7%
Other
55%
Not sure
27%

Total votes : 44

Postby nessieq » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:28 pm

well,
i think it doesn't really matter what you call moya's music. it's justr so unique it's almost impossible to categorise, and is it really important to put her in a musical box? if wehad to, i say we create a new one. a box labelled "moya music" because i really don't think she belongss anywhere else.
nq.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby richard » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:42 pm

i think moya's first 3 albums were very celtic. then whisper to the wild water and two horizons has added a more new age edge to her sound.
Richard.
richard
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Annika » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:14 pm

Even I don't like to categorize music, I'd say Moya's music has hints of many kinds of music genres. So, I'll vote for "other". It comes from the other world anyway :wink:
Climbing high just to feel free
Dreaming of love everywhere
Annika

what category is moyas music

Postby kevinkells » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:50 am

I voted OTHER because theres such a variety in her music ." Perfect Time " and " Whisper to the Wild Water " I class as mainly Christian..." Misty Eyed Adventures " has a Celtic feel to it, and " Maire" and " Two Horizons " as just Moya.
kevinkells

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:15 pm

Annika wrote:Even I don't like to categorize music, I'd say Moya's music has hints of many kinds of music genres. So, I'll vote for "other". It comes from the other world anyway :wink:

Why categorize? Just listen and enjoy! 8)
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim

Postby Grania » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:53 pm

I haven't voted, because I don't think you can categorise Moya, Enya or Clannad's music as anything - - - They are in a class all of their own!!! :D :D :D :D
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby nessieq » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:05 pm

Grania wrote:I haven't voted, because I don't think you can categorise Moya, Enya or Clannad's music as anything - - - They are in a class all of their own!!! :D :D :D :D

couldn't have said it better myself.
nq.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Brennan-Bot » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:47 am

Not to sound too cheesy, but Moya's music is probably in a league of its own, you know?
You can't really classify it.
You have new age, christian, rock, hip hop and Moya.
see what I mean?
I am the Brennan-Bot! Fear me tiny men!
Brennan-Bot

Postby maguire » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:59 am

nessieq wrote:
Grania wrote:I haven't voted, because I don't think you can categorise Moya, Enya or Clannad's music as anything - - - They are in a class all of their own!!! :D :D :D :D

couldn't have said it better myself.
nq.

Agreed.

The main advantage of classifying music is that you hopefully can zoom in on other music like it.

What else out there is like Two Horizons?
maguire

Postby Garbo » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:21 am

you can't put it in a genre. it's like mary margaret o'hara... moya's christian, celtic, folk, maybe a little techno, a little underground, some african beats... etc.
Garbo

Postby Maya85 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:20 am

for me has Moya´s music only one category and it is -Moya. I cannot put it on any categories.It´s simply Moya :)
Maya85

Postby Angoid » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:50 am

I'd agreee that not only is it in a CATEGORY by itself, but also a CLASS of its own too :D

I haven't yet voted because it's not easy:
  • New Age: This term is often misunderstood. Religiously, it is an "umbrella" term that covers all manner of pagan practices as well as many meditation systems that are based on Eastern religious thought and philosophy. As far as music is concerned though, New Age music is not only meditation music but has mushroomed out into a genre of its own. I personally don't have a problem (musically speaking) with the expression "Christian New Age" as you can get Christian music that has a New Age feel to it. Some of Moya's music is definitely there. Religiously though, "Christian New Age" would be a contradiction in terms!
  • Christian: Certainly WTTWW and Perfect Time are Christian, but not all the others. So you cannot specifically categorise Moya as Christian for that reason.
  • Other: As has been pointed out, this implies you can categorise Moya into one other category, and this is not possible .... hang on!! No!!! :idea: it IS the correct answer! It's in a category of its own called "Moya Music"! Going back to vote when I've finished this thesis.
  • Not Sure: No need to comment now on this option!

It's the music industry that likes to categorise it, not us. Personally I don't think of it as being any given type (possibly "Celtic" or "Irish" if anything) I just enjoy the music.

When I searched for Two Horizons, I asked for it as I couldn't see it anywhere. It was in stock .... in the Country and Western section :roll: :shock:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Grania » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:01 pm

Ouch - do you have the same Country and Western problem down there as we do here Angus?

My answer to this is that you simply can't classify Moya and Clannad!!!! they are Brennan - will that do as a catagory? "Brennan" :lol:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Maya85 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:30 am

Hey Grania you are totally right! "Brennan" category!! That´s great!! :D
Maya85

Postby Angoid » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Ouch - do you have the same Country and Western problem down there as we do here Angus?

Yes, unfortunately. At least I know where to look in future if all else fails :mrgreen:

My answer to this is that you simply can't classify Moya and Clannad!!!! they are Brennan - will that do as a category? "Brennan

Exactly why 'other' is the correct answer to this poll :lol: and then you qualify it saying that the 'other' category is 'Brennanesque" :lol:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General