First album from Aisling Jarvis

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

First album from Aisling Jarvis

Postby dids » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:50 pm

hello,

I received a couple of weeks ago the first album from Moya’s daughter ‘A handful of bad ideas’. I have listened to it several times and I love it more and more! :D
This album is made of 11 songs where Aisling offers her talent in combining good musical ideas, good compositions, good sound... and her voice which gave me the impression, at the very first time I heard it, that she already has a long singing career behind her.
The mood of the 5 first songs sounded a bit similar to me, but each other songs gives me the opportunity to make other kinds of ‘travels’ through feelings and imagination...
The kids we used to be’ is for me the most joyful song of the album, while the last 5 songs sound very different between them and compared to the 6 first ones, and continue to demonstrate the talent that Aisling is able to in composing songs.
I’m all about experiments, me’ and especially ‘Wyoming’ are for me potential great hits and are my favorites. :D

In conclusion, I would say that she sounds very professional; it is a normal thing, you would say, as she already has accompanied her mother on stage and acquired experience… :wink: :lol:
But apart from that, I feel with this album that she has the potential of a great career and I hope she will have the success she is looking for…
This album is really worth the listen… 8)
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Re: First album from Aisling Jarvis

Postby Macha » Mon May 25, 2015 9:06 pm

Wonderful news, but I wonder, how I can get this album... I've not seen it in German record stores. Maybe I have to try to get it via Amazon. Do you have a tracklist, dids? Would be helpful, thx.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:48 am

Macha wrote:Wonderful news, but I wonder, how I can get this album... I've not seen it in German record stores. Maybe I have to try to get it via Amazon. Do you have a tracklist, dids? Would be helpful, thx.

Not sure how much extra they would charge for shipping to Germany, Macha, but there are some copies available on Amazon UK. If you're happy with a "non-physical" (i.e. no CD in your hand!) version, it's available on iTunes, Google Music and Spotify as well.

Hope that helps.
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Macha » Sun May 31, 2015 10:09 pm

Dab051176 wrote:
Macha wrote:Wonderful news, but I wonder, how I can get this album... I've not seen it in German record stores. Maybe I have to try to get it via Amazon. Do you have a tracklist, dids? Would be helpful, thx.

Not sure how much extra they would charge for shipping to Germany, Macha, but there are some copies available on Amazon UK. If you're happy with a "non-physical" (i.e. no CD in your hand!) version, it's available on iTunes, Google Music and Spotify as well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Dave, but I prefer to have a CD in my hands - with booklet, cover and all that stuff. Maybe I'll have a look at Amazon.de, sometimes they have also some imported stuff from other countries, too, that you can buy there.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:00 pm

Nice review, but it doesn't say much honestly! What can we expect from the album? Which musical path has Aisling chosen? Is the album folky, or more pop? Does Aisling follow her mother's and family's footsteps?

What's the feeling you got from the album Dids? I.e. does it invoke powerful images, or does it float along like a run of the mill 13 in a dozen pop album?
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:43 pm

hello,

sorry for the late reply, I have not been there for quite a while...

I bought the album through the Amazon marketplace, e.g.:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=all

When I buy from the Marketplace, CDs often come from germany (dodax, nagiry...) or UK (in&out records, tracksounds...)

Unfortunately, I am not very good in reviewing albums, sorry... It may not help you decide if you want to buy it or not... :(

I can say that it is a pop album, there is nothing 'folk' or 'celtic' in style and it is quite different from what Moya has been doing with her own works, it is probably a bit closer to some pop songs from Clannad (although I know only a few music from the band) and it is totally different from Enya's works.

