The Irish Language - Dead or Alive?

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Is the Irish language Dying? - An bhfuil an Ghaeilge a' básadh?

Yes! - Tá!
30%
No! - Níl!
70%

Total votes : 50

Postby nessieq » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:58 pm

here's another point; i think a lot more people would be interested in seaking irish, if only it were offered in more places. whatta you guys think? would u go learn irish if it were offered somewhere localy eg. schools, night classes etc?
i sure would, but i just don't have the time.
nq.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

yep

Postby Roibeard Óg » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:01 pm

Even I speak Irish and I go to classes. If there where nightclasses or even a class in school it would be easier to learn as you are speaking and learning is socially...good point Nessieq
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

language

Postby Ahrod B. » Sat May 07, 2005 11:45 pm

Irish language will never die.

Part of my family are irish and they also keep the family tradition to teach the kids their langugae before they start learning english.

It is a very priceless legacy.

Slán,

Ahrod B.
Na laetha geal m'oige...
Ahrod B.

Postby Roibeard Óg » Wed May 11, 2005 1:06 pm

Nice to seer topics revivied :lol: , yea, I agree, Gaelic will never die, but even so, there are not enough places to learn it apart from Blas! on BBC.
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby an file » Wed May 11, 2005 6:11 pm

Dia duit, a Roibeard Óg,

is mise as an Ghearmáin agus tá cuid mhaith Gaeilge foghlamtha agam féin... The Turas Teanga thing from RTÉ was a good thing which helped me a lot after having done kind of a correspondance school in Irish. But in fact it's quite hard to keep in contact with Irish, living here in Germany. Ach tá an teanga sin go hiontach!! And I pray it will never die!

Slán go fóillín
"An áit a bhfuil do chroí is ann a thabharfas do chósa thú."

"Your feet will bring you to the place where your heart is."
an file
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Keara » Wed May 11, 2005 11:32 pm

Tha ùidh agam ann!

It's funny. From what I know, I don't have an Irish bone in my body. But from what people tell me, I have the soul of one! I've been in love with the Irish from a very young age, and have always kept the music by my side.
When I chanced upon the name 'Enya', on the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, I had no idea what I was in for. I listened to 'Aníron' so many times that night, that by morning, I knew the words. When I learned she was Irish, I was overjoyed.
And When I finally heard 'Deora Ar Mo Chroí' for the first time, I sang it almost 'til the CD broke! :lol:
I only started 'really' trying to learn Gaelic a few months ago, and i hope to make it a third language.
Yes, the language is still alive, and it should be spoken more openly! It will never die! We will not let it, will we!

Beannachd leibh chugaibh!
Keara
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sat May 14, 2005 3:48 pm

an file wrote:Dia duit, a Roibeard Óg,

is mise as an Ghearmáin agus tá cuid mhaith Gaeilge foghlamtha agam féin... The Turas Teanga thing from RTÉ was a good thing which helped me a lot after having done kind of a correspondance school in Irish. But in fact it's quite hard to keep in contact with Irish, living here in Germany. Ach tá an teanga sin go hiontach!! And I pray it will never die!

Slán go fóillín

I agree - thakfully, I think it's unlikley. I was at the Oireachtas this week, and looking at how people spoke Irish I don't think it'll ever die. Yea, 'Turas Teanga' is brilliant. We watch it in our Irish class every Thursday. :lol:
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby an file » Sat May 14, 2005 5:54 pm

I'm glad to hear that!!! :D You know, last week I met a girl saying: "Well, if the Irish language was dying out, who would care? That's just fine." Can you imagine how hardly I was struck by this. I mean, apart from my being a student of linguistics, I feel that every language is part of our culture and the loss of a language means the decrease of cultural identity for everyone of us. :cry: Just have a look on what get lost with the dying of Manx and Cornish... I think I can never forgive the girl saying sth like that :|

By the way: What do you think about the presenter of Turas teanga, isn't she really beautiful? :oops: :mrgreen:

an file
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sat May 14, 2005 6:43 pm

Lol, she's a News presenter on RTÉ as well. She's a friend of my dad's. Her name is Sharon Ní Bheoláin. Click for the turas teanga website!
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby an file » Sat May 14, 2005 7:14 pm

Wow, a friend of your dad's! That's just great! :D I knew her name, as I have the tt dvd, cd's and the book here with me. And I saw her presenting the RTÉ 8 o'clock news when I've been to Éire last summer... :wink:

Maybe your dad could forward some greetings from a learner of Irish from Germany?! :oops: :) She's really great and I really like her. :oops:

an file
Enthusiastic Member

Dream

Postby Balor » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:56 am

I once had a very unusual dream where the UFO aliens finally came forward and made open contact with humans. Trouble was, was that the language they spoke was an archaic form of Irish. The only people in the world that had a prayer of communicating with them were native speakers of Irish.

Overnight the language of science became Irish and crash courses were taking place everywhere because everyone wanted to be able to understand the aliens' technology.

Soon, even international trade was being conducted in Irish. People always commented that it was a very good thing that Irish survived as a language after nearly dying out.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Angoid » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:06 am

I just mistakenly cast a Yes vote as I misread the question :( I meant No.

It's recently been declared an official language of the EU, so it's a recognised European language. That's why I meant No :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Maya85 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:09 pm

I hope that Gaelic will never die! it´s great language that I listen to with love and interest (only listen) I am not able to speak :oops: . I love the gaekic songs. And I also think that for irish people it´s very important to keep it alive.
Maya85
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:04 pm

Dia Daoibh!

I'm so happy that it's bcome and official language. There will be a lot more Gaelic signs in the North too, in quite a lot of places. I think it's the start of something brilliant.

Oh, and Balor - love the avatar, it goes with the name lol. :D
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby wonky_eggs » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:31 am

Roibeard Óg wrote:There will be a lot more Gaelic signs in the North too, in quite a lot of places. I think it's the start of something brilliant.

Ooh! That's good news! One thing I found quite annoying and quite sad was the lack of Gaelic signs in N.Ireland. When going from Beal Feirste to Gaoth Dobhair I did my best to navigate in Gaelic, but until you hit the border it's quite hard as the majority of the signs were in English - the only thing I had to entertain me was that 'London' had been spray-painted out of 'Londonderry' by the locals - too right!
wonky_eggs

PreviousNext

Return to General