links everywhere

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

links everywhere

Postby Methica » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:17 pm

I have a quistion... I see links everywhere on the forum, just in the words, for example, I say the word law in someones signature here... it´s was lightergreen and it had a line under it, when I go to it with my mouse, it says sponsered link, is it just this forum or is it my PC??
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:47 pm

and now I see thjat online, from online users is linkied too... and Law from my previous post too..
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi Methica,

Are you talking about this forum, or other forums?

Some forums have sponsored links, and certain words are automatically converted to links to a sponsor site when used in a posting. For example, there's one computer forum that I sometimes visit that turns the word "computer" into a link to the Dell website, because Dell sponsors that site.

But this shouldn't happen here. If it ia, it's almost certainly the work of a spammer. Can you post a link to such a post if it's here?

If the word "law" in your posting on this site (in this thread) is being converted to a link (even in my post, where I can guarantee I have not linked it to anything), then you've got some malicious code on your PC.

Let me know .... I've got some procedures I can talk you through to get your clear if so.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Methica » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:53 pm

The word "computer", let me go to this link.. hxxp://directory.453searches.com/?kwd=% ... 5%74%65%72
DON´T CLICK IT ..I went to a page of spyware doctor or something... And it´s on more things on the net, as far as I just saw...

Edit by Angoid: Crippled the link as it goes to a bad site
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:54 pm

"law" "online" "school" "spyware" the words I see the most now,,
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Turlough » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:17 pm

Just now when I opened your "computer" link, it went through a couple redirections and ended up on a page where I could choose a laptop computer. I'd say that somewhere a filter got installed on your system that converts certain words into links.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:30 pm

What kind of filter would it be?? And then I guess it´s just some words that are "worth" giving links to or something..:s
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby noodle » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:08 pm

I had a problem similar to this. Check 'View' and 'Toolbars' and see if a program (probably with the word 'Search') has put itself there. If so, untick it.

Have a trawl through 'Tools' and 'Options' too - sorry I can't be more specific.

I had this software that managed to install itself sneakily through some other innocent program. Maybe also check your program files and see if something sticks out. Maybe it's a program you can uninstall?
noodle :)
noodle
Enthusiastic Member

Postby ChrisRLG » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:19 pm

Methica

You have some malware on your machine - that 453searches is a known bad site.

Follow this link - and its instructions to post to that forum - and one of the student or experts will assist you in getting rid of the bad stuff.

http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?p=39
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Angoid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:21 pm

Do not click on that link in Methica's post!!!!!!
When I've finished posting this, I'm going to edit your post Methica to cripple it - I won't change anything else. This is for the safety and protection of all users of this site.

Methica, it sounds like you have a serious infection on your PC. Can you go over to Malware Removal, register, and in the Malware forum follow the instructions on posting a HijackThis log along with a description of your problem (you can include a link back to here if you wish to illustrate).

One of the helpers there will be along yo help you and get you clear of this.

Edit: Chris, it looks as though we posted this at the same time!
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Angoid » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:50 am

Turlough, I'd recommend also that you go to Malware Removal for a computer check-up if you've been to that bad site.

Without knowing exactly what you did ater clicking it, it's not possible to ascertain whether you have picked anything up as a result.

Indicators would be: Words beoming links, a toolbar in IE you don't remember installing, system running slower than before or freezing up, something just not seeimg right, and so on.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Methica » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:27 am

Okay, I´ll let my dad take a look at the computer, it´s the familycomputer.. Maybe he can do all of that..

Thanks foir the help!!
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:37 am

In the mean time - DO NOT USE THIS COMPUTER WITH ANY CREDITCARD OR ONLINE BANKING.

Sorry for the 'shouting' - BUT - it is important.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Methica » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:44 am

ChrisRLG wrote:In the mean time - DO NOT USE THIS COMPUTER WITH ANY CREDITCARD OR ONLINE BANKING.

Sorry for the 'shouting' - BUT - it is important.
I won´t..:)
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:28 pm

To all: Please remember that spyware cannot be kept away with "just" an antivirus program, in addition you need a proper firewall plus at least two different malware/spyware removal softwares installed and your computer should be scanned through with those software at least every week! Also, do not rely on every kind of "malware removal tools" that can be found free from internet (or just any free games you may find), they can be malware too!!! I had also some nasty things in my computer in the past, but thanks to proper software and its regular scans, I have been lucky to stay away from them!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Administrator