Your Latest Albums

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Your Latest Albums

Postby wonky_eggs » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:56 am

Hi everyone,

I thought it might be good to post the latest albums you've bought and we can discuss them, and maybe find people who like more of the same bands as you.

My latest albums are:

Björk "Medúlla"
Joni Mitchell "Beginning of Survival"
The Streets "A Grand Don't Come for Free"
Darren Hayes "The Tension and the Spark"

Björk's "Medúlla" is an album that'll have to grow on me, I like some of the songs on there at the moment, but nothing has yet grabbed me like most of her "Vespertine" album did three years ago. Currently only "Where Is The Line", "Pleasure Is All Mine", "Oceania" and "Mouth's Cradle" stick in my head. I'm usually such a fan of her music, but this album I'm not yet keen on.

"The Beginning of Survival", a compilation of her "most socially charged anthems" from the last two decades from her "Dog Eat Dog" album to "Taming the Tiger". Some excellent and moving songs here, some suffer slightly from 1980's production, but most are all the better for it, the 1990's songs sounds as great as ever.

"A Grand Don't Come for Free". I used to find The Streets annoying, but ever song from this album I'd heard either on the radio or in the record shops I'd liked. So I took a gamble and bought it, and what a great record! Themed around the loss of £1,000 and what happens to Mike after he loses that 'grand', lots of strong language, but such a great album. I'm really glad I took that chance.

"The Tension and the Spark". I've loved Darren Hayes' voice since his days in Savage Garden, but I was annoyed with myself that I never bought any of their albums until they'd split up (thanks to noodle for making sure I was converted as much as possible). This album I've played a few times since I bought it yesterday, some gorgeous songs, great production, great voice, some great pop songs - and great artwork (like a 1950's catalogue), my only reservation is it contains that awful plague Copy Control *spits*, dirty, dirty Copy Control. :x

What albums have you bought recently?

Barry.
wonky_eggs

Postby Eternal_Silence » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:44 am

i only know Björk
And i don't like her :mrgreen:

My last bought cd's are...
2 from Era i think :roll:
The mass and another one I liked the mass more than the other one(i can't remember the name :P)

Marlies
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby Nigel » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:03 pm

The latest albums i have brought are:

Prodigy - Always outnumbered never outgunned.

The Corrs - Borrowed Heaven

Enigma - Voyaguer

Enigma - The screen behind the mirror

Enigma - Love, Sensuality, devotion.

Sarah brightman - harem

The Corrs - Unplugged (Taiwanese limited edition with rainy day single)

Moya Brennan - Two horizons (3cd promotional set)

Prodigy - Its has been about ten years since their last album release "The fat of the land". So i brought the new album and i really like it. ( I don't think a lot of people here will though :D )

Enigma - I have been a fan of Micheal Cretu's music for a long time. And i thought i would build up the collection a bit more :mrgreen: . His latest album "Voyaguer" is very different from his debut album "MCMXD a.d". But still has that distinctive and unique sound. If you are haven't heard of Enigma but like Moya and Enya. Have a listen to MCMXD a.d, you might like it.

The Corrs - I am a massive fan of the Corrs. And have been for years now, and even before i found out about Enya :shock: . Main reasons why i can't get enough of the Corrs are.

1) They are a family band. (Quite unique, three sisters & a brother)
2) Their music is amazing. (And has been since day one)
3) They are irish, and i love irish people. (U2 and Enya, Moya are all irish)
4) The three sisters in the band are gorgeous (A added bonus :mrgreen: )
5) Each band member can play various instruments. (Talented)
6) They haven't done drugs or anything to get where they have got. (Correct me if i am wrong)

Sarah Brightman - Erm, I Erm. Don't really know. Erm :oops: I like the music.

Anyway thanks for reading all of this.
Nigel
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:22 pm

The two last albums I added to my collection must have been Máire Breatnach's Angels candles (I can recommend any of her albums) and Lillis Ó Laoire's Bláth Gach Geág dá dTig, as I am madly into Sean-nós singing at the moment. :D
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby the whistleplayer » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:42 pm

I like Savage Garden too, though I only have two of their albums.

My latest cd is from Maxim Vengerov, the famous violinist. I read an interview with him and he seemed an interesting person to me so I decided I wanted to hear him play as well. And he plays Bach on it, which I just started a few weeks ago on my violin. :mrgreen: So it's research as well... :D

Other recent cds include Máire Breatnach's Branohm- the voyage of Bran. She's one of my favourite fiddle players.
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer
Really Enthusiastic Member

My latest CD acquisitions...

