30%
no
52%
don't know - i haven't haerd of him
19%

Total votes : 27

Brian Kenedy

Postby nessieq » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:06 pm

so i hear from admin that there's going to be a new moya/brian kenedy song, released for st paddy's day. sounds kool, and thought i ususally enjoy st pad's a load, i'll look forward to it even more this year! eevn better, it means moya's in belfast again! maybe i'll see her out in town when i go to orchestra tomorrow ( i WISH).
so who likes brian kenedy? i saw him at the beautiful night concert, and i've kind of half ways followed his career, and sang with him on the steps of stormont at the opening of the disabled olympics, held in ireland last year. i even managed to meet him afterwards - he said he thinks Vanessa's a nice name, lol :D .
anyway.
i look forward to hearing what you have to say about this.
nq.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Phantas » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:24 pm

Well, simply - Am I a fan of Brian: No.

Do I love some of his songs -Yes.

He is a great singer - but he has to promise he will never sing "In A Lifetime" with Moya again as it doesn't sound like anything! (if you've never seen it, I recommend the Gaelforce tape/DVD. It has loads of Irish artists on it, including Clannad with two songs(old).

But as for the rest of it, I'm not very familiar with his works. As I'm not much of a fan you see :mrgreen:

Anyway, I do hope you see him again Nessieq!

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby skippy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:37 pm

I'm not a fan, but I like his voice. I have the Gael Force DVD and I thought he did a fine job singing "in a lifetime" with Moya and Clannad.

:mrgreen:
skippy
Enthusiastic Member

Postby gregoing » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:09 pm

Well, I voted no because I've never really heard any of his music (although, of course, I've heard of him). If I like his part of the upcoming him/Moya collaboration, I'll probably look more into his other works.

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Lynette » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:10 pm

:oops: sorry...i'm ignorant...never heard of the guy. but if moya's doing a duet with him he must be worth finding a bit more information on....sooo....would someone enlighten me?
Lynette
Addicted to Moya

I like Brian's voice!

Postby cantilena91 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:47 am

Having heard the ORIGINAL version of "You Raise Me Up" by Secret Garden (many think that the original is by Josh Groban but it isn't!), I like Brian's voice, as he is the male soloist on the song! So, I voted yes...

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:38 am

Lynette wrote::oops: sorry...i'm ignorant...never heard of the guy. but if moya's doing a duet with him he must be worth finding a bit more information on....sooo....would someone enlighten me?

I also never ever heard of him :oops:
So the same here: 'would someone enlighten me' :mrgreen:

Marlies
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby noodle » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:50 am

I wouldn't say a fan, more of an admirer.

I first loved his verion of 'As I Roved Out' on the Common Ground CD, and heard a few more of his songs since then that I liked. But the ultimate came when he sang at the Kirsty MacColl Tribute concert in London and sang one of my favourite songs of all time - somehow I know he has exactly the same music taste as me - he's always being mentioned here and there whenever I read news on an artist I like!
noodle :)
noodle
Enthusiastic Member

Postby wonky_eggs » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:24 am

I like his songs, but I'm not a fan as such. I do like his voice though.
wonky_eggs

Postby nessieq » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:47 pm

well, guys, i do happen to know a thing or two about him because he's from the same part of the world as me, but i'd do a bad job of exaplaining anything about him - all i can remember is that his most most famous works were that song which everyone seems to know and no one knows the names of *sings*
"put the message in the box
put the box into the car
drive the car around the woooooooorld
until i get to you"..
ahem.
also, he hadf ann album a while ago called "get one with your short life". i heard a few of the songs, they were quite good. brian was also at the beautiful night concert with moya a few months ago, and suvi, it was that very song that he performed on the steps of stormont ... i thihnk it was 2 years ago now.
anyway, i think his official site is..
www.briankennedy.co.uk
for those of you who are interested.
nessieq.
nessieq

Postby Lynette » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:44 pm

Thanks for the link nessieq, I'll check it out.
Lynette
Addicted to Moya

Postby Daragh » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:42 pm

Brian also toured with Riverdance and was one of the lead vocals on the tour. He has worked a lot with Van Morrisson over the years and if I'm not mistaken Van may have given him his first big break. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong. I vote dthat I am a fan as I like what he does with the songs. He has a powerful voice but sometimes it can get a little boring and predictable. That is one thing that I don't like in a professional singer and that is to be predictable. They have what some of us would love to have and that is a career making music. If that was me I would try new things all the time and surprise a few people. Moya has done that I think with her duets and projects. Maybe I'm being unkind to Brian but I think he should take a few more risks with his music and see what happens. I say again I am a fan and I plan to see him in Dublin in October. I will report back with my thoughts after the gig.

Daragh
Daragh

Postby nessieq » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:45 pm

thanks for that, daragh, i never knew he went on tour with riverdance, then again, i never saw it live. :oops: :cry:
let us know what the concert in october's like.
nessieq.
nessieq

Postby Bal Winton » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:47 pm

I've been past his house on a Bus Tour.

My mother once told me that if you have nothing nice to say, you shouldn't say anything. Hence the reason for no further development of this post. ^^
Bal Winton

Postby Daragh » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:52 pm

Hi Bal Winton

Would it be fair to say that you are not a fan? Sometimes a negative remark can be useful if it is given constructively. What do you think?

Daragh
Daragh

Next

Return to General