Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann with Clannad & Altan

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann with Clannad & Altan

Postby Susann » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Announcment on the Fleadh Cheoil website:

Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann, in partnership with LiveTrad.com, will broadcast the first ever concert involving both Altan and Clannad live from the Dome via the internet during this year’s Fleadh Cheoil.
The concert, which begins at 7pm GMT+1 on Thursday August 16th will be webcast in full on both http://www.FleadhCheoil.ie and http://www.LiveTrad.com. To convert to your Time Zone, click here).
Altan and Clannad have been to the forefront of traditional Irish music for over 25 years. Both groups grew up in the rich musical traditions of their native Donegal, but incredibly, this is the very first time the groups will take to the stage together.
It promises to be an unforgettable night of music for those in attendance at The Dome in Cavan for this Fleadh highlight, and for those who want to log on from home, it couldn’t be simpler.
All you need to watch the concert online is a reliable broadband connection and up-to-date browser software. For any technical support, go to http://www.LiveTrad.com/help.
Viewers will be invited to post messages and requests throughout the concert via the LiveTrad.com interactive message board, and we’ll have requests read out on air.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann with Clannad & Altan

Postby Dab051176 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks for posting the info, Susann - I've just picked it up from the Clannad Facebook page, as well! :D
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi Dave, tomorrow I'm going to Cavan :D :D :D and back to Germany on Friday.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Luned » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Those of you who missed the live broadcast of the concert may be interested in the following announcement from Facebook Clannad Page:
"The good people at Livetrad.com have arranged for last weeks concert, streamed live from Ireland, to be re-broadcast, so that those of you who missed it, may hopefully get a chance to see it this time. In addition to that, some of the band will be online live at the same time to answer some of your questions. The concert will be re-broadcast this coming Sunday 26th August at 21:00 (GMT+1). During the broadcast, the LiveTrad message board will be open for anyone to ask a question live to the band.
Messages can also be sent in advance by visiting www.LiveTrad.com/stream and inputting your question on the message board, which is located under the Live Player."
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 pm

I’m late but here is my little report about my short trip to Cavan from 15th to 17th August 2012.

I arrived Dublin at midday so I had to wait for the bus to Cavan for almost 2 hours. It was raining cats and dogs but when the bus arrived Cavan the sun came out. I thought that my hotel - the Radisson Blu Farnham Estate – is about 3 km outside town so I decided to walk. But in the end it was a way of 6 km along a quite dangerous road. After checking in I walked back to Cavan. The very nice hotel staff described me a not shorter but saver way. The town was full of music. In the streets were children playing their instruments – the upcoming folk music stars – and also in every pub was music.
The next day I started with a walking tour at the Farnham Estate – a beautiful, quiet area with a forest and a lake. I love especially old trees. When I see them I have to touch their bark and if nobody is around me I sing the song “Alt wie ein Baum” (Old like a tree) by the East German group “Puhdys” :oops:. In the afternoon I walked back to Cavan. The atmosphere in the town was just fantastic. At around 5 pm I was at the big tent where Clannad and Altan would play at night. The people at the entrance told me that I had to collect my ticket at the box office there. It would open at 6 pm. Perfect – I’m there 2 hours before the concert and couldn’t go in at first. But I was lucky. Leon saw me and let me in the tent that I could put my jacket over a chair. At that time was Clannad’s soundcheck and Moya welcomed me. When I realised that the concert is in a tent I was a little concerned about the acustics but it was better as I expected. While I was waiting to get my ticket a man came and told highly excited other people that he was there when Clannad had it’s soundcheck and it would sound like on CD. The concert was wonderful. First Clannad was on stage. They played all the known songs like „Harry’s Game“, „I will find you“ „In a lifetime“ and „Newgrange“. After a while heavy rain started. I think you can imagine the sound on the roof of the tent. But they are professionals and the rain didn’t disturb them. After a break Altan came on stage. A lot of their songs I knew as well. At the end Moya joined them on stage and sang together with Mairéad “Gleanntáin Ghlas' Ghaoth Dobhair”. It was an unforgettable night :D :D :D . Thank you CLANNAD and ALTAN. And many thanks to Leon. I had planned to go back to the town centre after the show but it was still pouring with rain so I took a taxi to my hotel.
The next morning I got up quite early because the hotel has a nice indoor and outdoor swimmíng pool. I was there on my own and so I stayed about an hour. It was a little bit drizzling and so damp was above the water. I could see the green rolling hills around the estate and grazing cows. It was so peaceful. After having breakfast I took a taxi to Cavan. My bus back to the airport was at about 1 pm and at home I was about 11 pm. I was away less then 3 days but it seemed to be a whole week because of all the nice things I experienced there. :D :D :D

Here are the photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/Susann177/IrlandCavan2012#
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Return to Clannad