related artists

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

what do you think is the best related artist or group?

Iona
7%
Eden's bridge
3%
Clannad
45%
Enya
39%
other
6%

Total votes : 69

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:34 pm

altennis wrote:Hey Jim,would you like Moya to go back to her old band,maybe sometime later. Why did they split ? I really believe they haven't reach their potential.

I think maybe Ciaran's prediction of a "permanent vacation" may have come true; however, I can see maybe another incarnation of the band, possibly under another name and with a few additional members. I would like to see Moya re-join this band, but they may sound even better with a double (or even triple) female lead, like Moya, Dee and Bridin or Moya and the Ni Dhomhnaill sisters.

altennis wrote:Especially now when she is awesome as ever. Probably later I hope but now I will enjoy her new style, although I miss her old style which is more powerful and a little bit scary.

Personally, I feel as if the new album may be more of a flight of fancy for Moya, and maybe not indicative of her style to come. I think she will stay close to her roots in general, but explore many different styles, much like Capercaillie.

altennis wrote:Thank you for your suggestions with other artist .I definitely can't get enough music similar to Moya's .

You're more than welcome! :D (Even though I indicated music similar to Clannad. Moya is one of a kind!)

P.S. (to Moya): I'm really just thinking aloud here. Even if you make a liar of me and my predictions, I'll still love you! :mrgreen:
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby LibraryJim » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:50 pm

I voted 'other', and would have to cast my vote for Loreena McKennitt, both for the background in trad Irish music and the new direction into an individual style.

Others I like are 'Secret Garden' and 'Anúna', for groups, Connie Dover and Shelia Walsh for individuals.

Iona, Deep Still, Eden's Bridge ('Celtic Worship', 'Celtic Psalms' etc.) are fantastic groups but do not have a related style to Máire and Enya, etc.

Peace

Jim E. <><
LibraryJim

Postby Embers » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:11 pm

Enya!

My all time favourite. I had no favourite artist before her, and no one will ever give me as much as her music has given. Just impossible.

So, simply Enya - always and ever.
Image Embers ... Great minds think alike.
Embers

Postby mise » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:25 pm

Well obviously Clannad is where Máire learned her style and I think you can hear that very well in her earlier work. But then I find that Clannads later cd's have a close resemblance to Máire's personal style; especially the bits she wrote herself.

I think if you would want to hear more music like Máire's own you should try Clannad's latest albums (after pastpresent)
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby richard » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:21 pm

i hope clannad do return, but with moya starting work on a new solo album next month, i have my doubts as to clannad making a comeback. once moya releases her new solo cd and promotes it with another tour, that will be another year/ 18 months so if clannad do return. it will be after a 10 year gap.
Richard.
richard

Postby Eternal_Silence » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:50 pm

Uh... Enya! :mrgreen: first: I actually only know her out of the list. Yah i know clannad too, buti don't have cd's of clannad yet :mrgreen:
And second: I absolouly loooooove her music :D
so simple choice for me :mrgreen:

Marlies
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Related artists

Postby Chroí » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:00 am

Hi everyone !

I voted for Enya, though if Loreena McKennitt would have been listed... I don't know Iona : if links exist with Moya and Enya, I would be pleased to know more.

Le gra

Chroi
A Thiarna Dé, Bhi tart ar mo chroí, rinne tu ur mé. O Lord God, my heart was thirsty, You made me new.
Chroí

Re: Related artists

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:05 am

Chroí wrote:I don't know Iona : if links exist with Moya and Enya, I would be pleased to know more.

Iona is primarily a "progressive rock" band. I find their sound to be quite varied and their are plenty of Celtic elements to it. Put it this way - if you are as much a fan of early Genesis or Kansas as you are of Celtic music, you will like Iona.

The connection exists with Moya on at least two points. Moya provided backing vocals on Iona's Journey into the Morn album. Also, Joanne Hogg, Iona's lead singer, was on the Irish Hymns project with Moya.

Also, links with Steeleye Span exist, with Tim Harries on the Irish Hymns Project and Martin Carthy on Two Horizons.
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim

Related artists

Postby Chroí » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:20 am

Jim, thanks a lot. I'll try some of your complete and well-documented hints.

Le gra

Chroi
A Thiarna Dé, Bhi tart ar mo chroí, rinne tu ur mé. O Lord God, my heart was thirsty, You made me new.
Chroí

Postby Macha » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:14 pm

I like the music of Clannad, of course, but when I should decide on this poll, so I would give my vote to Enya. She was the first artist whose music I heard at first. But I'm a fan of Clannad too, that's no question.
I love the music of the "Brennan family" (Clannad included!). :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Macha on Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:13 pm

heya folks,
i voted clannad because, although i haven't heard much of some of the other bands, i'm a die hard moya fan and LVOE clannad. i listen to them all the time and can't wait to see if they release something new. i suppose it's in the blood- my dad's mad keen on them too.
well, that's my view, to me, the other bands just can't compare. clannad are in a musical field of their own.
nq.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

related artists

Postby kevinkells » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:48 am

I prefer Clannad, but I'm also fond of Edens Bridge. :wink:
kevinkells

Postby Hester » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:59 pm

With the forum back up, let's revive some old topics:
My favourite related group is definitely Clannad :mrgreen:
Although I must say I looooove Iona as well, it is in fact through them that I actually got interested in Moya and Clannad....
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Re: related artists

Postby nessieq » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:12 pm

kevinkells wrote:I prefer Clannad, but I'm also fond of Edens Bridge. :wink:

Ooooh, they're fantastic, i've got angus to thank for introducing them to me, and Lyn too, looooove their CD "Isle Of Tides". 8)
n.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Nigel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:58 pm

I voted for Enya, because i absolutely love Enya. I have only just recently started listening to Clannad (Thanks Grania :wink:) and i absolutely love Clannad as well. The Landmarks album, to put it mildly is simply amazing :D
Nigel
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to General