Do you object.....

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Would you object to the Mods editing post that contains the Lord's name taken in vain?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:02 pm

Yes
25%
No
50%
Don't care either way
25%

Total votes : 32

Postby Angoid » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:47 pm

And I'm 100% in agreement with what Greg said there.

Don't you think that the fact that Beth started this poll indicates that she wanted a democratic decision to be taken? And not go down the same route as Unity?

In addition, last time I checked, Beth was not a moderator at Unity anyway. Just because some of us (who choose to post at that forum) are regulated by strict rules does not mean we want to export those rules to other forums.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Beth » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:34 am

Might I also add to Greg and Angus' statements and say that I did not suddenly decide 'Hmm, I think I'll start this poll and get people rialed up'. This poll was made after all of the moderators, myself included, had been bouncing the idea around for a bit and one moderator suggested that someone start the poll after the idea was brought up that maybe a poll might be the way to go to see what you all think. I happened to be online at the time and wrote and posted the poll.

Now that that is settled, might we get back to the topic of this thread?

As Greg stated, this poll wasn't started in order to see how many people we could hack off (thanks Angus for my new word :mrgreen: ). It was started in order to get an idea of what you all thought about this idea since as someone stated, different things offend different people. It's life. We are never going to 100% agree with everything that everyone does. It was just to see what you all thought about something that may or may not effect the forum, instead of just making the rule and saying 'tough, live with it.'
Beth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Garbo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:12 am

people take things too seriously on the internet.

i give thumbs up to whatever the moderators decide to do.
epic
Garbo
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby hermeyjdi » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:38 am

I just read all five pages of this thread. W :shock: :shock: W! There is a lot of views and points.
I am also one of the Christians who are a part of this forum. I also don't like it when people miss use the name of God or sware. I am not sure what I think about the moderators being able to edit peoples posts. I mean, we are all human and it can easily get out of hand. I think we all have to be careful. I respect all our moderator and fellow forumers and so this is nothing personal to anyone.
With that said, I am someone who has had their posts edited. I am not sure how many know but I posted a joke a couple of months back that was a little off color and it was removed. I was not offended. Some things that don't offend me can offend others and we all need to remember that and take that into consideration when we post something. It has made me really think before I just post something. It is all a matter of respecting our fellow forumers. Why would we post something if we KNOW it will offend others. That is not being respectful.
What about posting something in the rules saying that this forum will not tolorate foul lanugage of any kind. It might be there, I am not sure it has been so long since I signed up. That way when people do use bad langauge a moderator can remind them of the rule they agreed to when they joined.
With all that said I don't have any problems with the moderator editing any expression that I use that is offensive. You should not see anything in my posts anyway since I am not someone who has a potty mouth.
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:57 am

Garbo wrote:people take things too seriously on the internet.

i give thumbs up to whatever the moderators decide to do.

LOL- Garbo, well said!! :lol:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Phantas » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:52 pm

Just out of the blue (:D) When will you guys reach an agreement on this?
Perhaps it was mentioned in Beth's post, not sure as I haven't checked, but I was just wondering considering we already have five pages worth ;)

To link in on the many posts - I want to stress that I RESPECT our moderators here at all times, and that I'll abide to ANY rule they might come up with. All I have done in this thread was post my HONEST opinion on the matter and clarifying where needed. That is all and never EVER have I disrespected anyone on this forum, moderator or member or otherwise.

Just thought I'd clear that up before anyone starts taking my and other's post disagreeing with the statement as an attack on our moderators.

Our mods asked your opinion - so give it and shut the <beep> up for the rest ;) LOL

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:28 pm

Thanks Phantas, I needed to read that last line :lol:

I think Beth said that this poll will run for 10 days - so until the 28th. After that I expect mods will have to decide what is to be done - can I put to you that the topic is then locked so that we can do so? Just a thought :)

G - being a friendly mod :wink: along with all the others :D
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Turlough » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:45 pm

Well, I'm satisfied, now that the West Coast has weighed in, that it will all be reasonable.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:54 pm

ogre wrote:Well, I'm satisfied, now that the West Coast has weighed in, that it will all be reasonable.

:? Sry, I don't follow.. what do you mean, Ogre??
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Beth » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:10 pm

Yes, the poll will run for 10 days and good idea to locking it on the 28th.

Phantas, thank you so very much for your post. I, personally, have never taken any of your posts as being offensive :wink:
Beth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Turlough » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:58 pm

nessieq wrote:
ogre wrote:Well, I'm satisfied, now that the West Coast has weighed in, that it will all be reasonable.

:? Sry, I don't follow.. what do you mean, Ogre??

