Does Moya Share Too Much?

Yes
5%
No
95%

Total votes : 76

Does Moya Share Too Much?

Postby Richard Fethers » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:46 am

OK let me start the discussion about Moya's book on her life so far.

I had the pleasure of getting a copy in Grafton Street, Dublin, about 2 years ago when we visited Ireland from the US. I began reading the book as my wife drove us (with our 15 year old daughter) up to Donegal to find Leo's. We not only found Leo's but also Baba. At that stage I had only read the early parts of Moya's life - not the "drugs, sex and rock & roll" which I got to as we ventured further down the west coast of Ireland. As I reached this section of the book I began to understand Baba's look when I raised the topic of the book and I was a complete stranger who dropped the subject very quickly and hopefully diplomatically.

It made me think about the book and its impact on various audiences including her family and the Irish catholics who I've read a lot about as a part of my family comes from Limerick.

Having grown up at the same time as Moya I know of the "wild" life that was available. In fact much of what Moya went through I also experienced but not the "drugs". Although as a chemist they were available to me at Uni where we produced LSD for reseach. I guess my drug was beer and wine - I'm Australian so its only natural!

But to put it all down on paper I think is very admirable and must have taken a lot of soul searching. I think it is important that this book is available for others to read and to get an insight into what it was like growing up as an Irish catholic girl with the freedom's of the 60's and 70's. Emerging as a wife and mother in the 80's and beyond.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Richard.
Richard Fethers

Postby Ageless Messanger » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:17 am

I have Moya's book and have read it and think that she is very brave for writing it and getting it out there. It has also inspired me to try finishing my own biography that I had started like a while back, but never got up enough courage to finish it before.

A.M.
Believe me
I'm not afraid
Teach me
To learn Your ways
Carry me
Under Your wings
In Your perfect time-Maire Brennan
Ageless Messanger
Enthusiastic Member

Location: Feeling 22, Acting 17, This is the craziest I have ever been

Postby Dennisa » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:01 pm

Hey Richard!

I also red the book and i can omagine that it could be shocking for moya's family, but the truth is usually shocking, isn't it?
I think Moya is very brave to reveal her story, it made me have respect for her as a woman.

Cheers, Dennis
You calmed the waters, called on the storms to die with faith, how we look to the sky. Our nations build from the same rock, not the sand, Oh Lord You can heal this land.
Dennisa

Postby lizzy1e » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:47 pm

Well, I haven't been able to read the book yet. I sometimes wonder if I should... I'm sure it's wonderful, but it seems so personal. I do admire Maire for having the courage to write it though, I don't think I could ever do that! Maybe her story will help others who've had similar experiences. :o
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

I want the book!

Postby gregoing » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:28 pm

Hi, all. I haven't read the book, either, but I do want to get it either for my birthday or for myself when I get enough money to import it to the U.S. I don't think I'll read too much of Moya's personal life. I see it this way... (story time, everyone! All gather round!)

I recently tested for my black belt. It was, physically, the hardest thing I've ever done. Doing many katas, doing over ten rounds of sparring with 25 pushups and 25 situps in-between each, sprinting up and down a mammoth hill three three times and many other exercises that we had to go up and down the hill to complete, jogging 3.4 miles, and doing many, many other things in addition to the few I just mentioned. And that was just a month ago. But I can honestly say that it was worth it. Yes, it was tough going through all these things, but I look back now and instead of seeing all those things, I see my black belt. And I smile every time I put it on.

Now whenever anyone tells me they want to join karate, I let them know what I had to go through - to sort-of prepare them for what they could be getting themselves into. In the same way, Moya did a lot of things in her past that were wrong. But in her autobiography, she reveals these things so that others wouldn't make the same mistakes. I admire her for doing so. And now she has a husband and two kids who she loves, and they love her. She's living a very good life and many people admire and respect her. Not to mention her Christianity, which is the best of them all.

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Honesty is the best policy

Postby Richard Fethers » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:37 pm

Dennis, AM & Lizzy,
The more I think about the honesty of Moya's book the more I'm supportive. Over the past 14 years living here in the US I've found that people are less than honest or truthful - we Australians I guess because of our Irish/ English background are at times bluntly honest - not trying to hurt anyone, just laying it out as we see it. I'm sure if Moya had it all to do again she would have changed a few things and in a way going through the things she did she is a better person for it.
I'm going to have my daughter (15 years of age) read the book when she is ready as I think there are things she can learn from it and hopefully avoid some of the pitfalls of life or make conscious decisions. Books like Moyas were not available when we were growing up. Nor was the openness to discuss these type of issues. My daughter is much more aware than I was at her age.
Cheers,
Richard
Richard Fethers

Re: Honesty is the best policy

Postby Briannah » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:07 pm

Richard Fethers wrote:Dennis, AM & Lizzy,
The more I think about the honesty of Moya's book the more I'm supportive. Over the past 14 years living here in the US I've found that people are less than honest or truthful - we Australians I guess because of our Irish/ English background are at times bluntly honest - not trying to hurt anyone, just laying it out as we see it. I'm sure if Moya had it all to do again she would have changed a few things and in a way going through the things she did she is a better person for it.
I'm going to have my daughter (15 years of age) read the book when she is ready as I think there are things she can learn from it and hopefully avoid some of the pitfalls of life or make conscious decisions. Books like Moyas were not available when we were growing up. Nor was the openness to discuss these type of issues. My daughter is much more aware than I was at her age.
Cheers,
Richard

Hello Richard,

I completely agree. Honesty truly is the very best policy. However, I really don't view us as being separated by countries, really we're all individuals, after all. And yes, the mass majority are avaricious and dishonest, but certainly not all. Rigid categories only promote disorder.

