Would you want Moya to be more successful commercially?

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Would you want Moya to be more successful commercially?

Yes, I wish she'd be in the Top Ten on every release
7%
Yes, she deserves the same recognition Enya receives
30%
I'm not worried, she's done fine
56%
I'm not concerned with how much Moya sells
7%

Total votes : 86

Postby Niamh » Fri May 05, 2006 6:08 pm

Cherman wrote:Really? You're gonna love it! :lol: Oh, the joy she brings on stage when she performs "A Mhuirnin O" and the audience may sing along... So cool to see them all wrestle with their tongue when trying to sing Gaelic :D

I love love that song live! It's so cool to hear and see
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Cherman » Fri May 05, 2006 9:21 pm

Methica wrote: Whahahaha, though I don´t speak Gaelic, I can sing it(but I can´t song:P) If I listen to a sog I´m able to know the lyrics by heart by looking at the lyrics once, and then listen to the song, so maybe I could try to sing..±P

:lol: Better start practising, believe me, lol... If you can sing the whole song and I'm there to witness it, I'll buy you a cup of coffee afterwards! :D

And indeed, Niahm; that song is just amazing live! I also love that Gaelic song about the girl who has to marry, but doesn't want to (or something like that; it's been a while :oops: ). Anyone know the title of that one?
Cherman
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Kosma [PL] » Fri May 05, 2006 10:22 pm

Cherman wrote:
Methica wrote: Whahahaha, though I don´t speak Gaelic, I can sing it(but I can´t song:P) If I listen to a sog I´m able to know the lyrics by heart by looking at the lyrics once, and then listen to the song, so maybe I could try to sing..±P

:lol: Better start practising, believe me, lol... If you can sing the whole song and I'm there to witness it, I'll buy you a cup of coffee afterwards! :D

It is possible, I tell you, but it requires *great* self-confidence. :D
Kosma [PL]
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Methica » Sun May 07, 2006 9:54 am

Cherman wrote:

And indeed, Niahm; that song is just amazing live! I also love that Gaelic song about the girl who has to marry, but doesn't want to (or something like that; it's been a while :oops: ). Anyone know the title of that one?

Just go ahaed, but I don´t drink coffee...:P
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Wed May 10, 2006 11:03 pm

Athena wrote:Hi Cherman,

No, I have not had the privilege of seeing Moya live. I hope to make it to Europe one dayand would especially love to visit Ireland as I have always had an affinity towards the Celtic heritage. Perhaps from a past life :) I was even learning Irish several months ago but had to take a break because of health issues. I hope to start up again in a couple of weeks. (The only problem is picking a dialect and sticking with it. It seems at the center each teacher focuses on a different dialect and being so new to the language I tend to look like a deer caught in the headlights of a car. Then I would just smile and nod. :mrgreen:Well, of course the other problem was trying to learn the pronunciation!!! :cry: Such a beautiful language though. It will be worth the effort!!!!!)

I can only imagine what seeing her live would be like. To feel the energy emanating from her as she sings from the heart would be so awesome. No studio technology and digital bits. Just her voice live. Well, if it's meant to be it shall be.

Peace and blessings,
Athena

Keep a watch out this November/December. Moya is suppose to be coming to the USA for a Christmas tour to promot the USA release this Christmas!! I am hoping she comes near Sac or to Sac so I can see her. I sure hope that you can find a show near you!!
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby Athena » Thu May 11, 2006 5:58 am

Wow! Thank you Cherman. I shall keep a lookout for the concert!

It's ironic. I was getting ready for bed and decided to turn on my computer and see what was new on the forum. I was so touched by reading many of the postings in the personal secion and have not stopped thinking about what a wonderful group of people you all are and came across this great news.

I brought my "new" used guitar to work today and played a couple of songs for a vendor and she asked why I wasn't in a friend's "rock" group and I matter of factly told her I prefer songs of spirituality and God. She immediately knew what I meant and I mentioned Maire's name which she was not familiar with.

I was trying to find some of my favorite songs to share with this woman and put on Whisper to the Wild Water when I got home. Well, after listening to it twice I decided to buy her a copy and just did. :0) So much for a favorite song. The whole CD is my favorite song if you know what I mean and this woman will have to find her own favorite! lol

I so look forward to the concert. If it is meant to be I will most certainly be there! :D
' "The mind creates the abyss and the heart crosses it." Love is the bridge.' Stephen Levine
Athena

Postby Athena » Thu May 11, 2006 6:10 pm

Athena wrote:Wow! Thank you Cherman. I shall keep a lookout for the concert!

Hermeyjdi, please forgive me. Thank You for letting me know this info. I should know better than to get on the forum after midnight when I must be in at work at 5am! I saw the quote you used and well, :oops: I assumed it was from Cherman.

Peace and blessings,
Athena
' "The mind creates the abyss and the heart crosses it." Love is the bridge.' Stephen Levine
Athena

Postby Leo » Thu May 11, 2006 9:24 pm

About Moya and her music. I think she is doing well in the bussiness. Maybe she doesn't want to become a very commercial well-known artist. But I 'm surprised that local radiostations don't play her music . Her music is so refined and beautiful that I'm convinced that a lot more people would be able to enjoy her music.And how can they get in touch with her music? By playing her on the radio!! I feel myself priviliged to have discovered Moya's music in her solocarreer and as the leadsinger of Clannad. I am so happy that I can listen to her music and Clannad's almost every day and I think it's a shame that so many people are deprived of her music. She deserves to be played on radiostations and she also deserves to be as famous as Enya. I like her songs and her voice more .In Belgium they play Enya's music on all stations quite regularly, why not Moya's? Who has an answer? :mrgreen:
Leo

Postby Cherman » Fri May 12, 2006 12:04 am

I totally agree with you, Leo! :mrgreen: Nice to see yet another Belgian on the forum, by the way :D You know, I think it's a shame that they didn't include Moya's name when "Saltwater" was released by Chicane; that record was huge! That is actually how I got to know of Moya (by coincidence, when I heard a veejay say her name)... Perhaps if the record had showed "Chicane ft. Moya Brennan" (like it happened a couple of months later when Chicane collaborated with Bryan Adams), she would have gotten a little more recognition... Anyway, who knows what the future may bring? Que sera, sera eh :wink: And with Moya, you never know; she's always full of surprises, if you ask me...

@ Athena: don't worry about the mix-up; can happen to anyone :) It's cool to read that you can take your guitar to work, by the way! What do you do for a living, if I may ask?

Cheers!
Cherman
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Athena » Fri May 12, 2006 1:28 am

Thanks Cherman and welcome Leo! This is a great place. I feel so at home on this forum and thank everyone for all that they share. I have learned so much and see so much I need to change in myself, with love of course! I shall be responding in more detail in the more personal forum on that one and I'll PM you Cherman on the work.

I don't really listen to the radio for the simple reason they don't play the artists I love. I do wish Maire would get more airplay and I can hope for that. I remember when I first heard Saltwater. I immediately bought the CD and had to get more of "that fantastic lady singing that song!" Thus my introduction to Maire Brennan and learning about Clannad as well. I haven't listened to Saltwater in some time. I think I'll put it on after I'm done here.

I brought my copy of Whisper to the Wild Water with me to my acupuncture treatment last night and my acupuncturist was impressed with Maire's voice. I told my acupuncturist I was in a very vulnerable place and Maire's voice is so soothing when I get like that. Well, she needled me and left me and I cried the whole session letting out what needed to be released. It was so healing. Thank you Maire! :mrgreen:

Peace and blessings,
Athena
Athena

Postby irish at heart » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:51 am

I said that I'm not worried, she's doing just fine. I don't think you need to be commercial to have success. :)
Follow the word
Follow the hope
Follow the dream..
irish at heart
Addicted to Moya

Postby lilly » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:44 am

Personally, I'm not worried, because she is doing just fine. She seems happy, and that's what is important. :)
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
lilly
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ardens » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:20 pm

I hope that her albums are sold well, since it's good music that deserves some recognition. Some economical success is also important since it can give the artist a bit more freedom and independence. Success can also be a good motivation for the artist to keep on working and to enjoy the work.
But on the other hand, success can also have a negative influence on an artist. Some artists' personalities change to the bad side, they think they are gods and at the same time they can't endure all the pressure that is put on them. Too much money can also have the effect that some artists don't see the world around them, anymore. They can't understand ordinary people anymore, they can't understand people who are not well and they can't even understand their fans.

I must say that I like Moya the way she is. I enjoy going to her concerts because there is not a huge crowd and the atmosphere is so nice there. Moya stands on the ground and she also seems to understand those people who have problems and need our help. She is a special person, but she does not pretend to be a goddess. I'm really glad that she is not a diva driven crazy by her success.
But nevertheless, I wish her all the best and I hope that there will be even some more fans than now. I don't think that a bit more success will change her in a negative way. Moya seems to be a person who knows what she wants and even if she suddenly became much more famous than now, she would surely not become a different person.
So all in all, I'm not worried. Most important is that Moya is happy with her work and her situation and that they music stays as excellent as it is.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:17 pm

Jim wrote:I could not agree with you more, Noodle! (As if I EVER disagree with you.) :P

Perhaps I’m showing my age (I’m 43), but in my opinion, most of what you hear on commercial radio these days isn’t worth the CD plastic it’s burned onto. Yes, there are a few gems in the rock pile, but you must search long and hard to find them. I, for one, don’t want Moya to get lost in the rock pile!

I agree with you.

I guess that the most broadcasted artists are more copied and downloaded via P2P or any way of that kind.

Concerning Moya I think she has real fans that know the value of the music and the work she puts in it and don't hesitate to buy the albums instead of getting them via unauthorized ways...
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Jvan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:28 pm

I've chosen 'I'm not worried, she does fine'.

You know, today radio stations play only commercial music and quite stupid too. Nowadays most of the artists last one summer and then? nothing. Moya loves singing and she does it perfectly... her music is one of the most genuine I ever listened to! :wink:
Image Image Image
Jvan
Really Enthusiastic Member

PreviousNext

Return to General