Saving Tara

Ancient meeting place of the High Kings

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, gregoing, Grania, All Moderators

Do you want a motorway built over Tara! - Ar mhaith leatsa Motárbhealach bheith tógtha ar Teamhair?

Yes!
1
2%
No!
60
98%
Not Sure??
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 61

Postby nessieq » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:41 pm

Can someone who knows the area a little better clarify my ignorance- is the work currently going on on the route to Dublin the road that we're discussing here, or has it been postponed.. finished.....? Anyone give us an 'update' on the tara situation?
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
User avatar
nessieq
Moderator
 
Posts: 10856
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:58 pm
Location: Cambridge/Belfast

The Hill of Tara

Postby kevinkells » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:44 am

Yes, I'm interested too. :x
User avatar
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Postby mise » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:19 am

http://www.protect-tara.org/update_en.html

This site sort of keeps us up to date with what is happening to Tara. I know it isn't much, but it seems like a case that will drag on for a long long time
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
User avatar
mise
Moderator
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:29 pm

Postby nessieq » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

thanks for posting that, mise, illl be sure to keep an eye
*adds it to favourites*
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
User avatar
nessieq
Moderator
 
Posts: 10856
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:58 pm
Location: Cambridge/Belfast

Postby kevinkells » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:24 am

Beli Mawr wrote:ofcourse we don't, that hill is way to inmportant for Ireland and its peace should not be disturbed by the noise of cars and it's air shopuld not be poluted by the exhaust of cars.
I'm with you completely Beli Mawr. Having been there, I wish they'd stay away from this historic place forever.
User avatar
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Postby Simi » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:29 pm

nessieq wrote:Can someone who knows the area a little better clarify my ignorance- is the work currently going on on the route to Dublin the road that we're discussing here, or has it been postponed.. finished.....? Anyone give us an 'update' on the tara situation?


We have visited the hills of Tara in last October. I am not sure whether the road construction was stopped or whether the plans were changed. But as far as I can remember the road isn't very close to Tara. Tara still is an magical and fascinating place. I add some pictures.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000276.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000277.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000285.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000282.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000275.jpg

greetings,
Simi
Of what benefit would it be to me if Christ had been born a thousand times, and it would daily be sung into my ears in a most lovely manner, if I were never to hear that he was born for me and was to be my very own? (Martin Luther)
User avatar
Simi
Enthusiastic Member
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:04 pm
Location: Germany

Postby nessieq » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:52 pm

Oh thanks so much for posting the pics!! Those are pretty! yeah- I assumed the road wouldn't be right through the middle or tara, it'd be kind of hard and I can't see the government doing that. Well, i guess it's an excuse to go see it for myself, eh? :lol:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
User avatar
nessieq
Moderator
 
Posts: 10856
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:58 pm
Location: Cambridge/Belfast

Postby kevinkells » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:41 am

Yes thanks for those pictures Simi, it's good to see those vandels are still out of site.
User avatar
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Postby Simi » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:06 pm

nessieq wrote:Oh thanks so much for posting the pics!! Those are pretty! yeah- I assumed the road wouldn't be right through the middle or tara, it'd be kind of hard and I can't see the government doing that. Well, i guess it's an excuse to go see it for myself, eh? :lol:

Absolutely a pretty good excuse, Nessie. :wink:
You really should try to make it real. Tara is just amazing - not only the hills itself but also the little chapel and the cemetery in the midst of huge, old trees. A really peaceful place.

P.S. If you wanna see more pics, just let me know. :lol:

greetings,
Simi
Last edited by Simi on Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of what benefit would it be to me if Christ had been born a thousand times, and it would daily be sung into my ears in a most lovely manner, if I were never to hear that he was born for me and was to be my very own? (Martin Luther)
User avatar
Simi
Enthusiastic Member
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:04 pm
Location: Germany

Postby nessieq » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:13 pm

Simi wrote:P.S. If you wanna see more pics, just let me know. :lol:


Yes please! I'd love to see any more you have!
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
User avatar
nessieq
Moderator
 
Posts: 10856
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:58 pm
Location: Cambridge/Belfast

Postby kevinkells » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:05 am

Same here, even though I'v been there. :wink:
User avatar
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Postby Simi » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:59 pm

Ness see PM.

Kevin you also have been in Tara?
Then you surely agree with me that it is really an enchanting and peaceful place. We had a perfect day in Tara, hopefully I see it again someday. I add some pics of Tara and the east coast of Ireland.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000118.jpg Glendalough
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000315.jpg Newgrange
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000319.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000207.jpg Clonmacnoise - aahhhh I love this place
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000267.jpg Tara
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000265.jpg Tara too
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000201.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000083.jpg Powerscourt Gardens
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000145.jpg and of course Rock of Cashel - a veeeery impressive building

Hope you like those.

greetings,
Simi :lol:
Of what benefit would it be to me if Christ had been born a thousand times, and it would daily be sung into my ears in a most lovely manner, if I were never to hear that he was born for me and was to be my very own? (Martin Luther)
User avatar
Simi
Enthusiastic Member
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:04 pm
Location: Germany

Postby nessieq » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:51 pm

Glad you finally decided to post these! Like I said in the PM- they are some beautiful pictures of some of the most beautiful places on earth (IMHO :mrgreen: )!!
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
User avatar
nessieq
Moderator
 
Posts: 10856
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:58 pm
Location: Cambridge/Belfast

Postby kevinkells » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:19 am

Simi wrote:Ness see PM.

Kevin you also have been in Tara?
Then you surely agree with me that it is really an enchanting and peaceful place. We had a perfect day in Tara, hopefully I see it again someday. I add some pics of Tara and the east coast of Ireland.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000118.jpg Glendalough
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000315.jpg Newgrange
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000319.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000207.jpg Clonmacnoise - aahhhh I love this place
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000267.jpg Tara
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000265.jpg Tara too
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000201.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000083.jpg Powerscourt Gardens
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000145.jpg and of course Rock of Cashel - a veeeery impressive building

Hope you like those.

greetings,
Simi :lol:
Simi, Thanks again for those pictures ( photos ). Glendalough was one of my favourite places too; I took heaps of photos there. On tour we could only stay there for a couple of hours, but I would have spent the whole day there if I could. And I agree with you about Tara also; It is a beautiful and enchanting place. Being there I felt part of it's history; sounds weird doesn't it ?
User avatar
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Postby Simi » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:04 pm

kevinkells wrote:Simi, Thanks again for those pictures ( photos ). Glendalough was one of my favourite places too; I took heaps of photos there. On tour we could only stay there for a couple of hours, but I would have spent the whole day there if I could. And I agree with you about Tara also; It is a beautiful and enchanting place. Being there I felt part of it's history; sounds weird doesn't it ?

Maybe it sounds a bit weird but I agree with you.
You can find a particular charm at these old places. This charm enfolds all Ireland. The beautiful landscape, the history, the kindness of the people.
And I feel a longing for this island I can not explain. Maybe my heart knows why - but my mind can not recognise. But it doesn't matter. All what I have to know, is that I feel indescribably good if I am in Ireland. It's a feeling as I would come home. Is this weird? Maybe! But I don't mind that.
Of what benefit would it be to me if Christ had been born a thousand times, and it would daily be sung into my ears in a most lovely manner, if I were never to hear that he was born for me and was to be my very own? (Martin Luther)
User avatar
Simi
Enthusiastic Member
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:04 pm
Location: Germany

PreviousNext

Return to The Hill of Tara

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests