7%
Other
55%
Not sure
27%

Total votes : 44

What category is Moya's music?

Postby Daragh » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:34 pm

I was just thinking about how Moya is always put in the New Age category for the Grammy awards so I would like to know what the fans think and maybe we can let the industry know our thoughts also.

Help me out here :?:

Daragh
Daragh

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:01 pm

I would not classify her as "New Age". I associate that term more with synth-based instrumental music, which her music is most definitely not. I also associate that term with neo-pagan philosophy, to which she does not subscribe.

I think that term, in association with her music, comes from the music industry's tendency to pigeonhole everything into a category, and everything that can't be pigeonholed otherwise is put into the "New Age" category.

I would put her in the "Moyabrennan" category. She is one of a kind! :D
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim
Really Enthusiastic Member

Not sure...

Postby gregoing » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:01 pm

Hi, everyone. I voted "not sure" because some of her music could be classified as New Age, and some as Christian. I think her first two albums and her latest one could be classified as New Age, while "Perfect Time" and "Whisper to the Wild Water" Christian. I didn't vote "New Age" or "Christian" because I don't think you can really place all five of her albums into one category. Nor did I vote "other" because I don't really believe you could list her music into another category except Folk (yet when many people think of folk, they think of traditional, old-sounding music, which I don't see Moya's music as being) or Classical (again, I don't think classical would be appropriate for Moya's music, either)...

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Ageless Messanger » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:35 pm

Also voted for 'Not Sure' because I'm not really sure, either, as to what her music would be classified as.

A.M.
Believe me
I'm not afraid
Teach me
To learn Your ways
Carry me
Under Your wings
In Your perfect time-Maire Brennan
Ageless Messanger
Enthusiastic Member

Location: Feeling 22, Acting 17, This is the craziest I have ever been

Other

Postby Richard Fethers » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:48 pm

I voted Other as I think Moya's music is neither New Age or Christian. More Celtic because of the influence her "harp" playing has. Its definitely of a modern strand of Celtic in its instrumentation but in many instances based on folk law....and what a voice!
Cheers,
Richard
Richard Fethers

Postby Endymion » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:50 am

For me is New Age/Celtic/Jazz or simply Moya.
Moya,Enya and Clannad are in the same category that I want to follow in music.
Endymion
Enthusiastic Member

I'm not sure either!

Postby cantilena91 » Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:41 am

For me, Moya's music is only wonderful to be listened to and very beautifully done, so I don't like categorising her music at all! There's no need for categorising, I think...

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Mike:-) » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:52 am

Well said, Suvi. For us, fans, there's no need for categorising Moya's music. But it's the thing to do for the music industry (they just have to be sure where to place the CD in the shops). As Moya's music is so complex, they've got a big problem :D
Mike:-)

Postby Phantas » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:23 am

I voted "Other" because I too believe Moya is a representative of "Celtic" music (instead of just FOLK).

I wouldn't put her music under Christian as, although many songs by her are aimed at God etc., I also believe many "pagans" (like me, considering I do not believe in God) like listening to her music, even though it has a Christian message.
To put her under New Age is going a bit too far, as I wouldn't be able to relax to any of her cd's, and because her music is very world-like. So categorize her under World Music, really, if you must.

to Vote not sure means, to me at least, that you don't have a clue what Moya's music sounds like, IMHO, to be honest. No offence :)

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

"other"...

Postby gregoing » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:35 pm

Phantas wrote:to Vote not sure means, to me at least, that you don't have a clue what Moya's music sounds like, IMHO, to be honest. No offence :)

No offense taken. But I would have voted "other" if I knew exactly which category to place it under. lol - it would have been a lot easier if it was "other[s]"! Then I would say folk, celtic, and world. And from what I hear of the clips of Two Horizons (everyone, I don't have the whole CD yet and I haven't heard it yet, either, so don't blast me!), it seems, too me, to be sort-of light-poppy. Or so that's what I call it! But I definitely wouldn't classify it as pop music.

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Dennisa » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:43 am

I voted for other because I think she has a style that is called Modern Celtic, how about that?

bye bye, Dennis
You calmed the waters, called on the storms to die with faith, how we look to the sky. Our nations build from the same rock, not the sand, Oh Lord You can heal this land.
Dennisa

Postby the whistleplayer » Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:09 pm

I would say 'other', I think her music is quite unique. Like Jim I would call it 'Brennan-music'. It would definately suit Bartley's tourist cd played in Leo's :wink:
I don't think it is 'Celtic' music, because I think that 'Celtic music' doesn't exist. For details, or discussion, visit my website (www.geocities.com/andrea_clannad) 8)
the whistleplayer
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Embers » Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:13 pm

I voted for 'Not sure' because I really don't understand too much about classifying music. I seem to like music that can't be put into any cathegory. Enya and Moya... well, Enya is said to have her own genre - simply Enya. Can't Moya's music just be called 'Moya' then? :D

Hmmm... Or how about a nice new cathegory called Brennan, for these wonderful Irish ladies? :wink: :idea:
Image Embers ... Great minds think alike.
Embers

Postby mise » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:19 pm

Well I thought I would digg up this topic and give it a new life.
I voted for other. I do not believe that being a christian makes your music christian, nor do I think New Age defines Máire's music. To me New Age music is a continues drone and very much synthesizer music, very unlike Máire's music. So other it is! I think it is contempory music with a close relation to the folk section.

Does that make any sense? :wink:
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby AndyPandy » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:04 pm

I voted "not sure" because I don't really know what new age is supposed to mean, and what happens when new age becomes old age? Its not a term that I understand really.
I wouldn't put her in the Christian category, as not all her songs are related to her faith and you don't have to be Christian to listen to them anyway.
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to General