Clannad 2 interesting discovery

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Clannad 2 interesting discovery

Postby wonky_eggs » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some scouring of the web looking for the Clannad single holy grail (An Bealach Seo 'Tá Romham), and discovered this site http://www.irishrock.org/labels/wavin.html which gives information about Gael Linn re-issuing LPs and compilations of singles for a plastics company called Wavin, including An Bealach Seo 'Tá Romham and Clannad 2.

This triggered my memory. Moya mentioned in her autobiography that a company specifically asked Clannad to record an album for them. A quick flick through those pages gives the company as Wavin Pipes wanting to give the album as Christmas gifts.

So, it appears that Clannad 2 was not reissued by Wavin as the website suggests, but Clannad 2 is in fact the re-issue. The original name for Clannad 2 is "Ireland Traditional and Modern". Not a very catchy title, but neither is Clannad 2 to be honest. :wink:

I can't find an image of the album's cover, so I'm wondering has anyone ever seen a copy, or even own one?
wonky_eggs

Re: Clannad 2 interesting discovery

Postby dids » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 am

Last edited by dids on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Banba Óir » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi Barry,

could it be that you're looking for this one ? http://home.hccnet.nl/ed.plekkenpol/clannadwave.jpg
I do have it in my own private Clannad collection, bought it years ago, i think on Ebay. Never got to the real story of the album yet

regards :wink:
Ed
webmaster of the Clannad Newsblog at www.clannad.nl
Banba Óir

Postby wonky_eggs » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:57 am

Ah, thanks Ed, that'll be the one! Wow, it's good to see an actual cover for the album. Are Clannad mentioned on the reverse of the album, or just not mentioned at all? It's such an odd way for an album to come about.
wonky_eggs

Postby Banba Óir » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Clannad is mentioned inside left of the cover, with a pic of the band and who they were at that time.(the meaning of Clannad, where they're from,winning Letterkenny Folk Festival, the first LP) and on the lable of the record itself. On the right inside of the cover you'll find the story of Wavin. The back shows something the same like the front pics. There's no serialnumber like WAV... or year of release on the LP cover or record. If i'll find the time i make some more pics.

regards :wink:
Ed
webmaster of the Clannad Newsblog at www.clannad.nl
Banba Óir

Postby wonky_eggs » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks for the extra information - much appreciated! :D
wonky_eggs

Postby folkerman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:56 pm

This rare LP was definitely recorded by Gael Linn. The Wavin issue had the Gael Linn catalogue number scratched into the run off grooves. As was always the case with Wavin issues of any music, they borrowed music already recorded and put it out on vinyl with their labels and their covers but with the music recorded by other companies. The "Ireland Traditional and Modern" LP was exactly the same as "Clannad 2" apart from labels and cover.
folkerman

Return to Clannad