Let's organise a meeting!

Have you been there? Are you going? Share your experience

Moderators: gregoing, mise, Grania, All Moderators

When would you like the gathering to take place?

July
24%
August
40%
Either July or August
36%

Total votes : 25

Postby Angoid » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:07 pm

OK folks, I've sussed this one out now. It was quite tricky to work out but here is how it works.

First, a demonstration as to the effect we're trying to achieve here. Go to my test area here and note that it has two test categories, each with one test forum in it.

Now log in as testMoya using the same as the password (case-sensitive - the capital M is significant!) and note that two new forums appear: one called Moya Test and the other called Gweedore Gathering.

Log out. Log in again as testMTF with the same as the password (again, case-sensitive). This time, in addition to the test forums, you see one called MTF Test and neither of the Moya forums are displayed.

Now the rest of this is for Admin: it'll make pretty much no sense to anyone else here at all!! The idea here is to set up one new forum that is available to the 'gweedore' group only.

Firstly, you need to create the forum.
  • On the left-hand menu, under Forum Admin, click on Management
  • You'll get a list of all the categories and forums, together with options to create a new forum under any existing cateogry or create a new category.
  • In the first section, Moya's Forum, enter what you want this forum to be called (for example, Gweedore Gathering) and then click on Create new forum.
  • On the next screen, enter a text description that you want to appear beneath the forum name. Leave all other options as they are for now (i.e. leave unlocked and don't set it to autoprune).
  • Make sure it says Moya's Forum in the Category; change it if it is something other than this.
  • When done, click on Create New Forum.
  • You should then get an Information box advising you that the forum has been created.
At this stage, the new forum is accessible to everyone - registered and unreigstered. The next stage is to make it accessible only to people in the Gweedore group. Here's how to do this:
  • On the admin panel, under Forum Admin, click on Permissions.
  • On the Forum Permissions Control screen, select the Gweedore Gathering forum from the drop-down and click on Look up Forum.
  • Leave it in 'simple mode' and change the access rights to Private [Hidden].
  • Click on Submit.
  • You'll get an information box advising that the permssions have been updated.
At this stage got the exact opposite problem! The new forum is now accessible to nobody except you as the Administrator!
Now we need to make the 'gweedore' group see that forum, and the 'gweedore' group only. Here's how to do this:
  • Click on Permissions under Group Admin in the left-hand pane.
  • On the Select a Group screen, select 'gweedore' (will probably be already selected as this is the only group there is) and click on Look up Group.
  • On the next screen you should get a table of forums, and against them whether this group is allowed access or is allowed to moderate the forums.
    There should be drop-downs against the newly-created Gweedore Gathering forum under 'Simple Permissions' and 'Moderator Status'.
  • Change the permission under Simple Permissions from Disallowed Access to Allowed Access. Leave the Moderator status as 'Not Moderator'.
  • Click on Submit.
  • You'll get an information box advising that the permissins have been altered.
If all has gone well, you now need to test it:
  • Click on Forum Index under the main Administration heading in the admin panel to the left.
  • You'll get the forum index back, looking like what you'd see as a normal user.
  • Log out.
  • When the forum index reappears, you should not see a forum called Gweedore Gathering at the end of the Moya's Forum forums.
  • Log in as a non-member of the Gweedore group. Again, you should not see the new forum.
  • Log out and back in as a member of the Gweedore group. You should be able to see and access the new forum this time.
(You may need to create a test user or two for this and then delete them afterwards.)

Let me know how it goes!!
If this doesn't work or you run into difficulties then you may use the 'Gweedore Gathering' at my test forum. But if this is used, please bear in mind the following:
  • It's a test area for some forum ideas I have. Although it won't just disappear or stop working, it probably won't be there permanently. This is why there are no real members there, just me, myself, and I.
  • Let me know before anyone starts putting details in there and I'll delete the test user, or deny it access to that forum.
  • Obviouly I'd want people to register there using the same usernames as here. You'll also need to 'ask' for permission to join the group, but we'll cross that bridge if we go this way. Don't worry about using the same passwords: they are stored securely away such that even I could not get to them (using a technique called 'one-way encryption').
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby mise » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:42 pm

:D You are such a great help Angoid! Hopefully admin will be able to fix this. Your explanation seems very clear to me. Thanks for sussing that out.
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby nessieq » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:11 pm

Aw, Angoid, you're so great! It must have taken you aaaaaages to sort all that out, even with you gob smaking computer knowledge, so I think we all owe you a hug.

((((((((((((((((((((((Angoid)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

How could admin possibly go wrong now?
:lol: ness.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Angoid » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:23 pm

{{{{{Nessie}}}}}
:D

Don't know if you went to my test area - @ngoid's @bode - got to love it, no :mrgreen:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:23 pm

Angoid, thanks for the info.
I set upthe group the other day meaning to create a private forum but haven't had the time till now.
I will create a Gweedore Gathering forum which should be up and running by tomorrow.
admin

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:40 pm

Done.
There's now a new forum for those going to Gweedore. If I missed including anyone in the group or there are those who sunsequntly decide to go please shout!
What will probably happen (I guess) is that most postings that would be in this topic will now switch to the private forum. Maybe, maybe not but we should keep an eye out here.
admin

Postby mise » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:49 am

:D If you decide you want to come along after all, you'd be more than welcome. We are just about to get to know each other a little better and you surely wont be left out. We will keep you posted here now and again to keep you up to date. And if you need any help sorting anything out, we are all more than willing to help! :wink:
mise

Postby mise » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:22 pm

Thanks again to Angoid!!! He is working so hard to get us sorted on the forum.
If you wish to join our Gweedore gathering, this is what you should do.

Click on the Usergroups link beneath the header banner.

From the dropdown, ensure gweedore is selected (it should be as it's the only usergroup there) and click on View Information.

You will then get a chart showing who is in the group, with the following line in the heading:

Group membership: This is an open group: click to request membership: Join Group

After clicking that, you will be advised that their request is pending approval. If approved you will then receive an automatic e-mail advising whether you're 'in' or not
mise

Postby richard » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:17 pm

those of u who have mobile phones should xchange numbers before the trip so we can find where the other is, i shall buy a mobile phone before the trip.
Richard.
richard
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sun May 01, 2005 12:13 pm

We should post our numbers on the 'Gweedore Gathering' forum for security so that only the members subscribed to that forum will be able to view them (and to keep them out of the public domain).
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sun May 01, 2005 2:05 pm

Well said Roibeard!

That's exactly why I came up with the idea in the first place, so maybe if personal information such as phone numbers are to be shared, we have a safe place to do so.

Anything else on this forum is Googleable but anything in a hidden forum isn't.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby richard » Tue May 03, 2005 3:06 pm

OR WE JUST PM OUR MOBILE NUMBERS TO EACH OTHER.
Richard.
richard

Postby lizzy1e » Tue May 03, 2005 6:18 pm

Wouldn't help me pming that to anyone as it isn't valid once I leave the country and will only get a new one if I can pick up a cheap sim card in Ireland. No point in worrying about that now anyway - why not worry about such things nearer to the actual trip.
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby richard » Tue May 03, 2005 6:45 pm

LIZZY CAN PM HER NEW NUMBER ONCE SHE GETS TO IRELAND.
Richard.
richard

Postby lizzy1e » Tue May 03, 2005 6:59 pm

Afraid that's not likely unless I have internet access. So I'll probably just have to get the contact info for once I'm there from you guys. Doesn't matter though, this is something that should only be thought of in July anyway. Let's carry on the discussion in the appropriate forum. :o
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Leos Tavern