About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby admin » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:53 pm

AVATARS ENABLED - Can choose from Gallery & Local Machine.

8) :shock: 8)
admin
Site Admin

How to make your own avatar...

Postby gregoing » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:41 am

Hey, everyone. A lot of you might want to make your own Avatar, so I wrote up this little tutorial. I hope it works well for all of you!
What I did was I took a photo of mine that I had on the computer and opened it in a photo editor. I used Irfanview, a free download. Just open the photo in whatever program you use. It doesn't matter how big or small the photo is. But select a part of the photo you want to end up with. My photo was very large, so I selected the part where my head was. Then I cropped it by going to "Edit" - "Crop selection." Now is the time to save your photo. Go to "File" - "Save as." Type in a file name and make sure "JPG - JPEG Files" is selected under "Save as type." Then, in Irfanview, I just went to "Image" - "Resize/Resample," and under "Set new size", I put a much smaller number in under both Width and Height (I chose somewhere between 70 and 80). Also, make sure that "Preserve aspect ratio" is checked. When I pressed OK, my photo was small. Now save the file again as a different file, still making sure you don't delete or overwrite the first one. When it is saved, right-click the file and make sure it is under 10 KB, the limit on Moya's forums (also, another Moya forum rule is that you cannot use any avater over 100x100 pixels). If it isn't inder 10 KB, you can delete it and go back to the first file you saved and resize it to be smaller. If it is smaller than 10 KB, you can go back to the first file and resize it to make it bigger if you want (but again, no bigger than 100x100 pixels). When you have the file just the way you want it, sign in to Moya's forums and press "Profile." Go down to "Upload Avatar from your machine" and upload the file. And that's it! I hope it works well for you! Enjoy!

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby AndyPandy » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:19 pm

Hi, just another tip for avatars that I found while making mine. If you have Photoshop 7 use the "Save for web" function to reduce its size to below 10k with hardly any reduction in quality, if anyone wants an avatar "squashing" like this, send it my way! :D
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby lizzy1e » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:32 am

I didn't want to start a whole new topic for this - I just want everyone's opinon - is this moving avatar annoying and should I go back to the still one? :mrgreen:
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby Hester » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:01 am

Hey lizzy! Well if you want an honest opinion...I have see a few moving avatars on this site and I found them a bit distracting so yes I prefer the still ones...
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ardens » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:51 pm

I think that your moving avatar is funny, Lizzy. It doesn't bother me. :)
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:05 pm

It's quite entertaining, Lizzy! I quite like it!
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby lizzy1e » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:25 pm

hehe... well I'll leave it up for a wee bit and see how it goes. If someone ends up saying "MAKE IT STOP, I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" - then down she goes. :mrgreen:
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:22 pm

LOL that is sooooooooooooo cool!! 8) 8) 8)
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Keiko » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:52 pm

lizzy1e wrote:I didn't want to start a whole new topic for this - I just want everyone's opinon - is this moving avatar annoying and should I go back to the still one? :mrgreen:

Noo, It is quite entertaining :) Leave it! Where did you find this? You made it your own?

Keiko

~Lost my Heart in Ireland.. Great country, nice people, beautiful places.. I just luv it!

My Blog Keiko's Place
Keiko
Addicted to Moya

Postby Beth » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:08 am

I like it Liz!! I noticed it had changed last night but honestly, I didn't realise that it moved until I saw your post LOL Tis very very cute!!
Beth
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:59 am

izzy1e it is your decision, it reperents you so you should be able to keep it if you like it. Don't worry what others think!!!!
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby lizzy1e » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:30 am

Keiko wrote:
Noo, It is quite entertaining :) Leave it! Where did you find this? You made it your own?

Keiko

It's a photo of myself that I illustrated - I just didn't like having blatant photos up and didn't really know what else to use.

Hehe...Beth, it didn't move at first, then I had more time on my hands so I animated it in Flash. :P

Cool, everyone - thanks for the comments!

P.S. if anyone wants anything similar, moving or still of themselves just let me know - I enjoy making them. :mrgreen:
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:29 am

lizzy1e wrote:P.S. if anyone wants anything similar, moving or still of themselves just let me know - I enjoy making them. :mrgreen:

MEMEMEMEME!!! :mrgreen:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Hester » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:40 am

lizzy1e wrote:It's a photo of myself that I illustrated - I just didn't like having blatant photos up and didn't really know what else to use.

Oooh it's you! I thought it was Moya :mrgreen:
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Administrator