this thread to let a moderator know right away? I'll set myself to watch this topic so I can get to it nice and quickly :wink:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby ChrisRLG » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Yes

Please post here - for :-

Spam Posts of any type.

Newly registered members - with spam links in thier profile.

PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THOSE LINKS.

Some of those links will lead to sites that install malware on your machine.

if you do follow a link like that by mistake - please use the services of http://forum.malwareremoval.com to check your machine. Is a link at the top for new members to that forum to follow on what to do etc prior to posting.

Please notify here, Angoid or myself will check out any links - our systems are 'hardened' to be able to go to such sites without getting infected. (If we do we know how to clean).
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Angoid » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:13 pm

To keep a note of the spam sites referenced, I'll usually cripple them by changing http: to hxxp: - that renders the link inoperative. Clicking on a link so altered will result in a "The page cannot be found" error page.

However, spam posts (together with links to their rubbish sites) will be removed on sight.

One potential problem is using the mousepad thing on laptops - they're often extremely sensitive, and someone new to using a laptop can inadvertently tap it just enough to make it register as a click. If your mouse pointer is over a hyperlink at the time, then your machine will follow that link.

I know - I've done this far more than once. Fortunately, never on a bad site link though :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Rain » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:24 pm

Thanks for your help Angoid. I was tempted to tell one post I found this morning to just leave, but it's better to not respond to those advertisements no matter how much it gnaws at you to do so. They'll just post more and it gets worse. I alerted a Mod, eventually the post will be gone.

Hate to see that kind of stuff here though.

Please don't follow these teaser ads, even if it looks innocent. I followed a car ad once and it sent me to adult sites. These sites can break your PC with spyware and malware.

Rain
Rain
Enthusiastic Member

Postby cantilena91 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:35 am

SPAM alert again! Please don't go here (mods please delete the topic 'm referring to): http://forums.moyabrennan.com/viewtopic.php?t=2105

(Suvi)
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:54 am

Thank you - I have moved the topic - and I will be editing the profile to remove any links - then banning that member.

BTW - they post once like this - then disappear - they do not come back, so do not waste your time posting to them.

Posting a warning to others - that is fine - as we would not like anyone to follow those links.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Angoid » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:02 pm

I've made a modification to the registration form that should render it nigh on impossible for the spam registration bots to register here now.

Log out, and go to the registration form as if to register a new account - notice anything different?!?!?!?!?!?! :mrgreen:

The two fruits you have to choose are different every time :D
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Macha » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:38 pm

Angoid wrote:Log out, and go to the registration form as if to register a new account - notice anything different?!?!?!?!?!?! :mrgreen:

I've seen it, Angus. Great idea. Hope that reduces spam now.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby fireinsideasnowball » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that today I got a really weird PM from our newest member. This is what it said:

Dear One in Christ,

I am Mrs Celine KANTE ,from Cote D' Ivoire .I am married to late Mr frank KANTE, who worked as a senior manager with the Ivory Coast refinary for Twenty-Six years before he died in the year 2005,after a brief illness that lasted for only five days.

We were married for Eighteen years with a son (mathew) who later died in a motor accident. Before the untimely death of my husband,we were both born again Christians. Since after his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of one Million,Eight hundred Thousand United States Dollars (US$1.8m) in a General Trust Account with a prime bank in Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire. Presently,this money is still with the bank.

Recently,Following my ill health, my Doctor told me that I may not last for the next six months due to my cancer problem.The one that disturbs me most is my stroke sickness.Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to a Christain organization or someone that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct herein,according to the desire of my late husband before his death.

I want this fund to be used in Christain Activities like,Orphanages, Christain schools, and Churches for propagating the word of God and to endeavor that the house of God is maintained. The Bible made us to understand that "Blessed is the hand that giveth". I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians and I don't want my husband's efforts to be used by unbelievers. I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way. This is why I am taking this decision.

I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace". I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health hence the presence of my husband's relatives around me always.I don't want them to know about this development.With God all things are possible.

As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the bank in Abidjan. I will also issue you the documents that will prove you the present beneficiary of this fund. I want you and the Church to always pray for me because the lord is my shephard. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and
Truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life.

Contact me on email address of ( kanteceline1@yahoo.com ) as any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing another person for this same purpose.

Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I Stated herein. Hoping to receive your reply.
Remain blessed in the Lord.

Yours in Christ,

Mrs Celine KANTE

Bizarre, huh? I didn't use the email address, I replied through PM instead and told whoever it is that I couldn't help them! Has anyone else had this weird message? I checked 'her' profile but there are no posts and of course it's not possible to see if she's emailed anyone else.

Obviously I was tempted by the thought of all those dollars, but I had to admit I wouldn't spend a single one of them on Christian-type things :lol:
Is there one bright star..?
fireinsideasnowball

Postby Luned » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:47 pm

I got this message, too, I haven't answered though. It really is strange, isn't it? :roll:
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:53 pm

I haven't got this, but I would see it as spam, definatly!...
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:54 pm

This is what I call Scam Spam :(

Please do not respond to that message. If you receive it, just delete it.

These folk will try anything and everything. Rule number one is, If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Once they have your bank details, you can kiss goodbye to your money.

fireinsideasnowball, thanks for posting this and alerting us to it!
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Piney » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:34 pm

Since this was posted by a member, it would be good to ban the member. This one has made no posts, and used the membership to send the spammed private messages.

I received one, also.
Piney

Next

Return to Administrator