Back to the original subject, reading Moya's book did a lot of good for me, albeit I already have a real life example in my family . . . my elder sister. All I have to do is take one good, long look at the sort of person I don't want to become. It encourages me to keep on being the lady that my parents have raised me to be. I've suffered a lot emotionally, but I've never let it completely overtake me, just as Moya didn't let the storms overtake her and destory her life.

What her book told me was that I have to hold on to who I am and be true to myself, and never lose sight of what's important in life.
Briannah
in soft shades of pink

The mind is the greatest influencer of action and the counterfoil of instinct.--Dom of Manderley Dungeon ;)

Saoláitear na daoine uile saor agus comhionann ina ndínit agus ina gcearta.
Briannah
Enthusiastic Member

Location: somewhere between the end of the line and the middle of nowhere

Postby Homer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:53 am

I have read the book... and it was just after learning about Moya from my freinds at the Enya forum.

I knew nothing about her at the begining just who she was and that she sang and had a famous family.

When i read the book.... I will admit to being shocked but also sad as well at the dark times in her life, but it aslo happy at them bright moments and I'm glad she is where she is now, with a loving family and a wonderful life and making music.

I think it's very brave not just to write what she did, but to give what she went though to others to help them. I think everyone looks back on their lifes and wish they might have done this different or changed that.... but it's what happens to us that can make us who we are and can be better. I know many people have fallen into the trap of doing things they now wish they didn't. Moya is no different. That life style was there and many was part of it. the 'rock and roll' life as you say. sex drugs etc... but if we look at the lessons that she has told us about ... we can help ourselves

But i'm very happy she is able to come through that .... not only heathy but stronger and we can look at her now and take some of that stenth for ourselves and help us.

We all have problems in life... but I think we can help each other with them.

While reading her book I was thikning about parts of my life... where it was going and why. It made me think.... which I think is very goof.

I knwo ti must have been hard for Moya to write and to let it out so people close to her and also them that are not can read it. I think it's a good book that shows us more then maybe just someone's life... but also a way to look at our own.

So I thank you Moya :) It has helped many.... including me. thank you

Homer :)
have a laugh !
Homer

Postby Mike:-) » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:44 pm

The results say it all (Yes-0, No-10) The book showed that Maire is wise and courageous enough to face and understand all her life and to share her experience with others.
Mike:-)

Postby Lynette » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:09 pm

Ageless Messenger,
I noted that you said you have the book and that you are from the US. I am also in the US and I have not been able to get the book. Could you share with me how I might be able to get one. I have tried twice and both companies I tried to order from on the web wouldn't ship to the US.

Thanks for your help.

Lynette
Lynette
Addicted to Moya

Amazon.co.uk

Postby gregoing » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:21 pm

Hi, Lynette. You can order Moya's autobiography from Amazon.co.uk (or here's the direct link to the paperback edition of the book) and they will ship it to the United States. I'm going to wait until they get the hardcover edition back in stock and then I'll buy that one. But I believe the paperback edition has a foreword that the hardcover edition doesn't have... (I may be wrong - someone please correct me if I am.) Enjoy!

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Homer » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:13 pm

Actually Lynette ....

Ageless messenger got her book from me... we are good frineds and I live in England so.... she has good contacts LOL, but yes gregoing is right... check out that link and they should ship it to the US

and yes,,, the papaerback has a new forword in which is after it was first released.

have a laugh !
Homer

Postby Ageless Messanger » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:51 pm

Homer wrote:Actually Lynette ....

Ageless messenger got her book from me... we are good frineds and I live in England so.... she has good contacts LOL, but yes gregoing is right... check out that link and they should ship it to the US

and yes,,, the papaerback has a new forword in which is after it was first released.

Yep, Homer beat me to answering your question, but yes, I had gotten it from him because he is such a good friend that he let me have his copy.

A.M.
Believe me
I'm not afraid
Teach me
To learn Your ways
Carry me
Under Your wings
In Your perfect time-Maire Brennan
Ageless Messanger
Enthusiastic Member

Location: Feeling 22, Acting 17, This is the craziest I have ever been

Not at all...

Postby cantilena91 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:37 am

I have also bought Moya's book and although in the preface Moya admits that it was quite a job to decide how and what to tell about openly, it seems to be a good solution to which she has ended up. Better make things straight than hide them forever...

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Lynette » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:27 pm

Thanks to all who replied to me on where I may get the book! I can't wait to order it.

Blessings,
Lynette
Lynette
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to The Other Side of the Rainbow