Yes
5%
No
95%

Total votes : 76

should i buy this book?

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:17 pm

hey all.
i've been reading your messages about Moyas book and i've been meaning to read it, but i'm not sure if i should. i'm 15 on december twelth and by the sounds of things, this is a pretty heavy book, but i'm a devoted moya fan and i wreckon i could handle it. whatta you think? advice much apprechiated.
nessieq. :lol:

Postby gregoing » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:21 pm

Hi, nessieq. I'm actually 17 myself. The beginning of the book is actually pretty good for any aged reader, but it's later on in the book when things get "heavier." If I remember correctly, it was about one-quarter through the book when I read the first "heavy" part, which actually tells how they had one young priest or monk come into the convent to speak, so young Moya and her friends had a few laughs at his illuatrations on the chalkboard. Forgive me if I'm wrong - I only read the book once. But yes, there's a short break after that one part of the book, then the "heavy" parts start again. The last approx. three-quarters of the book is where you start reading all these disturbing things that happen.

In the end, I think you would probably be fine reading it. Personally, this is one book that I would LOVE for my pre-teens to read, if I had any. I think this would be a great book for people to read at a young age (not before 12-14, I would guess, depending on the maturity of the young person), as it really heightens their awareness of these things that are written. And it's presented in such a way that you won't even want to put it down. Seriously, I had a hard time literally setting it down and letting it go from the safe grip of my hand. I would recommend this book to anyone, and you're no exception.

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:29 am

Nessie,

I have read it and I see no problem for you because of your age.

Postby Opera Ghost » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:52 am

I am pondering shuld I become good friends with Homie too? Well lets forget the myth of evil french and bad brittish, so... I think it is time me to get well along with m. Homer and maybe I get a book too? (JK)

Now, I havent read it, as I do not have the book, but I would read it, when find it somewhere.

OG
Opera Ghost

Postby nessieq » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:21 pm

thanks for your advice, i bought the book and i' on chapter two. already i'm hooked, moya's a really good writer. on to another topic completely, i've been a member of this forum for a few months now and i keep getting put on as "visitor" why is this? how con i change it? HELP!
nessieq :?
nessieq

Postby nessieq » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:23 pm

hey, wait ia minute, now it's decided to show me as nessieq! i'm so confused. argh. :?
nessieq

Postby Eve » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:10 pm

The Other Side Of The Rainbow is an excellent book filled with Moya`s honesty, pain, and her strong and abiding faith. It shows that even through the darkest hours of pain, and loss of direction God is there and when found transforms a persons life. To find Jesus and to find God is a quest that most of us find when we are at our lowest ebbs of life, religion being something that we often do by a lip service and ritual. A deep committment is born of suffering and the joy of salvation through that despair is wonderful. I know because I too found it through a black hole and trauma in my own life. God bless you Moya and may you always walk in the narrow way with Jesus.
Eve in Chelmsford
Eve

Postby mise » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:30 pm

I think Máire has found the right balance between the good and the bad things in her life. By sharing both she has created an honest and recognisable story of her life. She has probably shocked a good few people by telling her story so publicly, but I think it has also given many people courage and insight in to their own lifes.

I see her book as a very special gift of hope and inspiration. For that reason alone I think she has not shared too much.
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby richard » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:49 pm

i don't think moya share too much in the book. the sex, drugs, booze and sleeping around is something i have done. but it is all down to a lack of self worth. and if reading the book shows people another way to live there life then great.
Richard.
richard
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby the whistleplayer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:06 pm

The other side of the rainbow is a very open and honest book, I think. Actually, it didn't shock me or anything (I don't get shocked easily :mrgreen: ), it just made me feel very sympathetic towards Moya, even though I don't really know her because we've never met. :)
It's been a few years since I read it, but the thing that stayed with me most was the part about the recording of Macalla. I'd always thought that (Almost seems) too late to turn was sung with a lot of emotion, and by reading TOSOTR I finally knew why. I still think it's a beautiful song.
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby thehag » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:15 pm

Just loved this book. Reading it for the second time. Usually when I read autobiographies, I don't like them as well as biographies because the author seems to sugar coat his/her own life and put the blame on others.
It was great having Moya look at her life objectively.

Sure hope there will be a book II.
thehag

Postby Grania » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:40 pm

thehag wrote:

moya wrote:Moe wrote:
Do you think you will ever write another book?

Moe,
In short, NO. The other one took a lot out of me... but you can never say never!

I'm afraid that seems to answer that one! :( :)
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Ardens » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:27 pm

Grania wrote:
thehag wrote:

moya wrote:Moe wrote:
Do you think you will ever write another book?

Moe,
In short, NO. The other one took a lot out of me... but you can never say never!

I'm afraid that seems to answer that one! :( :)

Do you think she regrets her biography? Maybe. She shared a lot of personal experiences with readers she doesn't know and I can imagine that it's sometimes not an easy feeling. On the other hand, she helped a lot of people, so writing this book was surely not a mistake.

Moya could write another book, but a completely different one. If she decided to stop making music one day, she could write a children's book or a novel. Maybe about Ireland or about music.

I like her style of writing very much. She isn't one of these 'classical' authors whose books are all the same, but the way she writes is something very special. She's very talented in reaching people with her words, I think. She is honest and she doesn't play the 'I-hide-the-message-so-well-that-the-readers-don't-get-it'-game. :)
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby thehag » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:53 pm

Maybe right now or at the time of the answer she did not think she could do it again. But it would continue from the point of the last book and talk about the next generation. Do all the grandchildren like and play music?
Does her faith continue and grow?
There is a lot more to the story.
thehag

Postby hermeyjdi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:07 am

I don't think she shared too much. We live in a world where everyone puts up masks to hide behind. No one is real anymore and it is such a breath of fresh air to read her book. I totally respect her honesty. It shows us that she is human also ya know?? It really encouraged me in my mission to be real and honest with those around me. Thanks Moya!! :D
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to The Other Side of the Rainbow