Perhaps... an idea?

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Perhaps... an idea?

Postby Keara » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:17 am

To the owner of this site... My lack of knowledge towards the members is amazing.

You really should consider a forum where new members post, like an 'Introduce Yourself' place, where other members post thei welcomes and such. It would be a much easier task to meet the regulars that way.
Keara
Enthusiastic Member

Postby the whistleplayer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:37 pm

Hi Keara,

welcome to the forum!
I'm not the administrator :mrgreen: but if you would like to introduce yourself, you could post in 'Fan Space' (which is also the most fun part of the forum in my opinion... :D )

Andrea
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Keara » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:49 pm

Thank you.
As you know, my name is Keara. Lovely to meet you.
Keara
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Perhaps... an idea?

Postby sarahCat210 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:06 am

Keara wrote:To the owner of this site... My lack of knowledge towards the members is amazing.

You really should consider a forum where new members post, like an 'Introduce Yourself' place, where other members post thei welcomes and such. It would be a much easier task to meet the regulars that way.

I couldn't agree more Keara :D We just recently added a section on the forum that I admin for where all members and new members who wish to "introduce themselves". The member can go to that section and start a new thread to introduce themselves in, or they can post in a thread that is already there. Just and idea, but it works great. :D

SC
sarahCat210
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:25 am

I think maybe the best way is to encourage people to start a new thread in Fan Space.

On many other forums, they have one "Introduce Yourself" thread, and it usually gets really long and when I see that as a newbie on a forum it makes me feel that I'm just one amongst many hundreds of people, none of whom are special in any way.

Personally, I prefer newbies introducing themselves to start a new thread .... that way, all the replies are to that person and not the newbie who posted 2 or 3 before .... and if you introduce yourself and 3 or 4 others do so at the same time, you don't get lost as "old news" just because those 3 or 4 people came along 5 minutes after you did.

Just my 10 cents worth anyway .... I've had that before when I've introduced myself on a forum using thier "Introduce yorself" thread (some 50 pages long) and been almost entirely overlooked. It makes one think, "Why did I bother?"

I'll go to Fan Space and make a suitable announcement.
:)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby nessieq » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:20 pm

Great idea, Angus, that's definately the best way to do it, in my opinion anyway. I remember we used to have threads called "introduce yourself" but, because we had such a small community and not very many new members, the topic always got deleted due to it never being used... so this'll be perfect. Nice one.
n.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby sarahCat210 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:08 pm

Angoid wrote:I think maybe the best way is to encourage people to start a new thread in Fan Space.

On many other forums, they have one "Introduce Yourself" thread, and it usually gets really long and when I see that as a newbie on a forum it makes me feel that I'm just one amongst many hundreds of people, none of whom are special in any way.

Personally, I prefer newbies introducing themselves to start a new thread .... that way, all the replies are to that person and not the newbie who posted 2 or 3 before .... and if you introduce yourself and 3 or 4 others do so at the same time, you don't get lost as "old news" just because those 3 or 4 people came along 5 minutes after you did.

Just my 10 cents worth anyway .... I've had that before when I've introduced myself on a forum using thier "Introduce yorself" thread (some 50 pages long) and been almost entirely overlooked. It makes one think, "Why did I bother?"

I'll go to Fan Space and make a suitable announcement.
:)

Great idea Angoid :D Another forum I am on originally had one thread for introducing yourselves, but we thought it would be more fun if we started a section that is made for that. I agree, I think one thread gets too long, and then is overlooked. People tend to notice more if a new thread is started :D Way To Go Angoid :!:

SC
sarahCat210
Addicted to Moya

Return to Administrator