Would you want Moya to be more successful commercially?

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Would you want Moya to be more successful commercially?

Yes, I wish she'd be in the Top Ten on every release
7%
Yes, she deserves the same recognition Enya receives
30%
I'm not worried, she's done fine
56%
I'm not concerned with how much Moya sells
7%

Total votes : 86

Postby Embers » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:06 pm

I'm not worried, she's done fine.

I don't care how much any artist sells but of course I hope all the best for my favourites. For example Enya has been widely recognized but I'd love her music even if everyone else would say they hate it. Actually I did not even know how successful she has been when I found her music!

Moya does music that is easy to enjoy, it's a pity if all people don't find it.
I'm sure out there are a lot people who would love her music if they just would get a chance to hear it. Like me... I fell in love with Enya's music about a year ago and it really took me about this year to find out that her sister also has done something very very nice, too.
Image Embers ... Great minds think alike.
Embers

Postby nessieq » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:11 pm

it's all fine and well saying you'd like Moya/ enya to be more sucessful, but i urge you to think of what that may do to them. look at most of the bands in todays charts, they're nothing like this sort of music! i'd like it to stay that way. i think that if enya/ moya were to become even more in the public eye, their music may subconciously be changed and we'd loose the true, irish sound they have managed. i love it, and if their music is enjoyed by a few people or an entire world full of people, i don't care, so long as it sin't changed.
nessieq
nessieq

Postby Bridin » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:20 pm

My opinion - for what it's worth - is that success is relative. Take a look at this website and then tell me Maire hasn't done well. Judging by some of the discussions on the site she has a legion of fans who adore her and more importantly appreciate her work. I'm not an artist in the Maire sense of the word but I know that if I do anything or make anything for someone and they appreciate it then I know I've done what I set out to do. The reality is that this is Maires job and she deserves to be paid fairly for her talents. As long as that is happening I don't really think it matters whether her music played on commercial radio or not. Yeah it would be cool if everytime I turned on the radio I heard her voice but I have CDs and know how to use them.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth. Have a good day everyone :D
Bridin

Postby Daragh » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:49 pm

Moya is a success story. She has lived a full life in the music business and done things that some people have been scared to do. She has seen success with Clannad and with her solo career, something like 19 albums in her career, duets with many established artists, film scores, wrote a book, raising a family, built a recording studio in her home, performed and entertained audiences across the globe...I could go on...but I won't.

Is there room for more success :?: absolutely :!:

She has a healthy appetite for her work and as long as she is led in the right direction I believe her profile will grow and the message that her life and music brings will be used to glorify the giver of life.

Go on ya good thing Moya agus go neiri an bothair leat :mrgreen:

Daragh
Daragh

Postby richard » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:08 pm

I THINK IT IS A SHAME THE WAY ACTS LIKE MOYA/ KAREN MATHESON/ CAROLINE LAVELLE/ DOLORES KEANE/ LORENNA MC KENNITT/ MIRIAM STOCKLEY/ MIKE OLDFIELD & CAPERCAILLIE DON'T GET THERE MUSIC INTO THE CHARTS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO MAKE REAL MUSIC AND NOT BOW TO THE PRESSURE OF RECORD COMPANY BOSSES AND MAKE COMMERCIAL BULL SH*T. THE CHARTS ARE FULL OF SH*T AND I HATE IT. HAVE PEOPLE FORGOTTEN WHAT REAL MUSIC IS?????.
Richard.
richard
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:26 pm

I think we'd all enjoy seeing Moya successful in the charts (if only because her music might be easier to come by :) ) But I for one would not really like her to be too well known (maybe that's not the best way to put it :oops: )

These points may already have been raised - so I hope you don't mind me raising them again.

I will admit that I frequently have a hard time getting through to people when they ask me what music I like - usually "have you heard of Enya...Her sister" has some effect) but if I think about it, I really don't care. I don't like to follow the crowd :mrgreen: I concentrate, not like some teenagers on rebelling from their parents; but on being different to my peers. I honestly HATE the kind of music they play until they deafen themselves, and will sit there thinking 'for pitty's sake, these idiots have no taste whatsoever'.
Anyway, I suppose you could say this is one reason why I am happy that Moya is where she is, but my main reasons are as follows:

1. - Has anybody noticed that the artists who make it VERY BIG seem to be the ones who only last a couple of years, during which time they are the hight of fashion, and then afterwards people can be laughed at for liking them. Whereas Clannad, Moya, Enya, and many others enjoy 'moderate' success, and last for years (Long live the Brennan clan :!: :D )

2. - If Moya/Clannad were more 'in the spotlight', I think that media attention would be on them more, and none of us would wish that on them I'm sure. That kind of thing can really ruin lives - we all see it happen to celebrites every week. To me, it simply wouldn't be fair.

