do you have to be musical to enjoy Moya's music?

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

do you have to be musical to enjoy Moya's work?

yes
5%
no
85%
not sure
10%

Total votes : 41

do you have to be musical to enjoy Moya's music?

Postby nessieq » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:04 pm

heya,
i was talking to my friends the other day and asked them why they didn't like moya's music. there response was
"well, Vanessa, we think you have to be a musical person to enjoy "that type" of music"
i personally think this is rubbish, but i was thinking about it and an awful lot of people on this forum seem to be musical themselves. so whatta you lot think? i'm really interested.
thanks in advance,
nessieq.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Phantas » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:41 pm

I do not play an instrument, so I consider myself not to be musical. I do have a musical mind however, and I let my feelings choose the music.
Your friends are , quite simply, totally wrong. When did someone have to be musically inclined to like a certain type of music?

Vanessa, you can say to your friends that they don't know what good music is ;) ;) ;)

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ageless Messanger » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:35 am

I agree with Phantas. You 'DO NOT' have to be musically able to play any instrument to like to be able to enjoy Moya's music or anyone elses music.

I don't play any musical instruement or anything of the sorts, so, to get to the point, my answer is, no you don't have to play a musical instruement to enjoy Moya's music.

A.M.
Believe me
I'm not afraid
Teach me
To learn Your ways
Carry me
Under Your wings
In Your perfect time-Maire Brennan
Ageless Messanger
Enthusiastic Member

Location: Feeling 22, Acting 17, This is the craziest I have ever been

Musical...

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:48 am

I'm a musical person (as I play the flute, recorders and tinwhistles etc.), but it doesn't mean that liking someone's music requires to be musical person. It's really my mind which chooses the music that I like!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Rain » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:13 pm

I have as much music talent as pocket lint - but still appreciate music very much.

:) - Rain
Rain
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:08 pm

Like Suvi, I am also a musical person. No, you don't have to be musical to appreciate Moya's music. However, her music is for those who still know how to think for themselves, and have not sacrificed this ability in order to fit in or follow the crowd.

***Rant mode on***
I have a friend who is an awesome songwriter. She tried to get a songwriting contract with a major record label. When she showed them samples of her work, the first thing they wanted to do was to dumb down her songs, saying the songs were "too intelligent" to be "marketable". And this is what the radio feeds us a steady diet of! :roll:
***Rant mode off***

***Emotional appeal on***
Moya, please, please don't let this happen to you! I wish you all the success in the world, but I don't want you to cut the heart out of your songwriting to have it! And don't let them take you away from us, your fans! We love you!
***Emotional appeal off***

Le grá,
Jim
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Bal Winton » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:50 pm

I suck at musical things...

And although i'm not a big super-duper fan of Moya or Enya etc i do quite like the songs i've listened to.

I can also guess who said that to you. *cough*Holly*cough* :roll:
Bal Winton

Postby nessieq » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:43 pm

Jim wrote:Like Suvi, I am also a musical person. No, you don't have to be musical to appreciate Moya's music. However, her music is for those who still know how to think for themselves, and have not sacrificed this ability in order to fit in or follow the crowd.

***Rant mode on***
I have a friend who is an awesome songwriter. She tried to get a songwriting contract with a major record label. When she showed them samples of her work, the first thing they wanted to do was to dumb down her songs, saying the songs were "too intelligent" to be "marketable". And this is what the radio feeds us a steady diet of! :roll:
***Rant mode off***

***Emotional appeal on***
Moya, please, please don't let this happen to you! I wish you all the success in the world, but I don't want you to cut the heart out of your songwriting to have it! And don't let them take you away from us, your fans! We love you!
***Emotional appeal off***

Le grá,
Jim

i agree with you completely, we're the sort of people that love the music for what it is, not necessarily for the person behind it, although don't get me wrong, moya's a lovely, generous person!
i'll be sending a link to my friends who said that. 100%, i don't even remember the last time the forum was so decided on something! thanks for taking part!
nessieq.
nessieq

Postby Jonathan. K. » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:11 pm

Well, me myself am musical, but don't think you have to be musical to understang her music. Good music needn't a musical listener, it needs a listening heart. I'm right ain't I ?
~Live the love, love the life~
Jonathan. K.

Postby nessieq » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:03 pm

absolutely, just becuase you don't play doesn't mean that her music isn't so beautiful anyone can listen to it. that's the beauty of moya's music, it's open to so many age groups, so many people from so many backgrounds and every single one of us is touced by it in our own special way. quite an achievement, don't you think?
nessieq.
nessieq

Postby Angoid » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:17 am

I voted "I'm not sure" but that does not mean the same as "I don't know".

I think if you are musically inclined you may notice things in the music that non-musical people might miss, for example I really love the 3-3-2 timing on the Clannad song Croi Croga. To me that's a very clever time signature to write music in, and it works very well indeed.

However, if you don't know what the timing is, or what key the song is written in, you can still enjoy the music as much.

My understanding of music is pretty limited, however not non-existent, and I really love Maire's music. I'll put it on while and listen while I'm doing mundane jobs, writing computer code, or helping someone in another forum to get rid of their spyware......
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

no musical ability required

Postby Bridin » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:14 pm

I would have to be the most unmusical person on the planet. I have no idea about notes, timing or what musical instrument made what sound. I just know that when I listen to Maires music, it takes me off into a place where there are no ringing telephones, slamming doors or fighting children and that cannot be a bad thing.

Bridin
Bridin

Postby Annika » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:45 am

I'm not musical even I'd like to play some instrument. I just enjoy music a lot and it's very important thing in my life. I don't know do I hear the music any differently than the musicians but I don't mind about it. Sometimes I can hear some special parts of a song that catch my attention and I simply keep enjoying it. So, in my opinion you don't have to be musical to like Máire's music.
Climbing high just to feel free
Dreaming of love everywhere
Annika

Postby nessieq » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:28 pm

i'm a musical person, but i don't think you have to be to enjoy moya's music. on the other hand, if you're musical you could possibly apprechiate some of the tequniques she uses and the mix of harmonies and instruments.
whatta you lot think?
nessieq.
nessieq

Do you have to be a musical person to be

Postby Chroí » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:39 am

I don't play any instrument and I'm not a singer, but I consider myself as a musical person, for music is an essential part of my life. And I agree with some of fans when you say that we're not obliged to be able to read music or play any instrument in order to enjoy Moya's music. Her music is so plenty of melodies, rhythms, and fine instrumentation that all what we have to do is listening calmly, with open ears, and mind and soul, a little bit like exposition to the sun on the beach ! And the magic works ! So, in a certain way of understanding, "musical persons", i. e. people with active listening, may fully enjoy that kind of marvellous music...

Chroi
A Thiarna Dé, Bhi tart ar mo chroí, rinne tu ur mé. O Lord God, my heart was thirsty, You made me new.
Chroí

Next

Return to General