Trouble with Gaelige-English

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Which Language is easier for you to speak

Gaelige
7%
English
93%

Total votes : 27

Postby Phantas » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:33 pm

mise wrote:I also have a forum for people wanting to learn Irish. It is aiming at people who speak the Dutch language, but you are welcome to use the English. Hehe yes I am looking for new members :mrgreen:

http://gaeilge.7.forumer.com

I would like to bow my head to you and say a big thank you!
I have been looking for a way to convert Gaeilge to Dutch (English was okay but it is soooo difficult if it's not your first language) and this seems a good place...will check out your forum once I have time (as well as your site)!

Again, thank you mise!
(now, for some odd reason I thought you were Dutch but was never sure...now I know though LOL!)

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Balor » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:12 am

My experience with trying to learn Irish has brought me face to face with how terribly difficult it is for people to learn English.

Take a standard greeting like "dia dhuit." I have heard this pronounced like "deeyaGut" and "JEEya-Ditch" and both are apparently correct. Because of this lack of standardization, I am told that native speakers of Irish are barely able to understand native speakers of Irish from other parts of the country. Which dialect is a beginning learner of Irish to master?

It would be like a non-native English speaker learning to speak the dialect from the bayous of Louisiana. A lot us in the rest of the US practically need subtitles to understand it.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby irish at heart » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:40 pm

This topic is a year old now, I think. :lol: It's much easier for me to speak English because that's my native language..I'd love to learn how to speak Gaelic as well as I know English, though. ;)
Follow the word
Follow the hope
Follow the dream..
irish at heart
Addicted to Moya

Previous

Return to Fan space