Windows XP and Server 2003 Vulnerability

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Windows XP and Server 2003 Vulnerability

Postby Angoid » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:43 pm

Thought I'd make you all aware of this .... you may have read about it elsewhere or vaguely heard about it.

A serious vulnerability has been discovered in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 which would allow an attacker to gain access to your system and compromise its security. This enables the installation of malware onto your system such as viruses, trojans, adware, and spyware by way of an infected WMV (Windows Media Player) file.

Here is the article I read pertaining to it; a bit technical in places but it does outline and describe the problem.

Someone on another forum has also pointed me to this article here which gives the download location for an unofficial, but tested fix. Microsoft is unlikely to release a fix for it themselves until at least the 10th January.

This unofficial patch can be removed using Add/Remove programs. I'm not sure as to whether the Microsoft one, when it becomes available, will clash with this. If it does, then uninstall this one.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby nessieq » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:44 pm

:shock: That doesnt sound very nice... thanks for the tip off, angus.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Return to Administrator