Canvas - My impressions after the very first listening

A friendly place to discuss Moya's 2017 studio album

Moderator: All Moderators

Canvas - My impressions after the very first listening

Postby dids » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:22 pm

hello,

before I give my impressions, I would like to say that I am not very good in reviewing an album... I am just giving impressions on what I felt with the very first listening... It is not always easy to put words on what you feel... :oops:

So! Here is a new trip to which Moya invites us with her painted sound landscapes... While sounding all new and fresh, we immediately recognize Moya's own style, inherited from her previous Signature album and Voices&Harps works, with her own way to touch your soul...

I felt like a gentle and constant mood through the songs... However, each time I let myself being carried out with this mood, suddenly a new song arrived and swept me away to a new direction... :)
The songs sounded soft to me, I mean, none tries to make too much... And they are all perfectly linked together...

'Exalting' is the first word that came to my mind as soon as the first notes sounded... Wow! Glad to hear Moya again! :D

I will need to listen to the album again and again to refine my comments but I can already say that we have another nice album here! New album, new music, something like a new style, but still Moya! :D

PS: forgive me for syntax errors if there are some, I do not master english language yet! :mrgreen:
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Re: Canvas - My impressions after the very first listening

Postby dids » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:20 am

I'm refining my comments... Maybe I will change many things I said before, after listening and listening again... :lol:

I said 'something like a new style' in my first 'hot reactions' post, but after a second hearing the album sometimes reminded me the first albums, for example with the song 'You nerver know'... Maybe I did not listen 'Maire', 'Misty Eyed Adventures' and 'Perfect Time' enough... :mrgreen:
It is not a copy of these albums, of course, but I feel that it is more "inspired" (I do not find any other word to qualify it) by the first albums than with 'Two Horizons'...

I may be wrong compared to what many could expect with this new album but... Even after having listened to it only twice, I think I can already say it is an unmissable album for the fans we are, IMHO...

Will come back later to give more thoughts and refine my comments.

Has anyone received and listened to it already?
Last edited by dids on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids

Postby Angoid » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:41 am

I haven't got the album (yet) but just to say thanks for your comments on it.

Sometimes I find that I listen to a new album, and tracks I immediately like I end up going off while other tracks take time to grow on me.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby dids » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:18 am

Angoid wrote:I haven't got the album (yet) but just to say thanks for your comments on it.

you're welcome :wink:

Angoid wrote:Sometimes I find that I listen to a new album, and tracks I immediately like I end up going off while other tracks take time to grow on me.

I personaly listen many times the album and the songs I like stays in my mind while I am not playing the CD...
dids

Postby Angoid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:21 am

I can typically tell which songs I'm going to like ... if one comes on and I end up having to skip it halfway through, I know I'm never going to like it.
I find that the songs that last the longest with me are those ones which I find OK on first / second hearing, and then they grow on me. Typically I end up liking those more than the songs that have immediate appeal.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Cescokid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:58 pm

To me,
this is one of Moya's top albums - probably her best after Two Horizons.
How full of emotion, passion and experience it is!

Congratulations, Moya & band! a worthwhile 8th album, just like Enya's Dark Sky Island. (=

<3!
Cescokid

Postby dids » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:42 am

Cescokid wrote:To me,
this is one of Moya's top albums - probably her best after Two Horizons.

Canvas is indeed a good one... However, I do like Two Horizons and Signature so Canvas would be in the top 3 for me...

Cescokid wrote:How full of emotion, passion and experience it is!

Sure! I always want to do again and again the emotional travel the album invites us to... :D

Cescokid wrote:a worthwhile 8th album

just like the others!!! :D :D
dids

Postby Yvonne » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the album, Dids. I had a severe cold and hadn't been able to listen to this wonderful album enough to post a detailed review. But now I have and I truly love it. Yes, it could even become my favourite Moya album! My favourite song of the album is is: Where we once met, I am so in love with that song! :D

I will post a review soon!

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby dids » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Yvonne wrote:Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the album, Dids.

you're welcome :)

Yvonne wrote:My favourite song of the album is is: Where we once met, I am so in love with that song! :D

Mine for now is 'River of Songs' :D
dids

Postby Yvonne » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Yes, River of Songs is also very beautiful! :D

Here is my review of Canvas

I have been a fan of Moya/ Clannad for almost 30 years and I have to admit I was a bit worried that this album would not really be my taste. I had read an interview with Moya saying that the album would contain less harp, less beautiful harmonies and more modern influences. May be I am old fashioned but for me a Moya album can't have enough harp and beautiful harmonies :D and well usually I am not such a fan of more modern inluences :mrgreen: . So I was a bit surprised (very pleasantly!) when I first listened to Canvas. Lots of lovely harp sounds and also quite a few beautiful harmonies. I love the new album very much, amazing how Moya can still sound fresh and innovative yet still keeping her own style. Also, her voice sounds very beautiful!

