Message from an Enthusiastic Member

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Should we keep the member titles?

Yes
68%
No
11%
Not bothered
21%

Total votes : 28

Postby Hester » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:22 pm

nessieq wrote:certainly gave me a good chuckle when i saw them. :lol:
ness.

.... :lol: Exactly, same here....
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Lady Ryu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:23 am

H.E.N wrote:
nessieq wrote:certainly gave me a good chuckle when i saw them. :lol:
ness.

.... :lol: Exactly, same here....

I'll second that! especially the "Addict to Moya" for ness and grania is really funny!

i know, that in some forums these titles are the major cause for spam. I don't think it will be the same here.
I mean, the first titles isn't so bad, that you want to change it as soon as possible, and there are only 5.
in the final fantasy forum i'm in, things are worse. you start as a mogry, to become a chocobo to be then a SEED-recrut. as for you this may not sound that bad (I doubt you know what a mogry or a chocobo is), compare with the following: Guardian, Summoner, Guardian Force, Gardenmaster, High Summoner, Blitzball-God, ... Final Fantasy God. small difference. as the average age of this forum is under 13, and i am one of the oldest, it is made to cause a lot of problems. newbies aren't treated very well, the saying "well, when you know how it works here, you won't ask stupid questions anymore" is very frequent. there are more spams than intelligent discussions, and a lot of insultations in some threads. (why am i still there?) to be safe there, you have just to know with whom you can talk like an intelligent person and whom you should ignore. :roll:
as i never found these problems in the moyaforum, i think the ranks here are quite safe to use.
the average I.Q. here is more than the double of the ff-forum, and this with less then 50 % the users. :P
Matteo - always in my heart

Never ever I wished so much that heaven truly exists, and that you are waiting there for me.
Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:13 pm

That's why I chose names that would hopefully not cause problems here ... I mean, we're ALL addicted to Moya I guess but I felt that these titles such wouldn't convey any kind of superiority.

Lady Ryu, it was a programming forum I was referring to in my earlier post ... what gets me is that those "respected" spammers actually destroy themselves on their own credentials.

What happens is this. I go to the forum because I want to find the answer to a technical question I have. I search the FAQ ... not there. So I search the board.

I find a hit where someone is asking exactly the same question as I am, who has only 20 or 30 posts to his/her name. Then there's a reply from a long-standing member there with 2,300 posts and all he has to say is, "You know, Google is a great search engine!"

Following a few more links from the same search yields similar results.

You give up and go to Google .... what do you get? Those very same threads in your Google results!

So now these eejits have not only spammed their beloved forum, they've also spammed Google in the process!!

One of these people annoyed me so much once that I used the "reputation" system they had there (a system I usually strongly disagree with) to tell him that he's an idiot .... in Chinese, using Chinese characters. This means that unless he was using XP he'd get a prompt asking him to download the Chinese character set every time he went to view his profile. How annoying. I hope he knew what it felt like to be messed about.

Strangely enough, they don't use that reputation system there anymore. Hmmm.

That's probably the first and only time I've ever been incensed enough to flame anyone, so don't go round worried that you're going to start getting Chinese PMs, etc!
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Lady Ryu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:38 pm

this sounds cool. i would love to do that with one of that kiddies who are always insulting anyone who just happens to be in the same thread for some reasons.

but i'm happy you won't do that here.

I really like the titles here. all of them are actually nice and gave me a giggle.

Never ever I wished so much that heaven truly exists, and that you are waiting there for me.
Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:34 pm

I'm sorry to all involved in creating this, but I do not like it.

It's not because I find them competitive, but rather pointless and uninspired to be fairly honest. (Sorry again, just my opinion).

I know for myself I don't post that much here, but I'm not bothered with posting a lot here as most of the threads I'm not interested in. I come here to seek news about Moya and her releases, not about everyone's personal life so you can chat away without me being there (LOL). But you knew that.

Although I visit regularly, I spend relatively LITTLE time on forums. I rarely engage in a vivid chat about off-topic things unless I find it concerns ALL members. This you probably all know, as you hardly see me around, I suppose.

