Got kicked out when I want to edit a post

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Got kicked out when I want to edit a post

Postby Macha » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to edit a post, what I've written yesterday. But everytime when I click the "Edit" button, it says: "Sorry, but you can only edit your own posts". So I have to log in and try again - with the same result. What's wrong there? Is there a "Time frame" which allows to edit own posts?
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:57 pm

Hi IrishGirlm,

I think this has something to do with the fact that the hosting company has restored the forum from a backup taken last Thursday.

They did this because there were some non-forum related areas of the database that got corrupted in a server-side upgrade they did.

I myself advised that only those affected areas needed restoring, but it would appear that the hosting company restored everything - specifically against what I'd recommended - and at that a day early thus not leaving us time to take the forum down and back it up so we could continue from where we left off.

So, I'm sorry to have to say that your post as of yesterday has gone. A full weeks' activity has been lost due to this.

I'm approaching admin to see if he can contact them and get them to restore the database as of last night. This means that today's activity will go, but at least we'll have the last week's and the nett loss will be much less.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Macha » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:08 pm

Thanks for the info, Angoid. But my post, which I wanted to edit (it was in the topic "Songs and poems") is still there - I just can't edit it.

But it's good to know that it's not my computer. :)
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Kosma [PL] » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:07 pm

By the way, Angoid - if I were you, I'd temporarily shut off the whole forum so that the things posted now are not lost.

Some people can't live without the forum, though... :wink: :mrgreen:
Kosma [PL]
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Angoid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:33 pm

I was very strongly tempted to do just that Kosma, but I know people would justifiably be very upset without the forum working.

Pity we can't shut it down with a message box telling people why it's been shut down and assuring that service would be resumed once the problem had been rectified.

Like you, I don't like it one bit.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Kosma [PL] » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:15 pm

I think you can, with something like this in .htaccess:
Code: Select all
RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule .* /message.html [L]

However, this assumes that you have access to mod_rewrite on the server.

Also, I remember an option in the phpBB control panel to shut it down, such as that only users with admin rights can log in. It's under General Admin -> Configuration:
Disable board
This will make the board unavailable to users. Do not logout when you disable the board, you will not be able to log back in!

It doesn't allow putting a message explaining why the forum is down, though.
Kosma [PL]
Enthusiastic Member

Postby ChrisRLG » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:50 pm

Kosma [PL]

Unfortunately although I do on my own servers - we do not have that control here.

I think it is a shared server under the hosting co control.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby nessieq » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:10 pm

Thanks for explaining that angus, I thought I was going mad(er) when my posts started dissapearing... :shock: Hope you can get it sorted out soon! Keep us posted, although you always do :wink: :!:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Angoid » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:27 pm

Hmmmmmm ..... hate to say it folks, but I haven't heard anything new on this one yet.

The problem we'll have now is that if I can restore the data from the backup before the "rollback", we'll lose the "new direction" the forum has taken subsequently.

It's really going to be swings and roundabouts, I think :cry:

Much as I hate to say it (and I'll see what ChrisRLG and admin have got to say) we may do better now to just cut our losses and continue as we are.

I'll need to see whether it's possible to "merge" the lost activity with the new activity, but it may well be that in a number of cases the result will not make sense.

Even worse is the fact that I'm sure we've lost a new member or two that registered in the last week.

Restoring them may not be that tricky a task though.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby nessieq » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:53 pm

Well- regardless of the old stuff, is the problem resolved now?? I mean- if we post things now, will they just vanish again? Or do you know anything about that yet??
Sorry- sounds like I'm pestering you- not at all, I'm greatful for all you've done, just wanna get it straight what's goin on! :lol: :oops:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Angoid » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:20 pm

No, they won't vanish. What happens is that everything we post here, including private messages, changes to who is moderator, etc. get stored into an area called a "database".

A database consists of many smaller subsections, called "tables".

Different types of the same information go into these tables: for example, there is one for the users details, one for the postings text, one for private messages, and so on.

In Moya's database there are some 39 tables. All but about 10 of these pertain to the forum - the other 10 pertain to the main site itself.

Those 10 contain information about live events, album releases, etc.

The software that drives the database is called "MySQL" - it's just a name. Just like a lot of other software, it comes in versions. Later versions replace earlier versions as new features are added and bugs (errors in the program) are corrected.

Part of the upgrade carried out by the hosting company consisted up upgrading MySQL from an old version to a newer version. This is because as older versions become older, they are no longer supported by their makers.

Now each table is stored in an internally-recognisable format. In the older version of the database, this was either ISAM or MyISAM. Don't worry about them - they're just names. MyISAM is newer than ISAM.

8 of the non-forum related tables were held as ISAM whereas all the others were in the newer MyISAM format.

When they hosting company upgraded the database, the old ISAM tables became unusable because it was no longer supported. Therefore, those tables were perceived to be corrupt.

I advised admin that only those 8 tables were affected. This is why the main site didn't work - because it was trying to access corrupted database tables which crashed, the site failed silently, and returned no information. People were seeing nothing at all there because of it.

Now each night, the hosting company takes a backup of everything. They would have backed everything up before they carried out the upgrade.

Unfortunately, all backups since the upgrade would also have backed up the corruptions.

So I advised admin (after having investigated the problem) that only those 8 tables needed to be restored from the backup taken before the upgrade work. Everything else was OK. I asked him to emphasise this to the hosting company.

Unfortunately - probably because it's easier - the hosting company restored the entire database - forum an' all - to how it was immediately before the upgrade.

This rolled the forum back to the state it was then. All activity since that date/time has been lost ... completely lost.

So, can this happen again? Yes. But it's extremely unlikely.

We've grown wiser now as a team. Next time they want to do some upgrade work, I'll take a full forum backup each night until I can be sure there won't be problems, so if we do need to restore we won't lose as much activity.

Hope that helps!
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby ChrisRLG » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:23 pm

Hi Angoid.

My take.

IF - you have a copy of the DB before they restored - yes it is possible to add in the posts - BUT - it would be hard.

The post numbers will match some that have been made since - so they would REPLACE those currently that have been added since.

Same with new members - the newer members will reuse the membership numbers of those that have disappeared.

The only time I have merged topics/posts back into a DB - I did because a whole topic was deleted in error - and not noticed for a time.

It had a few problems.

I found the posts easy, although the DB was megabytes long - and because it was deleted they did not clash with newer posts etc. when I merged. BUT the way the DB is structured ment that they disappeared from the search system. So all the posts had to be edited to make them appear in the search - IE to rebuild the data.

So finding ALL the records from all the tables - editing the post numbers so they do not clash with newer existing posts is going to be a HARD manual task which would take hours if not days to do.

I would then not guarantee that it would be done right.

I am sorry to say you would only have the two choices - go back and lose all new posts/members - or stay with this one.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Angoid » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:29 pm

Thanks Chris ..... my take would be that we should go with how it is now. I simply don't have the time to do this and I'm away in a few days' time :D

And as you say, because of the nature of it, it would not be posible to ensure it is totally correct anyway.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Kosma [PL] » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:13 am

I would *really* go back. We have two days of posting vs. one week, and many posts from that week were valuable - including mise's Rotterdam instructions, for example, or kackie's return.
Kosma [PL]
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Beth » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:27 am

Acutally, I'm the other way around, Kosma. I would leave the forum as is. After all, if the hosting company does put things back as it was, do we want a gazillion duplicate threads for the Mods to go and lock/remove?

As for Kackie's return and Mise's instructions, I'd more than gladly love for them to post it again! No harm in that :wink:
Beth
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Administrator