Love Came Down album cover + sound clips...

Space to discuss Moya's Christmas album

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, gregoing, Grania, All Moderators

Do you like the cover of "Love Came Down?"

Yes, I love it!
67%
It's ok.
16%
I hate it! It's so not Moya!
18%

Total votes : 45

Postby Yvonne » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:59 am

H.E.N wrote:
Suzanne wrote:I am sorry to say that I don't like the cover. It is so un-Moya.

So un-Moya?! Don't agree with that :D If you put all Moya's solo-albums next to each other you see that she has an entirely different cover every single time....every time the Art work is a wonderful surprise. That's why I think this cover perfectly fits in with the others! It is very Moya-like because she dares to try something new and unexpected (my opinion, you don't need to agree :mrgreen: )
A lot of mainstream Christmas albums have the kind of cover that scream at you from a 100 miles distance "I am a Christmas album" this one doesn't. You usually see the artist sitting in some candlelit room with Christmas decorations all around. I think Moya's cover is execellent in that she doesn't need all this gaudery and frills. The way she has styled herself and her hair in this picture give me a suggestion of Christmas decorations and I think that is brilliant and shows a sense of humour..... (guess I better go now, I realize I am repeating myself LOL :mrgreen: )
Anyway...my flatmate just walked in and I showed her the cover, she spontaneaously ejaculated: "OH WOW" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I find it interesting to read all the responses....tastes do differ!!!!!!!!!! and there's nothing wrong with that :D

Hester

Hi hi,

I agree with you that it's great that tastes differ! I will try to explain what I mean by Un-Moya. You are absoluly right that all Moya covers are different in style, but this one feels different because it seems so , how shall I say it, cold and not very stylish (IMHO). My first thought when I saw it was: Oh no, what a scary cover! For me, it has a bit of a negative feel to it.

Especially because it is a Christmas album I had expected the cover to be warm and friendly-looking. I know what you mean by cliché Christmas covers, and that's not what I wanted or expected from Moya, but this is quite the opposite!

I don't think the cover represents the music that is on the cd (at least, I hope it doesn't) I hope the music will be warm and beautiful.

Sorry if I sound so negative. I don't mean to, this is just my opinion. As I said before, I don't think a cover is that important ( you won't believe this after this long post, though... :wink: )I still look forward to the new CD and I hope the music will be beautiful ( I just won't look at the cover too much :mrgreen: )

Love,

Suzanne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Manners » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm

Well I have to agree with Ness and say I LOVE the cover..very stylish

And as for being "un-moya-like" go back and check the pictures for
The "Misty-eyed Adventures" album shoot!

Didn't like that album cover so much but love this one. And I love Enya's new cover too, it's similar in style. I'm hoping the music on "Amarantine" will be as refreshingly different as the cover :wink:

Mx
And it hides...from the outside
And it shines ...from within
Manners

Awful cd-cover

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:03 pm

I totally agree with Suzanne, the cover doesnt look peaceful. I was very surprised by it. It's not Moya-like. By the way, does Moya have a new recordcompany again ? It looks its not by Universal this time. Whats the problem ? Every record seems to need another recordcompany, don't understand that.
In this place I shelter now.
The fire built will soon die down.
I thirst for You on this dry land.
My life is daily in Your hand.
Rob

Postby nessieq » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:03 pm

You all keep saying it's "Un-Moya"- but what exactly is a "Moya" album cover??? Or even music for that matter- it's experimental, its different, it's unique.. ok, Im not saying you have to like it but I dont think it's fair to blame her for not sticking to the same old thing over and over again- life would just be boring that way- an artist has to work hard on their image and sound to keep the audience interested.. would you not be more annoyed if she decided to release something on a theme with previous albums? As far as Im concerned, it's hard to dare to be different, and it shows Moya's got guts to do so.
Just my two cents.
n.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby gregoing » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:43 pm

On the issue of the record company, it seems that Furious? Records was formed by Delirious?, which is a Christian music group many people say are similar to U2. I'm sure most of you have already heard of Delirious.
Also, Delirious? put together a Youth World Day compilation with songs by many of the artists who performed there, including "Snow Me" by Moya. The CD is called "Building One World" and you can order it here.
I'm thinking that Moya's transition to Furious? Records may have something to do with the fact that she sang at World Youth Day with Delirious? But I thought I read somewhere on a Moya interview that she was doing another album for Universal. Maybe this Christmas album is a side project that Universal didn't want to have a part of, so Moya decided to go with Furious? because of their friendship/collaborations in the past. FYI: I'm only speculating.

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:38 am

nessieq wrote:You all keep saying it's "Un-Moya"- but what exactly is a "Moya" album cover??? Or even music for that matter- it's experimental, its different, it's unique.. ok, Im not saying you have to like it but I dont think it's fair to blame her for not sticking to the same old thing over and over again- life would just be boring that way- an artist has to work hard on their image and sound to keep the audience interested.. would you not be more annoyed if she decided to release something on a theme with previous albums? As far as Im concerned, it's hard to dare to be different, and it shows Moya's got guts to do so.
Just my two cents.
n.

