Stopping Spam Registrations

Welcome to Moya Brennan's forum. This is the only room available to unregistered guests, and then only for replying to existing topics and not starting new ones.
This is so unregistered guests can report login and registration issues.

Moderator: All Moderators

Stopping Spam Registrations

Postby Angoid » Sun May 07, 2006 9:44 am

Many of you are painfully aware that we've been getting a lot of spammy registations on this board recently.

These are not regular members that come along to ask questions about Moya Brennan, her music, or anything vaguely on-topic. These are usually 'robots' - programs - that scour the Internet looking for forums where they can create fake registrations in order to drive their hitcounts up at the search engines. They will never post at the forums; as long as they have their website linked in the members' list they're happy.

I've just made modification to the board software that might help us get rid of them (i.e. stop their registrations from succeeding). Nothing I have done will affect the way the board functions; you should be able to use it normally.

They seem to come in spates, so we'll get some half a dozen or so sign up in quick succession then get a few days off. Therefore, it will be a couple of weeks (or more) to know whether this is working or not.

If you're a new member registering here and you get any one of the following error messages when you try to sign up:

Verification code wrong (NOT Confirmation code wrong)
Registration failed
Registration verification failed
COPPA agreement time was too short
COPPA agreement time was too long
Registration verification procedure failed
Registration time was too short
Registration time was too long

then please reply to this topic as a guest and I'll investigate it for you.

In particular, I need to know which browser you're using and exactly which error above you're getting.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Re: Stopping Spam Registrations

Postby Angoid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 pm

OBSOLETE - The advice given in this thread is no longer relevant.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Return to Welcome / Fáilte!