New category in the forum?

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Would you like to have a new "Irish Language" category in this forum?

Yes!
No votes
Yes!
53%
Good idea BUT...
No votes
Good idea BUT...
32%
No!
16%

Total votes : 19

New category in the forum?

Postby an file » Thu May 26, 2005 4:37 pm

Dia daoibh to all of you!

I was thinking about the possibility to introduce a new category to Moyas forum. As Moya comes from a Gaeltacht area and is well into the Irish language for herself, I think it would be great to honour the Irish language by an own category.
We could discuss topics related to Moya's songs sung in Irish, to Irish speakers around the world and related to the status of the Irish language in Ireland. We could exchange news and views about it. So it is meant to be a category ABOUT the Irish Language, open for everybody!

What do you think?
Last edited by an file on Thu May 26, 2005 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"An áit a bhfuil do chroí is ann a thabharfas do chósa thú."

"Your feet will bring you to the place where your heart is."
an file
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Thu May 26, 2005 4:49 pm

It's a good idea, but I feel it will seperate members who post in gaelic too much...why not just start a thread in gaelic instead? Then you'll also get the same ppl to read it.

Also, I feel it is unnecessary and unfair towards those who cannot read or speak gaelic. I for one do not understand the language (yet) and I often feel a bit put off by all the gaelic posts some ppl make during a thread.

I mean, it's not open to EVERYONE to learn gaelic just like that you know. It would be nice if ppl who post in gaelic translated it so others can also read it.

Now, in a single post there would be no such need as only the ppl posting and reading in gaelic would be able to understand the matter discussed.

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby an file » Thu May 26, 2005 4:52 pm

Dear Phantas,

of course, I meant that everyone should be posting in English that even those who cannot speak Irish can take part and say what they heard or think! It's not meant to exclude anybody!!! :)

an file
Enthusiastic Member

Postby mise » Thu May 26, 2005 5:02 pm

I don't really think we need a new catagory. I think Phantas is right about the danger that it would be all Irish, there are always people who don't bother to translate. If it were a forum for Gaeilge it would be a different matter, but this is about Moya's music and if Gaeilge questions are related there are plenty of catagories under which you can post a thread.
If you search a bit you might find a thread or two out there already! :wink:
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Angoid » Thu May 26, 2005 5:17 pm

There are forums already out there for learning Gaelic, and for picking up some useful tips and tricks pertaining to the language.

Just a quick Google search reveals irishgaelictranslator.com, where they have a translation forum.

Also, I discovered ErinsWeb Gaelic recently, which offers a web-based course in the language (128 short lessons) as well as a discussion forum.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby an file » Thu May 26, 2005 6:31 pm

It was not my point to learn Irish by creating this new category nor to write posts in Irish. :oops: I wanted the Irish language songs of Moya to be discussed in their mythical background and I wanted to give everyone a place to tell us about his/her own experiences with or news of the Irish language. :wink: I thought it would honour Moya's Irish background. :wink:

an file
Enthusiastic Member

Postby mise » Thu May 26, 2005 7:09 pm

I figured this was what you meant. I think you could well post that thread under leo's tavern. It ll be lovely to discuss the area!
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby an file » Fri May 27, 2005 10:33 am

Céart go leor, tusa! I will do so! Just wanted to hear what you think! :) It's always good to hear some supporting or different opinions! :wink:

an file
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Beth » Fri May 27, 2005 5:23 pm

I like the idea. I think it would be a good place that those of us that are in the process of learning Gaelic (like me LOL) could get a bit of help, with sentence structure for example. But it should mostly be in English that way everyone can get involved
Beth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Roibeard Óg » Fri May 27, 2005 8:10 pm

I think 'Yes!'. It won't isolate members. It means people can start a few threads on that category writing in Gaelic and other threads can be on General Gaelic discussion. Isolation is not a problem to be honest! PLUS - It helps people who are learning/trying to learn Gaelic. It's a brilliant idea.

It was not my point to learn Irish by creating this new category nor to write posts in Irish. icon_redface.gif I wanted the Irish language songs of Moya to be discussed in their mythical background and I wanted to give everyone a place to tell us about his/her own experiences with or news of the Irish language. icon_wink.gif I thought it would honour Moya's Irish background. icon_wink.gif

And the idea above is very good as well. We could talk about all these matters, and it would make us feel more comfortable about which category we should put these threads.

There are forums already out there for learning Gaelic, and for picking up some useful tips and tricks pertaining to the language.

Just a quick Google search reveals irishgaelictranslator.com, where they have a translation forum.

Also, I discovered ErinsWeb Gaelic recently, which offers a web-based course in the language (128 short lessons) as well as a discussion forum.

We know of this, but would like to introduce it the the community of Máire's forum. It's just Gaelic discussion we'd like to share with the forum.
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby an file » Sat May 28, 2005 5:05 pm

I'm glad that you support the idea I had about a category in/about Irish. We could dicuss Moya's success with songs sung in Irish and we could help to keep an Irish Language discussion alive. AND I also think that isolation wouldn't be a problem as all the members in this forum are quite communicative and would safe each other from isolating themselves. :wink:

an file
Enthusiastic Member

Cad e mar ata tu?

Postby moon » Sat May 28, 2005 6:54 pm

I just want to say Cad e mar ata tu? Go Brea. :D
Follow The Word...
Follow The Hope...
Follow The Dream..
Willing to meet,
Wlling to go,