reply notifications

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

reply notifications

Postby AndyPandy » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:53 pm

Has anyone else suffered a lack of post notifications to their email accounts? I've recieved none for a couple of days even though people have replied to subjects i'm watching. :(
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Reliance

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:27 am

AndyPandy wrote:Has anyone else suffered a lack of post notifications to their email accounts? I've recieved none for a couple of days even though people have replied to subjects i'm watching.

Please tell me how that is relivat to any of this.

Postby Angoid » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:38 am

Andy, is this still happening since the upgrade? Sorry I didn't spot this before!

Go to your own profile and check to see if reply notifications are still on. No settings should have been lost during the upgrade, but it's worth double-checking to be sure.

It might be a problem with phpBB as I'm on another forum driven by the same software, and sometimes I don't receive the notifications.

It's also worth checking to see if you've got any spam filtration on that might be throwing the notifications away as if they're spam.

Let us know what you find.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby AndyPandy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:46 pm

Hi Angus, as you can see from the date of my post that was over a year ago!! It still happens on this forum occasionally but I'm not sure if its any worse since the update.

Who on earth was the guest?

Dear Mr. / Mrs. / Miss. Guest: Where else would you like me to post technical questions?
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:11 pm

Hi Andy,

I saw the September but failed to spot the 2004 :( thus I thought it was only a month ago that you posted that.

I now received a PM from someone and got the notification perfectly OK, so it may be an issue that was fixed during the upgrade. Before that (and before the hacking) I used to get them, but occasionally they would go AWOL.

I think some ISPs use spam filters that check e-mail for spamminess using a pre-defined set of rules. Automated e-mails generated by forums, etc. tend to score highly on these, and as a result often get thrown away before being received.

If you use AOL, then you may have a big problem with e-mails going AWOL. I worked on a project about a year ago that involved generating automatic e-mails from a PHP script, and in testing we found that e-mails sent to AOL customers were being thrown away. I had to add special notes to the form saying that AOL members must check their spam folders for the important automatically-generated e-mail.

I don't know who the gurst is. It's just a troll we seem to have picked up since the upgrade, so prolly best to ignore him/her/it :P I've noticed other posts here following the same kind of format: pick up on something someone has said and then make a useless spamment about it.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Hester » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:12 pm

Hey Andy,

Have you seen the other messages that this mysterious guest has posted? They simply make no sense at all...
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:17 pm

I'm going to delete them for now. I just saw one in the Musicians and Writers forum and got rid of it. I'll leave this one though as we're discussing it, so our conversation would look a bit silly without it.

I'd everybody here to NOT answer those remarks, just ignore them as though they're not even there.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Return to Administrator