Today's Date

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Today's Date

Postby Turlough » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:39 pm

Today's Date is the 31st of August. This Forum is posting it as the 24th, one week ago. Maybe the hosting service should be told?

After saving this message for the first time, I noticed it is date- stamped correctly.

Yet another look around shows that a week of posts are lost.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ardens » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:21 pm

I've checked some of the threads and it seems as if you're right - some of the posts seem to have disappeared indeed. :shock:
And then there are these posts being shown "new", although the date says 24th...it's very confusing.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Kosma [PL] » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:40 pm

Yes, looks like the clock on the servers went mad. As usual, I clicked on "see posts since last visit"... and was a bit surprised to see the ones I've already read.

But wait... the posts disappeared? :shock: I guess the hosting company tried to convert the databases and they messed up something...
Kosma [PL]
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Angoid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:59 pm

Oh no!!!!!!!!!

I hate to say it folks, but I think the hosting company has restored the entire database to a week ago, despite my having emphasised that only 8 tables, none of them forum-related, needed rolling back!

I explicitly stated that the forum did NOT need restoring as it was perfectly OK.

I've been in PM contact with admin over this, and those PMs have completely gone now from my PM system.

This really annoys me. They have done explicitly what I asked them NOT to do :( :shock: :(

In addition, they said they would not do this until 1st September. Had I known the time, we could have taken a backup and then re-instated from the backup afterwards. It might have meant the forum being down for a few hours, but I'd rather that than to have what's happened - i.e. a weeks' worth of posts lost.

I'll PM a link to this thread to admin and ask him to see whether the hosting company can restore the forum from last night's backups. We'll lose today's postings, but that's better than an entire week!
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Turlough » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:54 am

Angus, if a backup exists for all but today, I think today's posts would be worth sacrificing to recover the wealth of after-concert posts from G and the ones of Nessie's trip and all those others over the last week.

Not to mention where Balor explains more than I ever knew about the Ogre of the Poison Glen, wherefore I handed over the screen name.

Yeah, go for it, that's a week worth having on file. :)

BTW, does the software offer a way for members to download posts and PM's, other than the obvious method of using the browser itself to save page by page?
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Beth » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:06 am

Angoid wrote:Had I known the time, we could have taken a backup and then re-instated from the backup afterwards. It might have meant the forum being down for a few hours, but I'd rather that than to have what's happened - i.e. a weeks' worth of posts lost.

Turlough, I think Angus is saying that if we had been given warning, a back-up could be made. :wink:
Beth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:27 pm

Beth wrote:
Angoid wrote:Had I known the time, we could have taken a backup and then re-instated from the backup afterwards. It might have meant the forum being down for a few hours, but I'd rather that than to have what's happened - i.e. a weeks' worth of posts lost.

Turlough, I think Angus is saying that if we had been given warning, a back-up could be made. :wink:

There are three topics now about the same problem..
Time to merge those three won´t you think??
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:36 pm

You're quite right Methica.

We do have three threads going on this now, so I'll close this one so the discussion can be continued here.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Return to Administrator