Admin: Login Woes

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Admin: Login Woes

Postby Angoid » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:00 pm

I don't know if others are experiencing this, but this seems to be an issue on some sites that use this particular forum software.

More often that not, I need to log in twice. After the first login, it shows me as active on the board but it still gives me a "login" link (as opposed to my name together with 'logout') and any posts I make are made as a guest unless I log in again.

Furthermore, all new posts are marked as "read" thus the "View posts since my last visit" returns nothing.

It would appear that using the Login to check my private messages lisk works round this and lets you log in just the once.

Sometimes, when logging out, I also have to log out twice as well.

Usually (for example at home) I stay logged in, but I'm not always at home posting from my own PC so don't necessarily want my login stored on someone else's PC. This does not seem to be PC dependent: it happens on pretty much any PC I try.

Question: Has anyone else experienced this?

Admin: Can you try the following:
  • On the left-hand pane, under General Admin, click on Configuration.
  • Scroll down the right-hand side until you get to the subheading Cookie settings
  • Post back what you have in the following:
    - Cookie domain (default setting is blank)
    - Cookie name (default setting is phpbb2mysql)
    - Cookie path (default setting is a single forward slash).
  • Exit the Admin control panel.

If the settings are not the defaults, it may be worth setting them to the default values and seeing whether this cures the problem.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Angoid » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:57 pm

For anyone who is experiencing the "double login problem", check to see how you're getting to the forum.

I've habitually been typing www.forums.moyabrennan.com or enough thereof to get me here. When I do this, I find I have to log in twice in order for it to 'take'.

If you're getting the same problem, then that could be the reason.

Instead, type http://forums.moyabrennan.com (i.e. no www.) and you should find it will work.

This will also explain why some people get this problem and others don't.

Check your bookmarks (if you've got the forum bookmarked) and see what you have. If you're using the www version and you get the double-login problem, then try changing it to omit the www and see whether that works for you.

The problem arises because when using a "subdomain" (as we do here for this forum) you shouldn't really use www. But this one lets you get in both with and without the www, and this is what is doing it.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby kevinkells » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:26 am

Angoid wrote:For anyone who is experiencing the "double login problem", check to see how you're getting to the forum.

I've habitually been typing www.forums.moyabrennan.com or enough thereof to get me here. When I do this, I find I have to log in twice in order for it to 'take'.

If you're getting the same problem, then that could be the reason.

Instead, type http://forums.moyabrennan.com (i.e. no www.) and you should find it will work.

This will also explain why some people get this problem and others don't.

Check your bookmarks (if you've got the forum bookmarked) and see what you have. If you're using the www version and you get the double-login problem, then try changing it to omit the www and see whether that works for you.

The problem arises because when using a "subdomain" (as we do here for this forum) you shouldn't really use www. But this one lets you get in both with and without the www, and this is what is doing it.
Thanks Angoid, I'II try it if I come across this problem again.
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Beth » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:28 pm

Just a second ago, I was looking at something in fanbase. I got out to look at the rest of the forum and got logged out... when I went to log back in, it said that my username was invalid... clearly it worked when I signed back in but it was just strange that it did that....

Just a note for the wonderful Admins here :mrgreen:
Beth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:15 pm

Strange, as I wasn't working on the forum code at that time :roll: .

In fact, now it's pretty stable there is little need to work on the code unless a problem comes to light or I'm trying to work on a feature / suss out why something is failing.

But if it happens again, please post back along with the exact wording of the error message (what I often tell customers at work!); exact error wording helps me get to the root of the problem much quicker!
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Return to Administrator