Do you object.....

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Would you object to the Mods editing post that contains the Lord's name taken in vain?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:02 pm

Yes
25%
No
50%
Don't care either way
25%

Total votes : 32

Postby Phantas » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:16 am

alright, now I feel we're blowing this thing a bit out of proportion here ;)

I have to agree with Andrea here, If anyone would be offended by someone posting an expression using the word god (in any form) he or she should pm that member, let them know what caused the offence and come to some sort of agreement. The person who used the expression might not have meant to offend, or wasn't aware of the fact that it offended that person. This can be negotiated! :)

As you all have been saying, we're perfectly respectful and honest ppl here, so I really don't see the need of preventive editing of religiously influenced expressions. Even whether or not a member would receive a PM about it.

Also, an certain degree of open-mindedness is a requisite I suppose on forums like these, where all kind of people meet. I'm certain that not a LOT of people feel truly heartfelt offended by someone using such an expression, and I'm sure those persons who are offended are pretty adult about it to at least discuss it, before resorting to such drastic measures. I feel the editing of someone's post (in this case) is something of a last resort, if both persons cannot come to a mutual agreement.

Let the voice of reason speak and the voice of emotion rest. I have been upset once in a while over much more innocent words here, but I've not let that stop me from visiting this place and meeting the wonderful people here. :) ((((everyone))))

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:08 pm

ogre wrote:It just occurred to me: suppose someone posted with,"Mon Dieu!"?

I read somewhere (so take it for what it's worth) that one of the French kings (I think Louis XVI) was so easily offended by such oaths that he threatened to have the tongue branded of any of his subjects who spoke in this manner.

Fearing such painful retribution, but unwilling to give up swearing completely, some of his subjects began taking oaths on the king's dog, Bleu. Hence the well-known French oath, Sacre Bleu!
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby AndyPandy » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:46 pm

Does anyone else find it ironic that the lords name has been taken in vain more times in this thread than anywhere else on the forum? :?

For the most part everyone respects everyone else on this board so really its never been a problem, I cannot remember the last time a moderator had to intervene on a thread here, such is the level of self-moderation.
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:56 pm

Thanks for making that point Andy :)

I find it disturbing that this seems to be coming back to moderators - we are not intending to suddenly go over board on editing and things, in fact that's the opposite thing really. I'd just like to make sure everyone realises nothing is really going to change at all :)
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Nigel » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:44 pm

I don't mind the moderators editing these posts that take the Lord's name in vain. No problems here.... :D
Nigel
Addicted to Moya

Postby Macha » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:47 pm

I can't see why it should be a problem, to use the Lord's name in posts. :?:
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Garbo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:05 pm

IrishGirlm wrote:I can't see why it should be a problem, to use the Lord's name in posts. :?:

i guess to use it in the context of swearing, "Oh my god or OMG" or whatever. Okay, I'll admit it, I have potty mouth, but I'm not going to use it on here. There are better choices for words and therefore we can all think of better ways to be eloquent.

I've already had a few of my posts edited for a few "minor" swearwords and I took no offence to it. It was my fault using those words.
epic
Garbo

Postby the whistleplayer » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:14 am

Grania wrote:Thanks for making that point Andy :)

I find it disturbing that this seems to be coming back to moderators - we are not intending to suddenly go over board on editing and things, in fact that's the opposite thing really. I'd just like to make sure everyone realises nothing is really going to change at all :)

Fair enough, but why then bring the subject up at all? To me it seems a first step to a more rigorous control of members' posts by the moderators (if you just edit people's posts without asking them first, it's like you don't take them seriously. If it'd happen to me, I'd feel like I'd been treated as a child, even though I'm older than at least some of the moderators)
Though I know of course that this is not the intention of most- if not all- of the moderators! :)

@ Phantas and Andy:
Couldn't agree with you more! :wink:
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer

Postby Turlough » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:40 pm

Grania wrote:Thanks for making that point Andy :)

I find it disturbing that this seems to be coming back to moderators - we are not intending to suddenly go overboard on editing and things, in fact that's the opposite thing really. I'd just like to make sure everyone realises nothing is really going to change at all :)

Merciful Heavens! We have a moderate moderator! (or two!) :D I see that although the first poster of this Topic refers to Moderators in the 1st-person plural, that doesn't mean that every Moderator here sees the need for this new practice. After all, this forum has survived a :shock:****-dancer, as well as a poster who defended the right to hate some of Moya's songs. What is this new crisis?

