Any Trekkies?

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Do you consider yourself a Trekkie?

Beam me out of 21st century Earth!
22%
No, just a fan...
33%
Sshh...I don't want my friends to know!
No votes
What's a Trekkie?
8%
I prefer real life soaps...
6%
Just a plain 'no'
31%

Total votes : 36

Postby Ardens » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Am I the only one here who thinks that Picard is the best captain? :(
He is wise, he has interesting hobbies and he is much more relaxed than a real man would ever be in life-threatening situations.
Janeway usually looks as if she was stressed and she has a cold charisma. I'm not sure if I would like her if she was my captain.
My favourite female "Star Trek"-character is Beverly Crusher. It's a pity that she is only a minor character in many episodes.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Oh, I love Picard as well, don't worry - I'm also a femminist :wink: No, they both rule the roost, on different occasions.

You like Beverly too? What about Deanna? She's my favourite, always :)
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Methica » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:30 pm

Grania wrote:Oh, I love Picard as well, don't worry - I'm also a femminist :wink: No, they both rule the roost, on different occasions.

You like Beverly too? What about Deanna? She's my favourite, always :)

Deanna is cool, Beverly is a really lovely doctor!
Though I like Janeway more Picard is really good too!!
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:33 pm

Has anyone seen 'First Contact'? It's on TV tomorrow but I'm going to have to miss it :(

Ah well....must find that video!

Which is the best film in your opinions?

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby koseklumpen » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:23 pm

Grania wrote:Oh, I love Picard as well, don't worry - I'm also a femminist :wink: No, they both rule the roost, on different occasions.

Hehe, to be honest, I never really knew who Picard was, because I have never watched a single start trek episode in my life. But in Huddersfield they kept telling me that Patrick Steward alias Jean Luc Picard is the chancellor of our university!!! Isn't that funny?
So any fans, you have to come to Huddersfield university :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D (well I've never seen him around but they say he will be here for graduation, so next year as a gratuade I might get the chance... :wink:
Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
koseklumpen
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:39 pm

I've heard that! Lucky you Christina :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Methica » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:30 am

Insurrection is coming on tv here thursday!! ;) :P
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby the whistleplayer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:20 am

Ardens, this 'why Janeway is better than Picard' is just for fun! Actually, I think they're both great characters, and wonderfully played by Kate Mulgrew and Patrick Steward.
Both Picard and Janeway work in very different circumstances. Janeway has to be the captain of a crew that finds itself tenthousands of lightyears away from home. Everyone would be stressed in those circumstances! I really don't agree with you on the point that Janeway would have a 'cold charisma'. I think Kate Mulgrew very successfully formed her character as being both a captain you would never even think of crossing and a captain who can be your friend. She's a very strong leader, determined to get her crew safely back to the alpha quadrant (and you would have to be a very strong leader to accomplish that!) but also a person with warm feelings and passion, and a person who deals (successfully, helped by- amongst others- Chakotay, Tuvok and Neelix) with her own feelings of despair (wondering if they will ever get home) and insecurity, but never stops being an optimist! In fact, in the British Star Trek Magazine, she's often been described as a sort of mother to her crew. I think it was a brilliant move by the producers to have a strong female captain in Voyager!
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer

Postby Ardens » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:26 pm

I must admit that I'm much more familiar with TNG than with Voyager. That's maybe one of the reasons why I have some prejudices concerning the Voyager characters. I wish they would show the series on TV again, then I could finally watch some more episodes.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby the whistleplayer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:42 pm

I know what you mean Ardens, I had it too before I got into Voyager. I just liked TNG so much that I didn't want to get to know the Voyager characters and stories... But then they re-broadcasted the whole series, and I started to watch :) I just hope they're going to release Voyager as a budget repack, like they did with TNG!
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer

Postby Grania » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:21 pm

I've just seen a tiny clip on a television program, about this guy who collects Star Trek things - his flat is done out like the Enterprise :shock: I mean the computer terminals, transporters, the works......all the furnature, laser light, you name it, it's there (he showed them around dressed in post-DS9 uniform)

And couldn't understand why he couldn't sell the flat :shock:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby eadgyth » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:26 pm

Grania wrote:And couldn't understand why he couldn't sell the flat

:lol: :lol: Neither can I :wink:

I'm not really too much of a star trek fan anymore, I used to watch it a lot on TV when I was a kid. Somehow Spok reminded me of my grandfather, they had some similar characteristics :roll:. At some point in time I lost track of all the different series and seasons and kept confusing the storylines, this is when I decided to give up on it. I'm more of a Star Wars fan now.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
eadgyth
Addicted to Moya

Postby stephw » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:25 am

Yes, I know that the reasons that Janeway is better than Picard is for fun, but I have something to say about it. Some of those reasons have nothing to do the captains! The chief engineer, the first officer, the conn officer, and the ops officers have nothing to do with the captain. The ship maybe, but not the captain.

