The Happy hill

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Re: The Happy hill

Postby Turlough » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:15 am

Today I went to see the eye surgeon to have another treatment for nerve damage done by seeping blood within my right eye. The nurse did an ultrasound and was impressed by the success of last month's treatment. Tonight I'm just getting over today's treatment and noticing how much better I can read with the eye already.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:33 am

Glad it was successful Turlough :)
I take it that this is ongoing? Or is there an end in sight?
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Turlough » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Angoid there is supposed to be an end in sight, half a year away. It has become a new hobby, studying how the eye sees each day.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:35 am

Good to know that there is an end in sight .... gives you something to work towards and look forward to :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Macha » Wed May 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Sorry for being absent so long... but I have wonderful news that I must tell you: I'M GOING TO DUBLIN THIS JUNE - for holiday. Today I finally got the letter with the confirmation. I'm just happy and feel a bit weird, too. I just can't believe, that THIS dream of my life will come true next month.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:57 am

Sounds like lots of craic coming your way then Macha! Enjoy your trip to the "green country"!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu May 21, 2015 10:17 am

Hey Macha, enjoy Dublin :)
I went there for our second wedding anniversary, and it's a lovely place - you'll love it!
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Macha » Thu May 21, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks Suvi and Angus! :)

I can't tell how excited I am right now! Just yesterday I got the confirmation letter for the trip with some infos. In two weeks we'll have a "Pre-Meeting" to clear up some important things regarding the flight and and the baggage rules. Last October I've finally bought a new suitcase in a shop called "koffer-kopf" - the suitcase has a "London"-Motive with Big Ben and a red doouble decker bus. I really hope it'll not get damaged on the flight... It's a hardshell case - my first one; before I bought this I use a carrying case - a small trolley; not a hardshell case like my current one.
And I'm curious about the Irish radio stations - I would like to know to which I can listen when I'm in Dublin. Angoid, do you maybe have some infos about Irish radio stations that are receivable in Dublin? I have a MP3-player with integrated radio modus, so I thought that I can maybe listen to radio then. Would be great.

@ Angoid: oh, you've visited Dublin on your wedding anniversary? Wow, that's cool! And I'm sure, I'll enjoy Dublin... to tell the truth, this journey is a longtime dream of me - and now it'll come true! That's just... wow... I still can't believe that... I'm always thinking: Can some please pinch me that I maybe can believe, it's true? But one question at least: how do I order a "big" Guinnes (0,5 litres) - I mean in a big beer glass? What do I have to say to get that in an Irish Pub? Here in Kempten I just say "Ein großes Guinness, bitte", when I visit the Irish pub... I just don't want to get misunderstood.
Last edited by Macha on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:06 am

Macha wrote: And I'm curious about the Irish radio stations - I would like to know to which I can listen when I'm in Dublin. Angoid, do you maybe have some infos about Irish radio stations that are receivable in Dublin? I have a MP3-player with integrated radio modus, so I thought that I can maybe listen to radio then. Would be great.

@ Angoid: oh, you'v visited Dublin on your wedding anniversary? Wow, that's cool! And I'm sure, I'll enjoy Dublin... to tell the truth, this journey is a longtime dream of me - and now it'll come true! That's just... wow... I still can't believe that... I'm always thinking: Can some please pinch me that I maybe can believe, it's true? But one question at least: how do I order a "big" Guinnes (0,5 litres) - I mean in a big beer glass? What do I have to say to get that in an Irish Pub? Here in Kempten I just say "Ein großes Guinness, bitte", when I visit the Irish pub... I just don't want to get misunderstood.[/color]

Hi Macha,

The radio stations available in Ireland are pretty much similar to the setup elsewhere in Europe. The national broadcaster, RTÉ, has 4 stations. One of which is a mix of stuff, 1 rock and pop, 1 classical and 1 in Gaelic. There's a list here that may help, but I don't know how up to date it is... http://radiomap.eu/ie/dublin

Now for the important stuff - Guinness! :mrgreen: You need to order a pint - which is just over 0.5 litre (568ml if you want to be exact :P). The only other measure for beers and lagers used in pubs in the UK and Ireland is generally half a pint (so half the above quantity). To be honest, unless you specifically ask for a "half", most pubs will serve you the larger amount, anyway!

Hope that helps, have a great time in Dublin!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Macha » Sun May 31, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks, Dave, that helps really. I wasn't sure about the "pint". :D I hope I won't forget it. But I'm sure in the menues it's written. And how do I have to order it? Saying "I'd like to have a pint of Guinnness, please?" or something like that?

And for the Radio stations: can you please give me the names of the stations and the FM frequencies that I can find them a bit easier? Thanks in advance.

And yessss..... tomorrow in 2 weeks I'll sit in the plane - wow! It's still unbelievable for me - after years I have the chance to see the "home of my heart" (you can call me childish, if you want, but it's true - for me). :D
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Macha wrote:Thanks, Dave, that helps really. I wasn't sure about the "pint". :D I hope I won't forget it. But I'm sure in the menues it's written. And how do I have to order it? Saying "I'd like to have a pint of Guinnness, please?" or something like that?

That phrase has always worked for me! :mrgreen:

Macha wrote: And for the Radio stations: can you please give me the names of the stations and the FM frequencies that I can find them a bit easier? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, I'm not the best guide with that - I only know a handful of stations from my (admittedly frequent!) visits to Dublin, and even then I couldn't tell you the frequencies off hand, I'm afraid. A quick Google search should do the trick, though - that way you'll also be able to see what stations suit your taste, and make a note of the frequencies in the way that's most convenient for you. That said, I've found another list here: http://radiostationworld.com/locations/ ... bsites.asp. This has a section dedicated to stations in Dublin and surrounding area. The FM frequencies are in the first column on the far left!

Turas slán - safe journey!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Macha » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks, Dave, I'll try the link. And when I arrived in Dublin and in the hotel, and when I finally have time to listen to the radio, I'll try the frequencies - my MP3-Player has a digital display. I'll try and listen to them and when I've found a station, that I like, I'll listen to it then, I think.

And for Guinness: I hope it'll work. I'll tell you, when I'm back.

Thanks for your wishes, I'll come back with a huge story about my trip to Dublin, I promise!
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby AndyPandy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi All,

Its been a while since I posted here, but thought i'd give you all a life update from my side.

This happened last November... :)

That's right I got married. :) Some of you may recognise my wife as Briannah or 'Lady Persephone' from the enya shores forum.

Long story cut short, we finally got the chance to make things happen for both of us and went for it. Many 1000s of £££ later we are living together in England and working at the same place.

We are currently looking to buy a house in the country now that funds allow.

Happy! :D

It's kind of sad to see this forum as quiet as it is now, less than 10 years ago it was buzzing and I would spend most nights on here. I guess people move on and go in separate directions. Having said that there are people I met from this forum many years ago who I am still in touch with and of course my Wife whom I would never have met without the Brennan's music.

Hope everyone is keeping well and happy,

Mr. Panderson.
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:30 pm

Congrats for your wedding, AndyPandy! Yeah, it's awfully quiet here indeed, but at least I'm lurking here every now and then!

And happy, because I'm once again preparing myself to what has already become a tradition, a Celtic-style Mass in our parish! I'll be wearing my special Celtic-style dress and playing my flute, tinwhistles and recorders there...

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:48 pm

congratulations AndyPandy :D
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space