Anyway, I won't ramble on any longer. Just stop to say LONG LIVE MOYA, ENYA AND CLANNAD, and I'm sure you all agree with me :D

Slán - Grania (the fashion-hating teenager :mrgreen: )

P.S - Anyway; What does Moya want? :!:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby noodle » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:45 am

Wow forgot about this thread!

Looking back I think I started this thread with an ulterior question in mind. It's probably a little inappropriate and personal.

For those of you who, like myself, sometimes dream about being able to make and perform music, you may think about the fame behind it. I always dream about being on the same level as Moya, whereby I have almost total creative freedom, critical acclaim but not too much exposure to the press. The last question that always pops in my head is, "But how much would I earn?" and, "Could I live off this much?"

I wonder whether Moya is very comfortable financially (I'm guessing she is considering royalties from Clannad's music let alone her own), and logically how much of your material do you need to sell/have played to be able to break even and even earn a comfortable wage?
noodle :)
noodle
Enthusiastic Member

Postby nessieq » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:07 pm

that's funny, noodle, you've just read my mind, now get out, there's things in there you don't want to see.
well. much as moya would probably hate us disgussing her financial situation, i wreckon she's made herself a kwer bit, being in the music business for 30 years.
also, she did teach for a while at the start as well as clannad, until they really got on their feet, so i'd say there has to be a certain amount of sucess in order to live on a career in the music world.
nq.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby noodle » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:03 pm

Yes I must say there was a lot of interesting stuff in your mind :wink: Better not tell Garbo that Mel Gibson's in there :D

I remember another reason this question popped up. Reading TOSOTR, Moya mentions that although Clannad made lots of albums and gigs, they were never much better off financially, much to people's surprise! But the mention of finance tails off towards th albums of the 80's. And seeing as Pastpresent and Banba both made Top 5 in the UK, I'm guessing it picked up from there.
noodle :)
noodle
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Black_And_White » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:09 pm

Hei, I'm kinda new here but anyway :mrgreen: :

Seeing Moya being more commercial than now... I love her music, but the thing I love most about Moya, is that she isn't so commercial as her sibling. Altough I like Enya too! Being not too commercial like Moya is at the moment is quite flattering, I'm fine with how she is now... But that doesn't take away the fact that she deserves at least as much credit as Enya. But it would be somewhat afwul to see her every song in the top ten... Not because it's not good... She is good ! But most artist when they become commercial, stop careing about the music, and more about the money... So good the good music they used to make dies and turns zombie-like braindead music... I would never want to see that happen to Moya OR Enya, altough the last one is at the moment very popular...

Anyhow...

Greetings
B & W
The darkness around me,
Shores of a solar sea,
Oh how I wish to go down,
With the sun.
Sleeping,
Weeping,
With you... - Nightwish - Sleeping Sun
Black_And_White

Postby nessieq » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:36 pm

greetings, "B & w" is it?
i agree with you, i think that if an artist, no matter what their background or intesion, gets to be popular, and i mean like a fwe top ten hits, they tend to think more about the audience, not longer the music. i actually think that's beginning to happen to enya, although it saddens me to say that. i realy loved all her origianl stuff, but recently it's become mroe commercial i think,... maybe not, maybe it's just a new style developing, and please not e i'm NOT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE, but that's my opinion.
anywho, i think moya deserves the sucess, and if she doesn't get it it shows a lot about the modern music scene, doesn't it.

nessieq.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Grania » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:58 pm

In total agreement with you there :D Moya deserves the recognition - just not all the unpleansant stuff which is bound to come with it.
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Wil » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:25 pm

Moya has her own way and identity that I can hardly imagine how it will be if she become more commercial......
I like the way she is........
It makes her unique and it fit's the style of her music......So she don't need to change.
Music is my first love, and it will be my last.......
Wil
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Niamh » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:27 pm

I agree with you will, she is herself and that's why we love her.
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Maya85 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:20 pm

For me and I think that for all of us here Moya is on the top :) and that´s the most important.
The only thing that makes me qute sad here is that people doesn´t know Moya. Like with my friends...when they asked me who I do listen to and I said Moya they didn´t know who she is.But after they hear some her music their reviews were -OMG that´s wonderfull. And they like it very much. That makes me happy. It is also difficult to find a shop that seles Moya´s albums but if I search I find some but mostly only online shops.

So for me Moya is big 1 nomatter if i see her in some hit charts or not!!!!!!!
Make my heart a better place
Maya85
Really Enthusiastic Member

PreviousNext

Return to General