For me, it is a toss up between TNG and Voyager and between Picard and Janeway. Both captains worked well where they were. Janeway was a strong character and a strong woman character. I agree that she was the mother of the ship. I think of her as a "momma bear." Kate Mulgrew did an excellent job with creating her.

I could go on forever. More later (I hope).

Stephanie
stephw
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:38 am

stephw wrote:Yes, I know that the reasons that Janeway is better than Picard is for fun, but I have something to say about it. Some of those reasons have nothing to do the captains! The chief engineer, the first officer, the conn officer, and the ops officers have nothing to do with the captain. The ship maybe, but not the captain.

I agree with you there completely. One of the points on the list is the line 'take this cheese to sickbay'....wasn't that B'lanna's line?

(sorry, I think I spelt that wrong) :oops:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Grania » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:54 pm

I've found some silly trivia stuff that a friend sent me a long time ago. I don't agree with all of the points in the Janeway/Picard piece, I didn't write any of it and I'm sorry to say I don't know the original source - but it's a giggle anyway.
I've edited some of the less appropriate comments out - if you really want a fully copy you'll have to pm me :lol:

Why Janeway is better than Picard.

 One word: hair
 More hair than all the previous Star Trek commanding officers combined
 Drinks coffee not that sissy “Earl Grey” stuff
 Beams down to the planet like a real captain should
 Mutes the doctor when he gets out of line
 Hasn’t let an adolescent pilot the Federation Flagship, yet…
 Commanded ships blown up: Picard-2, Janeway-2.
 Voyager needs a female Captain. Its captain must be willing to admit that they’re lost and pull over to ask for directions.
 Picard likes to talk his way through; Janeway likes to punch her way through.
 Hasn’t quoted Shakespeare, yet…
 Looks better in sleepwear (I don’t think so, but!)
 Isn’t French with an English accent
 “Take this cheese to sickbay” – loved that line
 Will give you two days off to ponder your life shattering experiences.
 When Janeway lands her ship on a planet, it can take off again.
 Janeway says “I don’t like you” to her enemies instead of trying to convince them to behave better.
 To comfort children, Janeway cares for them in a loving motherly way. Picard sings a song…in French…about a monk…who can’t wake up for morning bells.
 The only children on Voyager can be turned off at will.
 Janeway has a first officer with a tattoo.
 She doesn’t have any pesky Federation Admirals to get in her way. (Well a journey of 70,000 light years may put them off!)
 Three words: Compression Phaser Rifles
 Acknowledges freely when she breaks the Prime Directive instead of trying to weasel out of it with philosophical ramblings.

 30 episodes without surrendering the ship.
 Janeway’s holo programs create useful things like doctors and lungs. Picard’s holodecks create maniacal evil geniuses that yet again take over the ship.
 She doesn’t need to straighten her uniform every time she stands.
 Janeway has never worn green tights and frolicked around in Sherwood Forest.
 Cheese
 Doesn’t force her crew to wear awful outfits unless it is to blend in with a primitive planet.
 She doesn’t waste time learning foreign languages. All lifeforms in the Delta Quadrant speak perfect English.
 Her engineer does not wear a banana clip over her eyes. (Well Geordi would have been in trouble without it)
 Doesn’t have a counsellor on board
 Her telepath only lives 9 years
 Janeway heard the words “To boldly go where no man (erm…woman) has gone before” and took them to the extreme.
 45,000 light-years is one thing. Every point in the universe instantaneously? That’s excessive.
 Picard tells alien cultures “I hope our two cultures will one day come to a greater understanding”. Janeway threatens them with the “deadliest of force”.
 Janeway’s security chief would never grow a ponytail. (ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!)
 The high point of enterprise cuisine was scrambled eggs that only Worf could stomach.
 Janeway doesn’t have to point which way to go when they set off.
 Maintains an elaborate hairstyle that would baffle even Princess Leia.
 Has mastered facial expression understood by all to mean, “Boy, Paris, are YOU ever stupid!”
 Cheese, Cheese, Cheese, Cheese, Cheese, Cheese
 Hugs her Vulcan from time to time
 Has a more manly voice
 Doesn’t have a starship that splits in two when it is in a tight spot.
 Has a dog and a significant other, not some fish!
 Kes. Troi. No contest. (I disagree with this one. I prefer Troi)
 Neelix. Replicator. Ok, this one is debatable.
 At least she doesn’t have to yell “Hot!” at her chef every time she wants something to drink.
 Her ship has neat-looking folding warp nacelles
 Her CONN officer actually went through the academy.
 Her OPS officer can use contractions.
 Her first officer has a hallucinogenic device.

 None of the crewmembers relatives have ever tried to take over the ship, invade the federation, steal a starship, or enslave all humankind.
 To help her relax, Janeway’s first officer helps her contact her spirit guide. Picard’s first officer helps him get… to Risa.
 Riker never smiled at Picard in that way.
 Q asked Janeway to run away with him and she refused. Q asked Picard’s girlfriend to run away with him and she accepted.

Sorry it's so long! I also have a shorter bit titled 'signs you're turning into a Vulcan' if you'd like it :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space