Nádúr - Transatlantic

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Nádúr - Transatlantic

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:34 pm

What do you think about TransAtlantic?

TransAtlantic and Turas Dhomsa Chon na Galldachd were the tracks I was most excited to hear, but I only listened to the album for the first time this afternoon, so trying to scramble the lyrics! TransAtlantic is a heart-wrenching song that we can all relate to in our own ways, the lyrics are quite raw, and the vocals and instrumentation have absolutely no ego and so much integrity.. what do you think? Apologies for any mistakes in the lyrics, I've terrible hearing!

I walked the stairs, I walked the stairs
From the shadows, a light of you flared
Then I walked the roads, I walked, walked the roads
And they brought me to the raw shores of Cóbh*

New York a cough of blood
Along the water from
My dreams were calling out
Of sky and stone

I went westwards towards another war
And I knew what my eyes were fighting for
I watched my boy, I watched, watched my boy

Look out for my son he is so very young
Look out for my son my blood and bone

Look out for my son he was so very young
Look out for my son my blood and bone

I nursed the dead I nursed, I nursed the dead
And I drew the curtains across my own head
I went home, I went, went on home
‘Began to feel I’m never alone

Look out for my soul, it never will get old
Look out for my soul, my story’s told

When I crossed the atlantic
I arrived on the westside**

Colum McCann's book, 'TransAtlantic', inspired the book, and is a friend of Moya and Pól's. Ireland and America have a strong historical connection, and the two nations' past has its own success horror stories. I just ordered the book, it might tell me a lot more, and I've heard a lot about the author, his name slips off the tongue of everyone I've worked with when I've mentioned TransAtlantic over the past few months waiting on this album.

I will try to get new threads for as many lyrics as I can over the next day or two :D Too excited, too enthusiastic.. awh well! :lol:

* Cóbh - a town in County Cork. From Wikipedia: 2.5 million of the 6 million who left Ireland for America left from Cóbh Harbour
** The Westside - the part of New York many Irish Americans, Italians and Chinese settled in during mass emigration. My own close friend Sr. Kathleen Deignan was brought up on the westside by her Leitrim and Roscommon parents. The old westside is now demolished by Trump Towers and luxury apartments. It was a place for the poor, a new start in the "new world" before is was given to the millionaires and professional landlords. Kathleen and her sister are fonts of knowledge!
Last edited by Roibeard Óg on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Re: Nádúr - Transatlantic

Postby Phantas » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:25 am

I love this song, it's one of my favourites. The emotions are def very raw and heartfelt and regardless of the backstory this song goes straight to the heart. From the first note to the last it's gripping :)
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Not having read the novel behind this song (haven't even heard about the author before this!), but for me, it seems that the story is quite interesting: on one hand there is all the sorrow and pain felt by the narrator of the song about her true son going to war, and on the other hand, I can also sense a hint of being proud of that son, heroically... Anyway, whatever the story behind this is, the song alone is very touching indeed!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Question - in the last verse, I tend to hear:

'Look out for my song, it never will get old
Look out for my song, my story's told'

instead of soul.

Dunno if that's correct at all, it just seemed to me more fitting - a song can't get old either and with Clannad it seemed to fit so well. but now that I read 'soul' it could be that too....
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Yvonne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:12 am

I love this song so much. I get goosebumps already when I hear it in my head! Very very emotional indeed.

Thank you for the background information about The Westside and Cóbh as well.

I have listened very carefully and I have to say that I do hear "Soul" and not "Song" Both meanings are possible, though I would go for soul. I think it is bit more plausible that the stories told (the stories of your life?) are in your soul than in a song, but may be I am wrong! Either meaning works.

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:44 pm

I love the way Moya starts this song, completely acapella: "I walked the stairs, I walked the stairs..." so inviting yet so cool and it draws you in.
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Yvonne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:27 pm

The beginning is indeed stunning, but I also love the ending. Well, and everything in between as well :lol: . But you are right, the beginning of the song draws you right in, it is beautiful.

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:42 pm

The way she sings that.... it's a good lesson in how to DEMAND attention by just singing. Such force is behind those words, such raw power.
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:13 am

Just found a fresh interview of Pól and Colum McCann from RTÉ's website, telling the story about collaborating with Transatlantic. You can listen back here:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/aoibhinn-and-company/

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Return to Clannad