Only place where you'll be able to find me regularly would be the Musicians and Writer section...I sometimes post things there.

Thus, I do not see the need for a ranking whatsoever. Almost every forum I visit has a ranking of some kind which is getting tiresome :oops:

(I'll shut up before rather hurtful objects are thrown my way LOL)

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:01 pm

Lady Ryu wrote:I'll second that! especially the "Addict to Moya" for ness and grania is really funny!

I like it too :lol: :lol: couldn't be much more accurate eh?

I don't think these titles can be competitive, simple because they aren't easy to spot. As for them being pointless, let's face it, we're all rather good at being daft on here, and some of us come here to enjoy that - I think it adds to the fun!!

Thanks all - G
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:41 pm

I'll second that! especially the "Addict to Moya" for ness and grania is really funny!

Yep, and don't forget me, I'm also one of the "addicts" here...! I really laughed out loud when I came back home from our concert trip (exhausted) and saw the new ranks!!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:41 pm

I think that's just it - we're all capable of taking a joke on here :lol: I know some people would hate to have my rank anywhere - personally, I love it lol. 8)

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Lady Ryu » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:46 am

cantilena91 wrote:

Yep, and don't forget me, I'm also one of the "addicts" here...! I really laughed out loud when I came back home from our concert trip (exhausted) and saw the new ranks!!

Suvi

sorry saw your addict status only after I posted. :lol:

as long as people do not see it as competitive it's just a good joke.
but i understand all who say that they don't like it.

Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:20 am

Just wondering if there could be a switch for the members, to turn on or off those ranks? Then those who want to keep it would be able to do so whereas those who don't like it would not need to have it...!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:45 am

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to turn it off for some and not for others ....

The only thing that could be done (although over time this will get clumsy) is to set up a "special rank" (say, "Forum Member") and directly assign those who don't like ranks to that rank.

But it gets clumsy because we don't want lots of special ranks all over the place.

The only special ranks we have here are as follows:
  • Site Admin = Preset by the board, only Moyad (the real admin) has this rank
  • Technical Administrator = For JimW, ChrisRLG, and me. I did this to make it clear that it's moyad who's the real admin who has final authority here.
  • Banned Member = For the likes of flaunt and continental who register in order to spam the board. Typically these people will find their posts deleted and their member status set to banned. The special rank of "Banned member" is assigned to these people.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby mise » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:41 am

:D Now those ranks I do like, especially the banned member one! Angus you are working so hard for us! Thanks a million
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby agategs » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:46 pm

Phantas wrote:I know for myself I don't post that much here, but I'm not bothered with posting a lot here as most of the threads I'm not interested in. I come here to seek news about Moya and her releases, not about everyone's personal life so you can chat away without me being there (LOL). But you knew that.

Just to throw in my 2 cents :oops:, I have to agree with Phantas here. I don't post often at all, but I do check in every other day or so to see what's going on and catch up on Moya news. I've been registered with the forum almost since the day it opened 2 years ago, yet I because I post so seldom, I'm still classified as "new"? :? I was kinda taken back by that, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, the rankings are a fun idea, but they are sort-of misleading.

Hasta luego,
Kimberly, aka Agate
http://www.celticlyricscorner.net/
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal, ach mairidh ceol agus gaol.
The world will come to an end, but music and love will endure.
agategs

Postby Angoid » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:01 pm

I've yet to see a system based on date joined but you're right .... as it's based on number of posts only it can be misleading to refer to someone as "new" just because they don't post often.

It's entirely possible to get a newbie who posts enthusiastically and quickly moves on "through the ranks" while someone else, who doesn't post often, remains a "newbie".

Some forum softwares have this concept of "karma" where you can give someone a good or bad reputation which then shows up against their avatars when they post .... that's an idea I really dislike. It's not implemented on phpBB, and even if a future release incorporates it I for one won't introduce its use.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Grania » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:18 pm

That can be confusing I suppose....but then why do we have 'date of joining' with our names?

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space