Clannad in Liverpool and Llandudno

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Clannad in Liverpool and Llandudno

Postby Dab051176 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi all,

As promised, and in a hopefully not-in-vain attempt to get some conversation going... :P

As I'm sure you're aware, Clannad are currently touring in the UK, and I had the pleasure of going (and Clannad had this misfortune of putting up with me! :wink: ) twice.
The first concert was at Liverpool Cathedral, which is the largest cathedral in the UK. As you can imagine, the acoustics in there are amazing, and perfect for Clannad's music. In fact, so good is the sound in there, the support band (a group called The Young Folk) decided to disconnect their instruments from the sound system, and wandered into the centre of the Cathedral to play! I won't pretend that I heard every word, but I heard a surprising amount very clearly.

When the main event came, though, Clannad were on fine form, with a mixture of songs from Nádúr as well as the usual "crowd pleasers" from Robin, and Dúlamán and Teidhir Abhaile Riú to finish. The gig ended with the usual meet & greet session, which gave me a chance to catch up with Moya and the family whilst a friend of mine (who was there for the first time, and I think is still in shock that she got to speak to them! :mrgreen: ) got her tickets and a copy of Affinity signed.

Then on Thursday, Clannad finally came to North Wales!!!! :mrgreen: Venue Cymru is the nearest large theatre to me, so it was great to see them on my "home turf". The setlist was the same as Liverpool, but if anything, they were on even better form, and Moya - it was a very commendable attempt at pronouncing quite a difficult place name - I'm impressed! :D

Despite the foul weather on both nights, it was great to see a decent turnout at both gigs, so if Clannad need reassurance that the Brits want to hear them, hopefully they got it! Although it'll be the last night of the tour, so I'll have mixed emotions on the night, roll on 2nd November in Dublin - it promises to be quite a night!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Re: Clannad in Liverpool and Llandudno

Postby Banba Óir » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:17 am

Hi Dave,

thanx a lot for the two reviews of the Clannad gigs in Liverpool and Llandudno (who ever came up with such a name ? :? :lol: )
I can imagine the sound of Clannad playing in such a big cathedral, must have been amazing!
I tried to make it to one of the London concerts, but alas couldn't get there in time. Anyway, you have something to look forward, the Dublin concert, what will be the last one for some time. Have fun over there and let us know about it !

regards :wink:
Ed
webmaster of the Clannad Newsblog at www.clannad.nl
Banba Óir

Postby cantilena91 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:38 am

and Llandudno (who ever came up with such a name ?

The Welsh language it is, the culprit for all those slurping sounds (double L is pronounced like that when it is in the same syllable)! :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing the concert stories with us, at least it brought back some very fond memories from my two experiences (Helsinki 2008 and 2012 that is)!

Suvi (off to learn how to make some colcannon and Irish soda bread now...)
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:23 pm

cantilena91 wrote:
and Llandudno (who ever came up with such a name ?

No, wrong question. What you should really be asking is, "Who came up with the name llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?"
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:55 pm

What you should really be asking is, "Who came up with the name llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?"

Indeed!!!! :mrgreen:

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:40 am

:)

I dig the four "L"s together in the middle of the name .... appreciate and understand that the name is essentially a whole sentence(!) but still ...
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby cantilena91 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:00 pm

Angoid wrote::)

I dig the four "L"s together in the middle of the name .... appreciate and understand that the name is essentially a whole sentence(!) but still ...

They are just offering an option to find the place for those who don't have a good old map or navigator available (but then again you have to be able to understand the language)...! :lol:

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Angoid wrote:No, wrong question. What you should really be asking is, "Who came up with the name llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?"

@Angus - Nasty little infection that is! Couple of paracetamols and a lie down will sort it out! :wink: :mrgreen:

I know this is going off topic, but for the benefit of those unfamiliar with this fine part of the world..... The aforementioned Llanfairpwllgwyngyll]llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a place on the Isle of Anglesey, about 50 miles from here. The name means "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the fierce whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave", and was dreamt up by a local in the mid 1800s, purely to attract tourism. There's not much there, in truth, just a few shops and a pub, but they still get plenty of tourists, most of whom go to get their photo taken in front of the sign at the railway station! Locally, it's abbreviated to Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, or Llanfair P G - it's easier! That said, I did point out to Moya that it was a good job the gig wasn't there, so she didn't have to pronounce it. She seemed rather startled when I rattled it off in full! :P

In answer to the other question. In common with other Celtic countries (Ireland being another notable example), Wales has a lot of "local" saints, many of whom have places named after them. These tend to start with the prefix "Llan-" or "church of". In the case of Llandudno, the saint in question is one St Tudno, but because of the mind bendingly complex grammatical rules in the Welsh language, the T mutates to a D, hence "Church of Tudno" or Llandudno.

Hope that explanation hasn't sent you to sleep and helps explain. Actually, Angus, have you got any of those paracetamol spare??? :P
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:59 pm

Dave - even better.
Take one of these. It's paracetamol and codeine. But only take them for 3 days or less, if symptoms persist then consult your doctor :D
And Suvi - I work with maps as part of my job :)
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Banba Óir » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:02 pm

Ah well Dave,

you've got your conversation going :lol:
Alas it's about city names and paracetamols.. :?

regards :wink:
Ed
webmaster of the Clannad Newsblog at www.clannad.nl
Banba Óir

Return to Clannad