Maire
21%
Clannad
79%

Total votes : 87

Who did you hear of first?

Postby nessieq » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:58 pm

hey all,
i was just wondering, which of Clannad, Enya and Maire did you hear of first? this may only count for the younger members of the forum, because the older ones may have followed the career of clannad long before Maire or Enya had solo careers, but still, i'm interested.
thanks,
nessieq.
nessieq

Postby Ageless Messanger » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:17 pm

I have heard of Enya first. Also, if you wanted a choice, to vote from, with Enya, you hadn't added Enya to the list. You only have Maire and Clannad.

Sorry if I sounded rude or harsh by saying that, but really wasn't trying to. Just thought I would point it out to ya. :)

A.M.
Believe me
I'm not afraid
Teach me
To learn Your ways
Carry me
Under Your wings
In Your perfect time-Maire Brennan
Ageless Messanger
Enthusiastic Member

Location: Feeling 22, Acting 17, This is the craziest I have ever been

Which was first...

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:27 am

For me, Enya was first, too, then I found Clannad and then Máire's solo albums...

(Suvi)
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:21 am

And I must be the weirdest: Found out about Clannad first ,then Enya, and only then did I realize Moya made solo albums :D

love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Daragh » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:15 pm

I heard of Clannad first, Enya second and Moya's solo work last. I don't think this is bad because Clannad were at their peak when I started listening to music and Enya's solo career emerged before Moya's did so this progression seems to work well as the history has unfolded.

An interesting comparison maybe to look at what Moya was like in the Clannad days and how her music has evolved. Has she changed much in style? I think the albums have changed but the live act has a real Clannad feel to it. Any thoughts or is this getting off the point?

Happy New Year to everyone

Daragh
Daragh

Re: Who did you hear of first?

Postby wonky_eggs » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:06 pm

I heard Enya first back in 1988, became a fan in 1995. Then I was introduced by a friend to Clannad around the time of their Lore tour in 1996 (missed that :( ), and after being hooked found Máire's first two albums in 1997 and bought those too.

Now I have all of their albums, loads of singles and Brídín's solo single too.

Barry.
wonky_eggs

Postby gregoing » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:50 pm

Hi, everyone. I had known of Enya for a few years prior to listening to the Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack, but hadn't listened to any of her music before then. I liked her songs on that CD so much that I looked her up more info about her and her music. It was then that a friend of mine told me of Moya, so I got her solo CDs. But I found out about Clannad very shortly after finding out about Moya.

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby nessieq » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:20 pm

hey everyone,
thanks for all your feed back, and i'm aware of the fact that i didn't put enya on the vote, but for some reason, it didn't work... and i thought it would confuse people if i did the vote again! :oops: sorry! you can just tell me by puttin a post on instead of a vote.
as for me, one of my earliest memories as a child was hearing enya's boadicea, and i've been hooked ever since i bought my first ever cd player and got interested in music. later i found out that my dad was a huge fan of clannad and he went to see them in the ulster hall, a great surprise for me as i've played on that same stage 15 times! every time i stand up there i think, wow, clannad and moya have stood here and done this and now i'm doing the same... there's hope for me yet....ANYWAY after that i found out about clannad and then that moya/maire had a solo career and i'm hooked on her as well!
sorry again and keep that info coming in! thanks! :D
nessieq.
nessieq

Postby Bal Winton » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:58 pm

Enya first, then i believe it was a hazy mix between the other two... mainly it relies on the order you told me about 'em. :-p

Ya never told me Big Scary Campbell daddy went to see 'em... i'd have thought you'd have bragged about it for forever. :wink:
Bal Winton

Postby Chroí » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:51 am

Hi everyone !

I heard Enya first and then Maire (Perfect Time). At that time, I was involved with and inner spiritual crisis, religion vs. spirituality, doubts about God's love for each of us. The lyrics, and above all, her music that goes beyond any words, gave me crucial answers. Whisper to the Wild Water brought me other spiritual hints, and partly, the healing of my soul. Then, later, when I listened again to Enya's music (for I have the whole full five CDs), Moya's sister inspiration looked different to my ears, and to my creed too. I never liked Clannad fully, being bored with rock music too agressive yet genuine, authentic, for my own sensibility, that is more Enyaish or Moyaish !

Chroi
A Thiarna Dé, Bhi tart ar mo chroí, rinne tu ur mé. O Lord God, my heart was thirsty, You made me new.
Chroí

Postby nessieq » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:14 pm

firstly, can i appologise for my friend alex aka "bal wniton" , i shouldn't have introduced him to the forum because he knows nothing about moya brennan, i didn't expect him to join it! :oops:

i too expierienced something deeply moving about moyas music and, thanks to her, i have rediscovered my faith and have made it my new years resolution to go to church EVERY sunday, lol. so cheers, moya, for helping me rediscover something that was always in me,i just needed to find it. you gave me a push in the right direction and have helped me change my life.
nessieq.
nessieq

Postby Nigel » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:15 pm

Enya first, then Moya,Then Clannad.
Nigel
Addicted to Moya

Postby BB » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:07 pm

Clannad way back in Magical Ring / Robin of Sherwood era. (giving away my age there!) Then Enya from Fuaim and the BBC programme The Celts and then of course Maire. But Maire was doing duets without Clannad before going totally solo - Blue with An Emotional Fish springs to mind from
1991-ish.

BB
BB

Postby mise » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:39 pm

So what about all those who recently joined us? Who did you hear first?
For me it was Clannad and I had to say that when Máire went solo for the first time I wasn't so sure. I mean I liked her voice, but I wasn't sure if she could be a match for the family band. Well she has certainly proofed she IS a match. There are many of her songs I have come to love and I am glad she took her chance! She has grown immensely in her writing and music and I hope it gave her as much satisfaction as it has given me to see her grow!
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby AndyPandy » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:48 pm

I heard of Enya a long long time ago when my dad had the Watermark tape. Then Clannad, then realised Maire was a member of Clannad. Then realised that saltwater (chicane) featured Maire's voice sampled from "Harry's game" thats how I got into the whole Maire/Clannad thing.
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to General