Oro sheetmusic

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Oro sheetmusic

Postby Fjalladís » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:53 am

Hi everybody,
I have a question. Does anybody know, whether there is sheet music of Moya's songs available somewhere? Oro to be precise?
Best wishes,
Christina
Für jetzt bleiben Glaube, Hoffnung, Liebe, diese drei; doch am größten unter ihnen ist die Liebe.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Fjalladís
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:08 pm

I haven't come across any, Christina - sorry! :(

The only "Brennan related" sheet music that I know of is the music from the Clannad PastPresent album, but that's very difficult to get hold of, too.

If I come across anything, I'll PM you to let you know.
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby edje&anja » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:56 am

I once asked Moya, if they have got their misic on paper, but they don't. It is all in their heads!!

Some songs they play, can be found in (old) Irish songs misic books, and past and present is, as mentioned.

Edwin
edje&anja
Enthusiastic Member

Postby wonky_eggs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:01 pm

The only official Moya sheet music that I know of was for one of the songs from Perfect Time and only available in the US.

Which song I can't remember at the moment, but it came as a cassette with the sheet music and lyrics printed on the sleeve. If I remember correctly there was the instrumental version on one side and album version on the other.

I'm visiting my parents next week and if I remember I'll see if I can dig it out and let you know.

However this does make me wish that the Clannad Songbook Moya promised us 10 years ago would finally be completed and released as the Pastpresent book just isn't enough for us budding musicians.
wonky_eggs

Postby Fjalladís » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Ok thanks guys. Looks as if I have to sit down with paper and pencil. The melody is not that difficult, but the harmonies in the chorus frighten me. :?
Für jetzt bleiben Glaube, Hoffnung, Liebe, diese drei; doch am größten unter ihnen ist die Liebe.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Fjalladís
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Niamh » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:37 am

It would be nice to play Moya's music. I have been looking myself for sheets and all I found was the past present collection in our local library. That was something though
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Fjalladís wrote: The melody is not that difficult, but the harmonies in the chorus frighten me. :?

I've just had a listen again to Óró, Christina, and I don't think the harmonies are quite as complicated as they first sound - it sounds to me like they've been "layered", if that makes sense.

If I was trying to do it, I'd just focus on one voice at a time - it's a lot less daunting than trying to pick out 5 or 6 parts in one go! Then try to copy it down, then move on to the next voice, etc.... Eventually, you'll be able to play it all together (at least that's the theory!).

I know this seems a bit long-winded (and I probably haven't explained what I mean very well!), but hope it makes something like sense.

Next time I get access to a keyboard, I'll try it myself to see if I can help, and I'll PM you if I get any success!
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Re: Oro sheetmusic

Postby Dab051176 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi Crisalex - welcome to the forum! :D

So that we can help, we need to clarify what you're asking! :mrgreen: Do you mean the song "Oró"? In which case, what info would you like?
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Sorry Dave, Crisalex is a spammer so I have deleted it and its posts.
Usual garbage - from Pakistan according to the IP address.
We've been getting quite a lot recently, was hoping to zap it before anyone had a chance to post.
Hopefully any other forum admins researching Crisalex landing here by way of an Internet search will then know to deal with their instance the same way as we do :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dab051176 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 pm

No problem, Angus - have to admit I wasn't sure, so I gave the benefit of the doubt! :wink:

Long time, no speak - Hope you, Thea and young 'un are well! :D
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Yep - we're doing well thanks :) Little One is as cute as a button and is now 10 months old (doesn't time fly?) Hope you're doing well and all set up for a great Christmas!
Must be in touch more meaningfully when I get the time .... I'm trialling Windows 8 at home now and so far, so good!

Back on-topic, I did get hold of the sheet music for Baidin Fheidhlimi once, but it was ages ago so not sure what lyrics are available now. But if Moya says they keep it all in their heads, then it's not going to be possible except by listening to the track and trying to put in the chords / notes yourself and writing them down as you go along :|
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Grania » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Baidin Fheidhlimi is a traditional song, so easier to find (still mighty grateful for that Angus!) Oro...I'd be surprised to be honest, unfortunately
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Angoid » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 am

Yeah - I realised that just after I had posted. If the group stores all the arrangements in their heads, then there's no hope unfortunately.

One thing I used to do with some of our church worship music is listen to it and play / write the chords down as I went along (if I couldn't get hold of the sheet music or guitar chords easily) and by and large this worked .... but worship music is much simpler than this, and it might be quite hard to get everything down correctly. But if you have a musical ear, you may want to try doing it that way and see how far you get.

Glad to hear that Baidin Fheidhlimi is still being put to good use, G :) I wonder if that's what you're playing on the harp in your avatar?!?!?!?!
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Grania » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:36 pm

It's not too complicated a tune....should be doable!

Sadly, that is not what I was playing...no idea what it was! Was busy shopping!
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Re:

Postby martijn » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:13 am

I think you are referring to the cassette single of 'The Light On The Hill'?

wonky_eggs wrote:The only official Moya sheet music that I know of was for one of the songs from Perfect Time and only available in the US.

Which song I can't remember at the moment, but it came as a cassette with the sheet music and lyrics printed on the sleeve. If I remember correctly there was the instrumental version on one side and album version on the other.

I'm visiting my parents next week and if I remember I'll see if I can dig it out and let you know.

However this does make me wish that the Clannad Songbook Moya promised us 10 years ago would finally be completed and released as the Pastpresent book just isn't enough for us budding musicians.
“Forgiveness is the key not pride”
Máire Brennan – Perfect Time
martijn
Enthusiastic Member

Next

Return to General