The opening track is a lovely song in memory of her father, not a heavy very sad song but a peaceful song about missing him yet still feeling his presence. Lovely song, the chorus gets stuck in your head!
A Potrait of my life, Going Home and Where you belong are the "grow" songs for me. They didn't stand out to me at the first few listens but I do like them now. All a bit slow contemplative songs, Going home a bit more up tempo than the other 2 with a catchy chorus.

Nuair A Bhi Muid Óg has a lovely rhythm, the harp is lovely in this one as well! This is probably one of the modern influences Moya talked about. Also a favourite!

Children of War is probably the heaviest song on the album. Beautiful but because of its sadness I don't listen to this one very often. I do voluntary work with refugee children at school so it touches me on a personal level.

And here it is: my absolute favourite :D . Where we once met. It has been a long time since I was so impressed with a new song. I can imagine Enya singing something like this. The harp is wonderful and the vocals are hauntingly beautiful. My only regret is that it is much too short. This one should really have been a lot longer!

Don phaiste Og is also a favourite. This song could have been on Whisper to the Wild Water, it is a bit in that style. Great and catchy!

You never know is the catchiest song of the album I think and well, yes, another favourite :mrgreen: . The beginning reminds me a bit of the song "Somewhere in Between' by Kate Bush. Try not to sing along with this chorus! A bit of a new style for Moya. I love it, but also a bit short and the ending is a bit abrupt. I have gotten used to it now but I expected it to go on and then it suddenly ends. A bit frustrating, I do like the ending now that I am used to it, but it is still too soon! Apart from that: fantastic song!

The Duel is a bit different from the rest of the album and I believe the only one she wrote together with her husband. This sounds like a soundtrack song. Very dark and ominous. It reminds me a bit of Setanta and Tell me Now (what you see). A bit that mysterious atmosphere. The vocals and harp are amazing. I love the melody, the lyrics are bit dark for me though. I hardly dare say it but this is also a favourite :mrgreen: . Very impressive and powerful song!

And the perfect ending to this wonderful album is the very beautiful harp song Banrion. So happy that Canvas has a harp song (Signature didn't have one unfortunately) and a very beautiful one too! Might be my all time favourite Moya harp song, very beautiful melody !

So, all in all, I think this may become my favourite Moya album. It is early days but for me there are no weak songs and some incredibly strong songs. Moya has managed to amaze me again, I am really in love with this album! The artwork is also lovely. Warm soft colours, lovely paintings by Moya herself, a bit of a pity that not all the lyrics are in the booklet!

I don't know if Moya still visits this forum but just in case: Thank you Moya for this wonderful new album!

Well, I am going to stop now, it has become a bit long :mrgreen: ! I am looking forward to reading more reviews :). What do you all think? I am sorry that it is so difficult to get a physical copy but fortunately it is available at Beo Records so I hope more people here have it!

Love,

Yvonne
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby dids » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:19 pm

thanks for this Yvonne. you gave better review than me but most important is, in your comment, that Moya is back! :D
Could not have wait for a better album after these long years since Signature... until the next one! :mrgreen:
dids

Postby Yvonne » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:58 am

dids wrote:thanks for this Yvonne. you gave better review than me but most important is, in your comment, that Moya is back! :D
Could not have wait for a better album after these long years since Signature... until the next one! :mrgreen:

Well, I am not sure my review is better, it is just longer :mrgreen: . Yes I am also very happy that Moya is back! :D

Love,

Yvonne
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Sat May 06, 2017 3:32 pm

I finally bought the album online and received it today... am listening to it right now so review will follow but can already say this is one of Moya's best albums. It's haunting, soothing, gorgeous.... very diverse too. <3
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Yvonne » Sun May 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi Phantas,

I am looking forward very much to your review :D !

I still love the album very much and I agree, I believe this is one of Moya's best albums, also after many listens!

Love,

Yvonne
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Mon May 08, 2017 6:37 pm

I can't post a full review yet, but I do know that "Where We Once Met" is probably already my favourite song. I could see Moya entering Eurovision with something like this. It's catchy, moving, deep and modern at the same time. [Seeing Ireland's track record at Eurovision lately, it wouldn't even be a bad idea!!!]
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Canvas