related artists

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

what do you think is the best related artist or group?

Iona
7%
Eden's bridge
3%
Clannad
45%
Enya
39%
other
6%

Total votes : 69

Postby youremyenergy79 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:13 am

clannad!!!!
against the wind
youremyenergy79
Addicted to Moya

Postby richard » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:31 pm

i would have to vote for other artists, like sarah brightman/ the chieftains/ secret garden & capercaillie
Richard.
richard
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Nigel » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:30 am

richard wrote:i would have to vote for other artists, like sarah brightman/ the chieftains/ secret garden & capercaillie

Sarah Brightman!! I totally agree with you richard :mrgreen:
Nigel
Addicted to Moya

well .....

Postby hammo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:12 pm

ofcox its sarah brightman i totally agree with u two guys . .. n about enya , i think she is more into new age than celtic , n moya has clearly said so many times tht her music is not new age , so tht my beleif tc :D
hammo

Re: well .....

Postby sweetbluenurse » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:31 pm

hammo wrote:ofcox its sarah brightman i totally agree with u two guys . .. n about enya , i think she is more into new age than celtic , n moya has clearly said so many times tht her music is not new age , so tht my beleif tc :D

Eithne has specifally said she does not like to catorgorize her music. It's just Enya she says. Retailers are the one's to put her in new age. She has said this before. :mrgreen:

Ps..Welcome to the fourm Hammo.
Last edited by sweetbluenurse on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweetbluenurse
Enthusiastic Member

Postby sweetbluenurse » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:36 pm

I vote Clannad :-) Wooo hoo! :D :D :D
sweetbluenurse
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Angoid » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:44 am

Heck!!!!!! This is actually quite an old thread, yet I've only just seen it!!!

I'm in agreement that it's Clannad.

As for Enya, and I know this will set the cat amongst the pigeons for some people, but I know about the "Enya-esque" unique categorisation of Enya's music, and as many here do know I also enjoy listening to Enya.

However, I'm not unhappy to categorise her music as New Age because looking at the covers of some of her CDs and reading some of the notes (especially in OT:TC) I see such terms as "Spirit child" being used ..... that's heavily a New Age concept.

There are other things that leap out at me as well which I won't go into here, but I've sometimes sensed a "darkness" about some of Enya's music, which clears up immediately if I follow it with something such as WTTWW, some Eden's Bridge, or some Robin Mark.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Methica » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:45 am

Angoid wrote:However, I'm not unhappy to categorise her music as New Age because looking at the covers of some of her CDs and reading some of the notes (especially in OT:TC) I see such terms as "Spirit child" being used ..... that's heavily a New Age concept.

I think you're taling about Isobella now aren't you... That the "spirit child of Enya... :P
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:51 am

That's the one, Methica :lol: and again, it's one of the tracks I do like but it leaves a "dark" feeling afterwards :cry:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Bi Liom » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:23 pm

I didn't know 'Spirit Child' was a New Age concept. What's that all about?

I've always thought and still think that the 'spirit child' in Isobella was a ghost and not a 'muse/inspiration'.

The lyrics seems to point to someone who has already passed on. Oh well.

Sometimes Celtic music is classified as New Age too. Moya appears under New Age in some of the music stores. I guess sometimes classification has its limitations when people cross musical genres or are simply un-classifiable. I can find Enya under Pop but not Moya. So what gives? :?:

I voted for Enya cos she's my favourite. I know Clannad is more related to Moya in terms of sound but I prefer Moya over Clannad. :D
Bi Liom

Postby Ardens » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:58 pm

Bi Liom wrote:I didn't know 'Spirit Child' was a New Age concept. What's that all about?

I've always thought and still think that the 'spirit child' in Isobella was a ghost and not a 'muse/inspiration'.

The lyrics seems to point to someone who has already passed on. Oh well.

Mhh...it's not quite clear what "Isobella" is really about. It's one of Enya's most mysterious songs.
I imagined this "sprit child" to be something like an inner child, a part of personality rather than a ghost, but reading the lyrics one can also understand it the other way round.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

My Vote is for Clannad!! :D
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby Roibeard Óg » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:18 pm

Jim wrote:
altennis wrote:Altan is another band that will satisfy most Moya fans.

True, especially if you are a fan of Clannad's music from the 70s. If so, you would probably also like, Lunasa, Steeleye Span, the Bothy Band, or Planxty.

If you liked Clannad in the 80s, you would go for Blackmore's Night or Loreena McKennitt.

If you liked Clannad in the 90s, Mary Black or Sissel should fit the bill.

Personally, I liked Clannad in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, so I'll take all of the above!

Altan have to be my favorite band of all time (after Clannad that is :D because they are just so amazing and friendly!!). Mairéad reminds me of Moya. May before last I was sitting chatting away and singing with her in the Clanree hotel (where's the Brennan Family Tribute happened). I always find an artist's music a lot more interesting when I get to chat to them.

I voted other, because to me, although Clannad and Moya are very simillar in that their ideas are fresh and energetic, I'm leaning more towards Moya and Cara Dillon. Signature is especially similar to Cara Dillon's album 'Sweet Liberty'. Listen to 'Where are You', and especially to the bit where the bagpipes come in!! Another amazing group (supergroup) are Solas, another of my faves - and to end with this ramble - Cherish the Ladies, Heidi Talbot (their singer) has a Moya-like voice. :]
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby pietree » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:27 am

I voted for Clannad because I think Moya sang the most beautiful songs when she performed with Clannad. But I also like Loreena Mckennitt. Her style is quite similar to Enya's but in my opinion Loreena's music is much more emotional.
"Forgotten is the race that no one knows"
pietree
Enthusiastic Member

Postby gregoing » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:46 pm

pietree wrote:...I also like Loreena Mckennitt. Her style is quite similar to Enya's but in my opinion Loreena's music is much more emotional.

I would have to agree with you. Ever since I got to see Loreena live in December and meet her as well, I've been a much bigger fan of hers than I had ever been before. And yes, in my opinion, her music (at least her newer stuff, from the Book of Secrets on) is very emotional (which I think partially stems out of her fiance's accident where he drowned). I love Enya's music, but while I love it, sometimes it seems to me that it's somewhat overproduced, sometimes to the degree that it seems like the emotion is lost. Songs like If I Could Be Where You Are and such others are a very welcome exception. But Loreena's music - oh, man! The emotion is very present in every song - even in the instrumental ones. In that aspect she definitely has Enya beat.

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Previous

Return to General