Moya in an empty venue (empty of chairs, I mean!)

Memories of shows, dreams of shows to come

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

If Moya/Clannad would give a concert without chairs in the room, would you get up and dance?

Oh yes, definitely!!
75%
What?! get up and dance? Me? oh no definitely not I would feel so awkward
25%

Total votes : 28

Postby Siobhan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:45 am

nessieq wrote:From what i've heard clannad performed 'without chairs' quite a lot in their day- i'm all for it! *gets out lemon and irish dance shoes* I remember a concert in belfast a while back- a summer evening, altan on the stage of Custom House Square, and a few hundred people doing riverdance impressions amidst police sniffer dogs due to a bomb scare- Believe it or not it was FANTASTIC fun and an experience i'd love to repeat with clannad- perhaps minus the bombs :lol:
I've also been at a moya concert without chairs- open air at the beatiful night concert- i danced so much moya noticed me from the stage and stiffled a giggle :mrgreen: I would SO do that again, ridiculous moves, arms swaying, the works- great craic!!

Yeah, I also remember clearly being the only person standing and dancing in a open air concert venue in Sopot called the Forest Opera.
And I also remember watching this Moya`s performance on TV later and seeing her trying not to giggle when she spotted me in the audience. :lol:

And I`m soooo eager to repeat it. :lol:
And so - this is where I should be now
Days and nights falling by...
Siobhan
Addicted to Moya

Postby wonky_eggs » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:41 am

Ancient_Snowfall wrote:How exactly does one dance to Brennan music, anyway? I haven't witnessed it firsthand yet, so I'm having some trouble picturing it. I bet some of you could quite easlly answer this, though. :lol: :wink:

Lol, I was thinking the same. I know Moya encourages people to get up and dance when there's space in front of the stage, but I can't imagine dancing to it! Probably because they don't teach folk dancing in this country anymore (bad, bad schools not teaching important things like this :wink: ). I'd love to do a bit of dancing though - maybe Moya can teach me at the Gateshead concert... :lol:
wonky_eggs

Postby Grania » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:15 pm

Well, if you think about it, songs like 'Against the Wind', 'Closer to your heart', 'Teidhir Abhaile Riu' ( 8) ) and similar are all very dance-worthy.

And I agree with Wonky egss - we should learn proper dancing!!!
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Hester » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:48 pm

koseklumpen wrote: But I have to say that not all of Moya's/Clannad's songs are suitable for dancing... I can imagine that it would be really strange to stand in a crowded room when listening to Perfect time, black night or Oro.
Completely agree that not all music is suitable for (enthousiastic) dancing...but one could even move on beautiful slow ballads :D

youremyenergy79 wrote:I danced in Rotterdam!!but in my seat!
I love dancing when moya sing songs like Teidhir Abhaile Riu or Dulaman...
Hester next time we'll dance together,I remember your performance :lol:
:wink: you were so funny!
:lol: Hold that thought! Cause I am going to hold you on to that, I won't forget :wink:

Ancient_Snowfall wrote:How exactly does one dance to Brennan music, anyway? I haven't witnessed it firsthand yet, so I'm having some trouble picturing it. I bet some of you could quite easlly answer this, though. :lol: :wink:
Oh no problem at all, like Grania mentions loads of songs to dance to and then she hasn't even mentioned our legendary "many faces" dance :mrgreen:
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Wil » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm not a good dancer, so Moya doesn't have to see my "movements".
I probably make not a good impression with my lack of rythm. :mrgreen:

Sorry for the bad way i use my english.
Hope you understand what i mean. hahahahaha
Music is my first love, and it will be my last.......
Wil
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Hester wrote:
Oh no problem at all, like Grania mentions loads of songs to dance to and then she hasn't even mentioned our legendary "many faces" dance :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
How could I forget? :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby nessieq » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:13 pm

As for me, even in a venue that suited dancing, I cannot picture myself actually doing any. I am most certainly in the non-dancing group. I don't even dance when I'm at dances! Sort of defeats the purpose, but... :P

*resists urge to get video cam out and demonstrate*

Now there's an idea :lol: We should all contribute a few seconds of 'against the wind' and edit it all together- that'd make SUCH a funny clip

*rolls around laughing at the idea*
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Paul K. » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:42 pm

A few years ago Moya performed in Amsterdam, in Paradiso. A venue without seats.
Paul K.
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Maya85 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:46 pm

I voted and Im for dancing :mrgreen:
Make my heart a better place
Maya85

Postby Hester » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:08 pm

Paul K. wrote:A few years ago Moya performed in Amsterdam, in Paradiso. A venue without seats.

Well, maybe it is a venue without seats normally...but during that concert the hall was filled with chairs. That is if we're talking about the same concert: february 11th 2004?! First time I saw Moya live...
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Paul K. » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:15 pm

I don't know, I wasn't there. I found it on the website of Cormac. But on the picture you can't see the audience.
Paul K.

Postby Macha » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:12 pm

If I would dance on a Moya/Clannad concert, I'd feel very awkward. :oops: I can't dance very well.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Hester » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:34 am

Paul K. wrote:I don't know, I wasn't there. I found it on the website of Cormac. But on the picture you can't see the audience.

Well..I was there... :wink: I checked out his website (cool pictures btw, how cool they actually do backstage sessions together) and it says Paradiso 2004 and since they only played in Paradiso once that year it has to be that particular concert. Oh well, it doesn't really matter off course :mrgreen: As a matter of fact it's a bit off topic
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:30 am

Everyone's saying they don't dance well....in that sort of situation it really wouldn't matter! :D Moya's concerts are about having a good time, no one would be judging you :wink:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Siobhan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:12 pm

nessieq wrote:

As for me, even in a venue that suited dancing, I cannot picture myself actually doing any. I am most certainly in the non-dancing group. I don't even dance when I'm at dances! Sort of defeats the purpose, but... :P

*resists urge to get video cam out and demonstrate*

Now there's an idea :lol: We should all contribute a few seconds of 'against the wind' and edit it all together- that'd make SUCH a funny clip

*rolls around laughing at the idea*

You know that "Against the wind" is actually not-quite-traditional-but-still a reel? :mrgreen:
And so - this is where I should be now
Days and nights falling by...
Siobhan
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Moya live