Postby cantilena91 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:33 pm

1. Artist: Pamela Thorby
Album: Handel Recorder Sonatas
Comment: I have loved recorder music for some years now, and as a great admirer of Pamela's virtuosity, I just had to have this CD as well!

2. Artist: Palladian Ensemble
Album: Les Elemens (music by Rebel & Marais)
Comment: Pamela's quartet of chamber music also released a new album recently, a bit more dynamic music compared to Pamela's solo!

3. Artist: Eri Sugai
Album: Kaori
Comment: A gift from my Japanese friend, highly recommended for any fans of Enya-type music!!!!!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

My latest buys

Postby AndyPandy » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:02 pm

U2 - The joshua tree

Quite simply the best album they have ever done, ever!

Jakatta - Visions

Very nice downtempo beats, and even one featuring Seal! My fave album of the moment

The Commitments soundtrack

I picked this up second hand after I saw the film, very good covers of 60's soul music by an Irish band.
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby noodle » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:44 pm

Hehe I tried my best Barry :wink:

You know what, I've hardly bought any CDs recently! I should really finish off buying Joni's catalogue.

Saying that I bough 'Our Town' - Deacon Blue. I didn't realise I knew so many of their songs - and some great ones at that!
noodle :)
noodle
Enthusiastic Member

Postby AndyPandy » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:04 pm

noodle wrote:Hehe I tried my best Barry :wink:

Tried your best at what, eh? :wink: :lol:
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby noodle » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:45 pm

Steady Eddy! :wink:
noodle :)
noodle
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Lynette » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:44 am

last CD...Switchfoot's Beautiful Let Down..before that TH, before that Akus.
Lynette
Addicted to Moya

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:17 am

Here are a few of my recent favorites:

Los Straitjackets "Damas Y Caballeros" - Instrumental rock. If you like the Ventures or U2's instrumentation, you will like this one. Includes a ROCKIN' version of "My Heart Will Go On"! 8)

Mouth Music "The Order of Things" - Celtic rock with Asian and psychedelic influences. Think what Enigma would sound like if they borrowed members of the Afrocelts and Jefferson Airplane.

Steeleye Span "Ten Man Mop or Mr. Reservoir Butler Rides Again" - If you like the first 3 or 4 Clannad albums, this one is definitely for you.

Aoife Ni Fhearraigh "Aoife" - All of the songs on this album are in Gaelic, and her voice is midway between Moya Brennan's and Jacqui McShee's, with all the sweetness of both. 'Nuff said? :D

Orla "The Blue Note" - If you are an Enya fan, GET THIS ONE! :D :D
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby wonky_eggs » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:46 pm

I've only listened to The Corr's "Borrowed Heaven" twice since I bought it, only a few songs have really grabbed me so far, I'll have to play it more I think.

But Enigma are amazing, Voyageur is brill (the new single "Boum-Boum" was FINALLY released in the UK this week - yay!). The Screen Behind the Mirror is a good album, as is LSD, but my long time Enigma fave has to be Le Roi Est Mort, VIVE Le Roi! such a wonderful album that is. I really enjoy a lot of Michael Cretu's other work, Andru Donalds and Sandra's more recent stuff being examples.

I don't like Sarah Brightman though, she just gets on my wick for some reason.

Jakatta's Visions is a fab album, I adore it "It Will Be", "My Vision" and "American Dream" are brill!

Barry.
wonky_eggs

Postby skippy » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:42 pm

Jim - good to see the album 'Aoife' get a mention again - I can't stop listening to it.

My most recent purchases since 2 horizons are:

Aoife Ni Fhearraigh - Aoife
Aoife Ni Fhearraigh - The turning of the tide
Altan - Blackwater
Sinead Lohan - No mermaid
Sinead Lohan - Who do you think I am
Mary Black - live
Maighread and Triona Ni Dhomhnaill - Idir an Da Sholas
Maighread Ni Dhomhnaill - No dowry
Cara Dillon - Cara Dillon
Loreena McKennitt - To chase the cold winter away
Eva Cassidy - American tune
Iarla O'Lionaird - I could read the sky
Iarla O'Lionaird - Seven steps to mercy
Afro Celt Sound System - Volume 1 - sound magic

:mrgreen:
skippy
Enthusiastic Member

Postby wonky_eggs » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:02 pm

I do have the Aoife album, but it's been a long time since I last heard it, I do like her voice, very much like the sound of the Brennan sisters to my ears.
wonky_eggs

Next

Return to Fan space