I find it a bit melancholic in the melodies (except 'the kids we used to be' which is the most 'catchy' song, I think...) and gives me same mood, and yes Phantas, it is, for me at least, more like an invitation to a trip through imagination and feelings, than just an ordinary pop album... This is how I feel it...
I have been surprised, as soon as I heard the first verse or the first song, as her voice sounds strong and mature... She goes from soft passages ( e.g. in 'fragile' or 'call me home') to more energic ones like in the song 'I' all about experiments, me'.
I find that she is very inventive; since the first listening there is always a song part, a choir, guitar notes, etc. that makes me think 'ah, nice idea'! :wink:

I have to say that I don't understand english well enough to tell you exactly what the songs are talking about... :( I understand some lyrics, but not the full story of each song...
It seems that she talks about parts of her life, her feelings, love... herself, actually! ;)

You may want to have a listen on youtube, I know she has posted some songs and video clips from tv performances or at Leo's like 'the kids we used to be' (official videoclip), 'fragile' and 'you shoes don't fit' at Leo's tavern, 'my words and sounds', etc. We can mostly see her singing only with her guitar on these videos, however in her album the songs are fully arranged, with piano, bass, guitars, drums, string pads, etc.
She has made most of the instrument parts: guitars, keyboards, bass, uillean pipes (in 'the kids we used to be', and I just heard some in 'my words and sounds', but it is subtle!) and also some percussion. She has also recorded and produced the whole album.

The album is a 'digipack' where the CD is in a section of the package, which has some pics and credits printed on it; there are no booklet and no lyrics provided.

To describe the songs a little bit:
'my words and sounds', 'thoughts', 'fragile' and 'when you're here' are quite similar, beginning softly with guitar chords, soon followed by fully orchestrated parts.
'thoughts' has guest singers (Eve Belle and Megan Nic Ruairi) and contains some parts in gaelic.
'dying to know' is a clean electric guitar/voice only song, where Aisling begins to sing quite softly to end up with a 'screaming' voice backing her last chorus.
'the kids we used to be' has a chorus sung by many, including Aisling, Euan Murphy (who sings the second verse) and backing singers.
'ghost (interlude)' is ... an interlude, a piano/voice only song; it seems to begin on the last part of a longer song...
'I'm all about experiments, me' has a most 'rock' style (quite soft, though)
'wyoming' is my favorite song, beginning with electric piano and guitar, and keeping this soft movement all along with some kick drum and soft synth sounds.
'call me home' begins also very softly (like most of the songs, finally!) and ends up with a nice choiring part, backing drums, guitar notes and (I guess) a soft synth string pad.

The song list is as follows:

your shoes don't fit
my words and sounds
thoughts
fragile
dying to know
the kids we used to be
when you're here
ghosts (interlude)
I'm all about experiments, me
wyoming
call me home

Edited to make minor corrections
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids

Postby Phantas » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks Dids! I was curious because Brigid's (one of Moya's younger sisters) album was quite poppy too, maybe a bit too much so. I might give this one a listen on youtube or somesuch, just to see if it's something for me to add to my collection! :)
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:30 pm

You're welcome! :)
I guess that she has also created a videoclip for 'fragile' so you will also listen to this song as it is on the album...
Bridin's album is 'poppy' indeed, as you say, but still very nice ;)
dids

Postby dids » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:21 pm

I have seen that she already has interested some of us :

viewtopic.php?t=3137

she also seems to be working on her new project:

http://breakingtunes.com/greennoise

She is definately an artist to follow! :D
dids

Postby yamahaforums » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:49 pm

The album is also available to stream on Apple Music and Spotify.

It's definitely worth a listen. Aisling has a great voice but seems to me the production is a bit lacking. It's almost as if her voice is too good for the material she's singing? Don't mean that to be disparaging in any way but that is my overriding impression.

Aisling also featured on a track called 'When You're Here (MI5 Edit)" with Robert Shah, which "I think" suits her voice much better but then that's more my kind of music so perhaps I am a little biased ;)

Anyway, I think the bottom line is she has definitely inherited Moya's talents as far as music goes. She's a fantastic all round musician and I hope we hear a lot more from her in future.
yamahaforums

Postby Turlough » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:17 am

@Yamahaforums -- it's good to have a real new member here. Welcome, and thanks for your comments about Aisling's music.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Return to General