I awaited a post from a California Christian who acknowledges that American Christianity has gone to extremes. That post finally arrived, so I am satisified that the Topic has all the points of view that needed to be represented.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby jpanarese » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:55 pm

First, to answer the question about how I feel about "God" being used in posts, I am not one who is easily offended and usually ignore that kind of thing. Nevertheless, if it is used in an inappropriate manner, I would not be bothered by a mod editting the post. I am way to colorful in my language sometimes, and am always aware of this very nasty and disgusting habit I have been doing my best to shake over the years with some success. Thus, I do my best never to write as I do tend to occasionally speak.

I think I posted very early on in this topic after Beth, and I kind of expected the mixed responses and varied opinions. However, I do not believe, "discriminate", and, "political correctness" are terms that can even be used to describe the question at hand and the possible editting of posts. As a blind person, I Know what discrimination is, and having words removed from a post on a forum is not that. It troubles me that society gets these certain buzz words, and they become over used or inserted for the affect value. They are also too often used as a defense tactic that results in their real purpose being lost.

Also, it is ironic to me that as the mods have done their best to emphasize the importance of respecting the opinions of the members, and the Christian members have respectfully expressed their points of views, it seems that those against the question at hand are not necessarily showing equal respect. Before anyone flies off the handle, I simply mean that why is it that when religion comes into a matter, those not religious automatically start getting uncomfortable and talk about their views being disrespected. I have read posts that suggest that, somehow, this simple matter is going to turn the mod staff into a bunch of power happy folks, and, of course, "discrimination" and "political correctness" have been tossed into the mix to boot to strengthen their positions. I actually did find Ogre's references extremely amusing, but, at the same time, I don't believe that this issue is a reflection on the extreme, over sensitive reactions one does, unfortunately, see in America by a minority of "fanatical" Christians. .

Again, whatever is decided is fine with me. I agree that, in reality, this forum really does not seem to require any kind of hands on effort from the mods, as the folks here, in my opinion, are the friendliest bunch and are an impressively respectful group, as a whole. I will only, once more, suggest that since it is Moya's forum one should take a step back and consider what she might think on the subject at hand. You might not hold the same religious views as her and probably the majority of the members here, but it is the Moya Brennan forum after all.
So, to me, do what Moya would do...

John

That which we do in life echoes throughout eternity
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:20 pm

John, your post was clear, respectful, well thought through and a pleasure to read!
Thank you so much for saying that - you definitely understand what we are trying to do and I'm relieved that you do. Thank you so much :)

Grania
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Cherman » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:31 pm

My gosh! :wink: What a bunch of stuff to read in this post! I've spent 20 minutes reading those five pages, but nevertheless I enjoyed reading all of your opinions about this matter.

Firstly, I'd like to say a big thank-you to all moderators for being aware of the fact that expressions containing the Lord's name might offend some people (just re-read the messages in this post and you can see that it really is a matter that lives inside people's hearts). I think that having the guts to put this topic up shows great proof of the open-mindedness on this forum! One of the mods actually hàs edited one of my posts, and I'm glad I was made aware of my "foul language", because as a non-native speaker (Dutch being my mother tongue), I'm not always aware of what people may think is offensive or not. In the media and on television shows, you constantly hear things like "OMG" and after a while, you don't even realise anymore that this expression is really "taking the Lord's name in vain."

I truly think it all depends on the value you attach to those expressions, you know. One of my friends actually plays the organ in a (Christian) Church, and so sometimes I get to hang out with him and the local priest (I know, isn't it cool? :wink: ). One day, we were talking about "swearing" (which I can honestly say I never do), but the priest kind of shocked me by saying that even he sometimes uses the Lord's name in vain! His opinion was that swear words have lost their power and real meaning throughout history so much, that he sees no harm in using them, because they're only "terms of force" which are no longer linked to the greatness of God. Can you believe it? :D A priest saying it's right to swear from time to time? I actually had to disagree with him :shock: :lol:

Anyway, this being off the matter, I just wanted to say that I have no objection whatsoever to the mods editing our posts :D I have the deepest trust in them that they don't turn this board into another "Unity-forum" (that place is just no fun to hang around; it's a crying shame :? )

Cheers!
Cherman
Enthusiastic Member

Postby hermeyjdi » Tue May 02, 2006 3:22 am

Cherman wrote:
I truly think it all depends on the value you attach to those expressions, you know. One of my friends actually plays the organ in a (Christian) Church, and so sometimes I get to hang out with him and the local priest (I know, isn't it cool? ). One day, we were talking about "swearing" (which I can honestly say I never do), but the priest kind of shocked me by saying that even he sometimes uses the Lord's name in vain! His opinion was that swear words have lost their power and real meaning throughout history so much, that he sees no harm in using them, because they're only "terms of force" which are no longer linked to the greatness of God. Can you believe it? A priest saying it's right to swear from time to time? I actually had to disagree with him

I'm with you Cherman, I don't agree with the priest. That makes me sad. :cry:
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space