BTW, one Christian member, whose opinion I highly respect, has been silent through all this. I don't know for sure what that means.

Has Lunity not shown vividly how moderator power corrupts immoderately? We have no need of their influence here, thank you very much. It has been said that the downfall of a civilization can be predicted by the length of its list of laws.
Last edited by Turlough on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Niamh » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:36 pm

I think it isn't needfull.. But I would say.. give a person who uses the lords name on a worse way, I mean when it is a problem for other members, a warning. If that doens't work, think of something others
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:06 pm

Ohhhh please quiet down a bit people, nothing but an opinion has been asked from us. To be quite frank, I am glad that we are finally being asked about possible modifications to the forum, rather than them just being put to us as has been done before. Seems to me that everybody is really trying...

If I am reading through the posts correctly there are quite a few people who object to the principle of having moderators editing posts, either full stop or without giving the writer the choice to do so. Secondly there are those that do not object to having their posts edited if deemed nessicary, but they don't seem to be offended by what has been happening so far. Might be me, but isn't it clear that there isn't a real need for it at the moment?
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby nessieq » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:52 pm

Perhaps we should ask people if they do mind people using the G word on the forum rather than those who don't mind???
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Grania » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:59 pm

I think that makes a lot of sense nessie - it makes things a little clearer than all this :shock:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby nessieq » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:01 pm

Ok- so- if you have a problem with people using the G word on this forum and would like moderators to edit it out, please say so now or forever hold your peace!
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby gregoing » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:28 pm

ogre wrote:We have a moderate moderator!

Ogre, let me speak to you on behalf of all the moderators. We did not want to suddenly come up with a bunch of rules that no one had any idea about. That's why we started this poll - to see what others think of this idea, NOT to start a civil war! I'm asking everyone to please calm yourselves down; It's only a poll.
ogre wrote:You know, I just looked back to see who started this thread and it proved to be one of those Americans, :roll: who's also a member (still?) of that most stiffly regulated forum, Lunity. We have no need of their influence here, thank you very much, have they not shown vividly how moderator power corrupts immoderately?

I hate to think what you might be implying when you say "those Americans," especially with that emoticon after it. (Now that is a good example of an offensive statement!) If it's a bias you have against Americans in general, as I suspect, I am very unhappy, as I happen to be one. Even if I wasn't one, I still maintain that a bias against people of a certain nationality is just as bad as racial bias. Let's not even go there.
Now, as we all know, Moya and Enya are sisters. They are/were a part of Clannad. There's no denying that many people are fans of both Moya and Enya because of 1) their family connection and 2) the similarity between their music. I am a fan of both, and am very happy to be. Now, many people who are fans of both Moya and Enya are members of both their forums - this forum and Unity. So what? Does that make them bad people? Traitors, even? No, I don't think so. Does it make any difference that one person who is a member of both forums happens to be a moderator here? Certainly not! Beth is a wonderful girl and a heck of a great moderator, not a corrupt one. The fact that she's 1) American and 2) an active member of Unity makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Now, maybe things are Unity are not going as they should; I wouldn't know, since I'm not an active member there, although I do have an account. I can't say how their "moderator power corrupts." But I can say that Moya's forum is not Enya's. We are a totally different forum, with different people, different moderators, different interests, etc... Now, If Enya's forum is as corrupt as many believe it to be, we certainly do not want this forum to become like it. The moderators here are committed to keeping this forum a place of rest and comfort. Many people are bothered by offensive statements, such as taking the Lord's name in vain and other things (including anti-American comments). This is why we are asking what people think of our editing posts - not to regulate regulate regulate, or to prohibit one's use of free speech, but to keep the peace.

All the best,

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space