Saving Tara

Ancient meeting place of the High Kings

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, gregoing, Grania, All Moderators

Do you want a motorway built over Tara! - Ar mhaith leatsa Motárbhealach bheith tógtha ar Teamhair?

Yes!
2%
No!
98%
Not Sure??
No votes

Total votes : 61

Postby Ardens » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:00 pm

I think that it's a pity that ancient places like Tara get lost or are altered that much that they loose their ancient charme.
I have recently been to the Cliffs Of Moher and I was quite shocked about what was happening there. It was a construction site! :shock:
I was especially shocked about the huge buildings that they're about to build for touristic purposes.
On the one hand it's great that tourism brings money to Ireland, the living standard rises and many things become better. Since I was a tourist myself, I can't complain about tourism in general. But on the other hand, it is sad that the old faces of the landscape and the towns are changed that radically. Some towns have become very touristic and if you go there, you'll probably see more Germans and French than Irish.
Ireland is surely in a difficult situation now, it's not easy to find a good balance between becoming modern and keeping old things.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:14 pm

I know what you mean.. the south of ireland is sooo tourist orientated- it kind of bugs me that some times, like you say, the old is being replaced by the new, bright, brash and tourist orientated. What a lot of the people dont realise is that so many people come to ireland for the sake of its old monuments and stuff- not all the newer things they're spending so much money putting in. Like you say- it's a matter of achieving a balance.. but when the tide of new things starts to overwhelm the old it gets a little scary!!
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby kevinkells » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:56 am

Simi wrote:
kevinkells wrote:Simi, Thanks again for those pictures ( photos ). Glendalough was one of my favourite places too; I took heaps of photos there. On tour we could only stay there for a couple of hours, but I would have spent the whole day there if I could. And I agree with you about Tara also; It is a beautiful and enchanting place. Being there I felt part of it's history; sounds weird doesn't it ?

Maybe it sounds a bit weird but I agree with you.
You can find a particular charm at these old places. This charm enfolds all Ireland. The beautiful landscape, the history, the kindness of the people.
And I feel a longing for this island I can not explain. Maybe my heart knows why - but my mind can not recognise. But it doesn't matter. All what I have to know, is that I feel indescribably good if I am in Ireland. It's a feeling as I would come home. Is this weird? Maybe! But I don't mind that.
I have similar feelings too Simi, esp. having a strong Irish ancestry. I envy you being so close to that part of the world... LET'S KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON TARA ! :x
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby grace » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:45 am

I can't believe that anyone could even think of building a four lane highway anywhere near Tara! Just to make a commute shorter! :x I hope this never, ever happens. There's no telling what all could be buried under Tara, and in the surrounding countryside, that would be destroyed by a highway being built there.
Grace
grace

Postby Simi » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:12 pm

Yes, I agree with you Grace. Tara must remain this indescribably beautiful and historical place which it is!
I remember an -well, I don't know if it was an highway, let's say it was a wide road- maybe one or two miles away from Tara. That's close enough I think!!!
Of what benefit would it be to me if Christ had been born a thousand times, and it would daily be sung into my ears in a most lovely manner, if I were never to hear that he was born for me and was to be my very own? (Martin Luther)
Simi
Enthusiastic Member

Postby eadgyth » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:18 am

I remeber signing an oline petition someone posted at the Capercaillie forum, but that was ages ago...does anyone know if the road has been built in the meantime or if the project was put on hold?
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
eadgyth
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:13 pm

If anyone's interested, this cause now has a myspace, a very informative one too.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =106457928
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby sweetbluenurse » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:27 pm

Methica wrote:I have never been in Ireland, so I never been to the hill of Tara... I´m planning to, but with my 15 years ols, I´m not sure that my folks will let me go...
But still I voted no!!
This hill, mountain, is for great imporance of the history and stories of Ireland... I think it´s absurd to build a motorway across it... That wil RUIN the whole landscape!!!
I say NO!!!!!

Methica

I said no too. I agree methica, it is filled with Ireland's history and will ruin the beautiful landscape. I haven't been to Ireland either, but one day would love to take a trip. I've seen pictures of Tara and it looks sooooooo beautiful.
sweetbluenurse
Enthusiastic Member

Postby dids » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:42 pm

I voted NO. Historical and cultural places cannot be sacrified on the altar of a presumed progress...
dids

Postby kevinkells » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:46 am

dids wrote:I voted NO. Historical and cultural places cannot be sacrified on the altar of a presumed progress...
"PRESUMED PROGRESS", Spot on dids ! Hands off Tara and it's surrounds !!! :x :x :x
kevinkells

Postby Roibeard Óg » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:50 pm

eadgyth wrote:I remeber signing an oline petition someone posted at the Capercaillie forum, but that was ages ago...does anyone know if the road has been built in the meantime or if the project was put on hold?

I think I also signed that petition! As far as I know the government plan to go ahead with the motorway - but there might be some chage. They've been criticised over the new Dublin motorway, that hasn't even been built properly after years of building work. A mess has been made of it, so fingers crossed there's massive oposition and more criticism put towards the government!
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby kevinkells » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:59 am

Roibeard Óg wrote:
eadgyth wrote:I remeber signing an oline petition someone posted at the Capercaillie forum, but that was ages ago...does anyone know if the road has been built in the meantime or if the project was put on hold?

I think I also signed that petition! As far as I know the government plan to go ahead with the motorway - but there might be some chage. They've been criticised over the new Dublin motorway, that hasn't even been built properly after years of building work. A mess has been made of it, so fingers crossed there's massive oposition and more criticism put towards the government!
Amen to that Roibeard Og, ! I think I signed a petition sometime ago also.
kevinkells

Postby Anya Prynn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:21 am

Noooooo..... no motorway :(

I'm all for progress, but not when it destorys the beauty of ancient, wonderful sites like Tara.
Don't give up now
Don't give up the bit of blue sky
You've got to go to find it
Where all the lights shine brighter
"No One Talks"
Anya Prynn
Addicted to Moya

Postby Jvan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:23 am

I voted 'no'. Simply because a place full of natural beauty and history can't be destroyed for a motorway.... Someone has to find another solution to that... :x
Image Image Image
Jvan

Postby sarahCat210 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:14 am

I also signed the petition. That place is too beautiful :mrgreen:

SC
sarahCat210
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to The Hill of Tara