It may sound weird.

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

It may sound weird.

Postby Phantas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:00 am

But with the release of Nadur and my everlasting fanhood of Clannad... I want them to appear on the Eurovision Songcontest NEXT YEAR!!! I think that they actually would stand a chance of winning, they have nothing to lose, and I bet they'd have a wonderful time.

They don't even have to be in it to win it... they can just go there to have fun! Bet they'd meet wonderful people while there. [it's in Denmark next year]

Does anyone agree/disagree? Any thoughts?

I know it's not their regular cup of tea/run of the mill kind of thing, but I think they would have a blast and it would mean a wonderful exposure to Europe!

Love,
Rick
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Re: It may sound weird.

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 am

Well, whereas ESC has given the world some very good music & artists (Secret Garden, Olsen Brothers, Klapa S Mora, etc.), I disagree with you on this. Sadly, these days the entire ESC is so underrated and people always consider it only providing mishmash stage circus instead of real music, myself included. This is why it would not make Clannad any good, yes, it may increase their visibility, but, then again, they still do have a big fanbase already and are getting more and more anyway. They just use other channels for getting new fans, which is good enough, at least in my opinion.

Maybe, when I think of the more folk-ish ESC entrances in the past, it could have worked for Clannad much better in the 1970s methinks. Thinking of the ex-Yugoslavian entries (Dubrovacki Trubaduri etc.) who did very well back then. And that was when people preferred the MUSIC instead of the horrible stage circus. Those where the days...!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:33 am

Funnily enough, didn't Denmark have a folky entry this year that won? Sure, it was pop but it did have some folk elements. And IMHO, Clannad transcends the normal folk music. Personally, I think they could get very far - Moya's voice is stunning when on full strength, and the band, well, we need not go into that at all! I agree with you that th Eurovision has changed a lot, but I disagree that this would work against Clannad - in fact, I think it might be an advantage over all the eurotrash that gets thrown into the spectacle. Clannad is strong, ALWAYS, with their songs, and they have a strong stage presence too. So I am completely opposite your thinking Suvi! :)

And I still think Clannad has nothing to lose - not their reputation or whatever. They have only to gain....

They don't have to do it to gain fans, not at all - but performing at Eurovision might reach out to those who have not had the pleasure of hearing their magnificent sound.

However, if they perform [and it's a BIG if], I do hope it will be with a song written/arranged by Ciaran and Pol, and maybe some touches from Moya too. Nadur has shown how strong their songs are IMHO, and how versatile.
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Well, a tinwhistle here and there does NOT make a folk song, it only had some elements there. The melody of the winning song was catchy, but IMHO only the catchiness made it a winner, otherwise it was quite "empty" and did not speak to me in any way. Then again, Croatian entry for this year was pure folk, and it was thrown out directly from the final, even though it was a world-class piece. It just is so that most of the good tracks are drowned by the eurotrash that doesn't even deserve to be there. They must act soon enough in the ESC in order to raise the quality of the national entries, and put it back to the level of the good old times before it is too late.

Obviously Riverdance got much fame throug ESC, but then again, it was an interval act and this is what I think Clannad could do very well, the slot for an interval act could get them 100% better attention from the viewers than just a single ESC entry act.

ESC has seen its heyday, so somehow I think it is not regarded as a proper contest any more. Sad, but true.

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:19 pm

I had a thought just this morning... I think the rewarding system / country hosting system should change. Every participating country should get their turn to host - ofcourse, this would imply to change the rewards for the winner / winning country of the contest. I'm not 100% sure what the winning song/artist gets at the moment, but I think if every country would get a turn it would be much more fair to all participants.
* - In case a country has financial problems and is unable to host the contest, however, there should be the option for one of the Big 5/6 to step in and host in its place.

There are some huge music powerhouses, like Sweden and Denmark, as well as Russia and Ukraine that get a good chance of ending up high in the top 5 EACH YEAR. Regardless of the song, that to me seems UNFAIR to those countries that send in great songs but simply lack the amount of voters [i.e. Spain, Portugal etc].

Either way, a strong song has a lot of opportunities - the last two years it showed in the Finals. I LOVED Croatia's entry this year but I admit their stage presence was...well... not as great. These days a great song isn't enough, there has to be something on stage that speaks to the audience as well ... and IMHO that's not too much to ask for. Clannad, however, has the luck of being a BAND... meaning there's more than one person doing his or her thing, and on top of this, Clannad has HARMONY vocals, meaning all or most band members add their voices. This is good.

Add a bit of stage props or whatever, let the boys and Moya move around the stage a bit, and hey presto, there you go. Remember Iceland's entry of a few years ago? Also a band, and not much going on but they got very far! IMHO, I could easily see "Brave Enough" being a kind of song that could go far on the Eurovision.

As much as we can lament the absence of the glorydays we also need to look forward - and for me, the last few winning songs/acts of the Contest were NOT big circus acts. [Still think Anouk should have won tho LOL... Denmark had a nice song but lacked depth.]
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:09 pm

ESC would work only if there were several semifinals instead of just two, the problem is that there are way too many entries already and poor listeners just cannot cope the overlong semis let alone the massive 24-country final... As for this year's Croatian entry, it was the simplicity that got my eye & ear for it, there is NO need for anything that would seem to be artificially added on it. Having visited the country just last year, I could not but admire the simple klapa singing style they have there, a tradition of singing in harmonies (mainly male groups) and having mainly tamburas (their form of mandolins) as accompaniment. Very often simple is beautiful.

Then again, it is very difficult to know what is behind the success (or lack of it) with each ESC entry each year, and with ESC being lately associated with gays (no offence, but you get the point) is another thing. It is almost impossible to know what is going to success in what year and what not. There are already several different styles presented each year, but even that doesn't seem to be enough.

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:45 pm

No offence taken, it has been a gay party for the last few years, possibly because no one else seems to take it as it is [or makes it bigger than it is]: namely a huge concert with international music :)

And personally, the fact that one cannot predict it is its charm if you ask me.... wouldn't it get pretty stale if you could predict it? There have been years , kind of an interbellum, where one could see, by the songs alone, who would be the winner. Over the last few years I think that has reduced significantly, and it comes down more as to how much airplay and/or exposure the performing artist has been given. Not that I think thát in itself is a good thing, but it is more like it should be.

Anyway, back to Clannad!! :) Hooking onto what I posted in my previous post, would you disagree Suvi that "Brave Enough" could be a great ESC song? Naturally they can't enter with it, but something along the same style I think would work. :)
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:56 am

Well, I would prefer something like Sirius (which I particularly don't like though!) or In A Lifetime, though the synths from the 80s (that critics like to loathe, even with Nadúr!) might need to be updated a bit... Brave Enough is "not brave enough" for ESC IMHO...

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Return to Clannad