I couldn't have said it better!! :D :wink:

@--->-->--
'When I am an old woman I shall wear purple' - Jenny Joseph

**I am not a has-been - I am a will-be**
Sandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby Yvonne » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:00 am

Hi Nessie,

You are absolutely right in saying that Moya's music and covers are experimental and indeed, that is one of the reasons why we love her so much :) . I will try one more time to explain why I think this one is different and "un-Moya" and then I will shut up about it! I don't want to keep on talking about this. It's not that important and it is okay that we all have different opinions.

All Moya's covers are different, but they all have in common that they are peaceful (thak you Rob, that was the word I was looking for) and graceful. Even Misty Eyed Adventures has this quality, I think, though it is a bit playful. It does fit with the music that is on the disc, many world music influences. Look at the lovely cover of Máire. The peace of Perfect Time, the powerful yet graceful image of WTTWW and the mysterious cover of Two Horizons. All are different, all fit with the music on the cd, all are stylish.

When I see the cover of Love Came Down I don't get "the message" : I don't expect a heart warming, beautiful Christmas cd when I see this cover. I would expect some very experimental music, a bit heavy metal-ish even. It does not show Moya's usual "self" (I don't know how to say it)

Well, I still hope it WILL be a beautiful Christmas CD in praise of our Lord and I believe it will be. I just think the cover is disappointing . I am glad some of us like it. We just have different opinions, that's all. :mrgreen:

Next month this whole discussion will probably be forgotten when we can discuss the music! I am looking forward to that!

Love,

Suzanne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Beth » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:48 pm

Ok, I am starting to think this is something to do with a family thing... Enya's album cover is something that a good number of people at Unity don't like, Moya's cover is one that some people don't like..... Enya's album cover is fairly simple with a stark white background, Moya's is.. um.. with a stark white backgrond.... and now

ImageImage

The pic of Enya is from the possible single cover. The other has been confirmed as the album cover... but also, look at Moya's dress in her album picture and look at this pic of Eithne:

Beth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:22 pm

On the issue of the record company, it seems that Furious? Records was formed by Delirious?, which is a Christian music group many people say are similar to U2. I'm sure most of you have already heard of Delirious.

I notice that she'd switched to using Furious? as well .... same as Delirious?.

I'm not overly familiar with U2, but I do know that Bono is a Christian and I took the plunge and bought their How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb last weekend.

Although noisier than what I usually like and am used to, it does have some tracks I like.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Grania » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:43 pm

Right, my turn :lol:

I know I wasn't very enthusiastic about Moya's new album cover to begin with, but I think that's mostly beacause it took me by surprise. Now I've had time to look again and again, in more detail I do like it. Maybe it's not my favourite of her album covers, but having said that I really don't HAVE one I like best for the artwork! I do like this, and I can understand in a sense why Moya might have chosen the design - although don't ask me to go into that, the way my mind works is way too complicated 8)

But can I ask everyone something? I know I was almost the person who sparked this off :( but can we not argue about this? I hate it when anything that isn't really positive is on the forum - it gives it a bad feeling sometimes.

Let's just celebrate that we will soon have more Moya to fall in love with! :D
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Hester » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:19 pm

Grania wrote:But can I ask everyone something? I know I was almost the person who sparked this off :( but can we not argue about this? I hate it when anything that isn't really positive is on the forum - it gives it a bad feeling sometimes.

Well, personally I wouldn't call this argueing but discussing and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I also don't think it is negative but actually quite positive to give our honest opinion about what we think of Moya's work (the cover of her new cd included) I am sure she would prefer honest constructive criticism instead of simply adoring everything she does...(no offence to anyone ok!)

(Grania, I do think I understand your feelings though...you're afraid you're responsible for starting a 'not really positive argueing' but I don't think you should regard it as that)
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Beth » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:05 pm

G, I don't call this argueing but I agree with Hester. I think it would get really old for Moya to hear all the time that we love EVERYTHING she does. That would be like no being able to say that I don't like a certain song but love the rest.

No worries G and Hugs!
Beth
Addicted to Moya

Postby gregoing » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:14 pm

OK, everyone - I edited my original post on this topic so now it has a poll with it. You can now vote on whether you like the cover a lot, not so much, or if you hate it. Let the votes be many in number! (...and may the voting begin...)

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Grania » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:50 pm

OK girls, I maybe put that the wrong way......but you know what I mean??? Sorry, I can't think of any other way to put it :oops: :oops: :oops:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby nessieq » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:58 pm

Hey.. G, i dont think u sparked anything off or that this is an argument- it's a forum, for discussions, and as far as I'm concerned that's what we're doing- discussing whether or not we like the new album or not, and I'm perfectly prepared to accept that other people aren't going to have the same opinions as me, and that's FINE, I dont care! Dont feel bad.. you didnt "start" anything.
Thanks for starting the poll, greg, it'll be really interesting to see what the results are like!!
n.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

PreviousNext

Return to An Irish Christmas