Your Latest Albums

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby goldenhorse231 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 am

I actually did not buy many CD´s recently, so my last ones have been:

"The Good In Goodbye" by Madison Violet

and

"A Band For All Seasons" by Larkin Poe

These bands are what I listen to at the times that I don´t listen to Moyas songs :wink:
goldenhorse231

Re: Your Latest Albums

Postby cantilena91 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Just got the sequel album "Celtic Viol II" by Jordi Savall, let's see how it will compare to volume 1!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:28 am

Yesterday I ordered "Rusty Razor" by Goats Don'T Shave. I will get it tomorrow. Goats Don'T Shave will play at the Donegal Live Festival from 25th till 27th May in Donegal/Town and I will be there as well :).
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Macha » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:06 pm

I bought "Bretonne" by Nolwenn Leroy two days ago on Amazon. Just listened to it and the only thing I can say is: WOW! It's a great album; it has Breton songs and Irish Songs and French and English songs. My faves are:

- La jument de Michao
- Tri Martolod
- Scarborough Fair
- Greensleeves
- Siúil á Rúin
- Mna Na H-Eireann (Women of Ireland)

The reason why I bought the album, was "La jument de Michao"; I've heard this song a few days/weeks ago on the radio and couldn't get it out of my head.
:D
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby goldenhorse231 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:20 am

You are soooo right, Nolwen Leroys album really is a great one. My favourites are Tri Martolod and Mna Na H-Eireann :D

Susann
goldenhorse231

Postby Susann » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:22 am

I have got the CD “Rusty Razor” by Goats Don’t Shave and I love it. I very much look forward to seeing the band at the Donegal Live Festival end of May in Donegal/Town. :D :D :D

One of the most impressing songs is “The Evictions” written by Pat Gallagher. It tells the very sad story about Glenveagh Castle :( :( :( http://www.ireland-fun-facts.com/derryv ... tions.html. But Glenveagh National Park is gorgeous. I have walked there several times and I have watched the very moving documentary about the Derryveagh Evictions in the Visitor Centre.

Here are the lyrics:

The Evictions

Spoken before the Music starts

Lo in the wilds of Donegal, where heather bloom is bred, round lake and cliff,
on moor and mean, onto the mountains head. Our cabin homes, our natal homes
our kindred's homes were they. Lay ruined by the minions of the spoiler of Glenveagh

Singing

My Name it is Sweeney a father of two sons I am,
A cottier tenant like many a true mountain man,
My wife fell to famine and my heart will never repair,
But worse was to come in the form of a John George Adair.

The news in the valley a stranger had bought up the land,
Soon twenty eight thousand acres he would command,
But we were to learn that the blood in his body ran cold,
For the suffering of the poor was John Adair 's goal.

Chorus
The Hills and the mountains know your name,
The deer even hang their heads in shame,
and even the longest winters rain,
Can't wash away all the suffering and pain,
Of the Evictions at Derryveagh.

You swore on us lies, you had us arrested and jailed
For the murder of Murray your agent, but justice prevailed
But vengeance was feasting inside of your cold Scottish heart
So the notice was given, people and land they must part

One morning in April 1861
Two hundred soldiers their bayonets shone in the sun
Led by the sheriff they marched with the Crowbar brigade
And a widow, six daughters, a son, first homeless were made

Repeat Chorus

Two hundred and forty four people made homeless that day
While John Adair's castle was planned for the shores of Loch Veagh
Some to the poorhouse, some to Australia's shore
But all said goodbye to a homeland they'd see never more

Repeat Chorus
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby goldenhorse231 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks for telling us, Susann. That really sounds interesting and I´ll surely listen to it. Hope to say hello to you in Berlin :-)
goldenhorse231

Postby cantilena91 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:24 pm

My recent album addition: A wonderful collaboration between composer John Rutter and harpist Catrin Finch, entitled "Blessing". This lovely album contains newly rearranged pieces by John, a couple of newly composed pieces also by John, some Welsh folk songs (arranged by John), as well as the debut composition by Catrin Finch, entitled "Celtic Concerto". Catrin is accompanied by Sinfonia Cymru, and the album features soprano Elin Manahan Thomas as well.

A lovely album indeed!

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:53 am

Not sure if anyone knows Lisa Gerrard but I have really fallen in love with her music over the last couple of months and my favorite album seems to be "The Silver Tree". My favorite song is "Come Tenderness". Here is a link to the music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BXNRwxNeNM
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Just updating this thread a bit as well: Earlier this week I finally got my copy of Adiemus Colores by Karl Jenkins, didn't actually believe that he would continue making Adiemus albums anymore, but boy I was wrong! Adiemus Colores is heavily influenced by Latin America, featuring a great guitar player (Milos Karadaglic), a fado singer (Cuca Roseta), a great trumpeter (Pacho Flores) and a great tenor Rolando Villazon. No magical voices from Miriam Stockley this time (nor the sound of the magical recorders by Pamela Thorby), but still very typical Adiemus, thanks to the Finnish group who do the "tribal" vocals throughout the album...

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm

over the past few months I have added many CDs to my collection:
- Moya and Cormac De Barra: Affinity
- Clannad: Lore (2 CDs edition including the 'Themes and Dreams' bonus CD), Crann Ull, Live at Christ Church Cathedral
- The Duggans & friends: Rubicon
- Mezzoforte: Observations, Forward Motion, Live in Reykjavik (DVD edition including 2 CDs)
- Runrig: Amazing Things, where Moya sings on 'Dream Fields' and does the backing vocals as well on this song with her sisters (Dee, Olive and Bridin); another song, 'Amazing Things', has also backing vocals from them.
- Sean Lennon: Friendly Fire
- Alan Parsons Project: Eye in the Sky
- The Corrs: Talk on Corners
- Brian Culbertson: XII
- Kate Bush: Hounds of Love, The Red Shoes

and many others, including some french artists ('Fantaisie Militaire' by Alain Bashung, '10000 Hz Legend' and 'Pocket Symphony' by Air, 'Songbook1' by Cecile Corbel, 'Follow Jon Hendricks... if you can!!!' by Andre Minvielle, 'Mister Mystere' by -M-, etc.) and some best-of (Chris Rea, Toto, Deep Purple, ZZTop...)
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby dids » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:21 am

Falling in Love (Red Cardell)
Nadur (Clannad)
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby cantilena91 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:11 am

Just sharing my latest arrival with you, under the title "something old, something new", namely, yesterday I finally got my copy of the latest Secret Garden album, entitled "Just The Two Of Us". As the title suggests, this is an "unplugged" album featuring only Rolf Lovland (piano) and Fionnuala Sherry (violin), and, although most of the pieces are already familiar (with a couple of new pieces as a bonus), it all sounds very fresh indeed! I quite love the idea of focusing to just piano and violin this time, and, although I have listened to the album only once so far, it was a very emotional experience for me indeed. I just wish SG would make an all-new album just like this in the future (don't get me wrong, I love the lush orchestrations and choirs and singers, but, another "duo" album would be just great)!

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Wed May 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Last year, I stumbled across the music of Felicia Farerre. She has also recorded music under the name Felicia Sorensen. I know I say this a lot but she has one of the best voices I have ever heard. I have been on a mission to collect every song that she has recorded. She has been featured on a number of soundtracks as well as movie trailers. In fact in 2013 she won Female Vocalist of the Year for the Trailer Music Awards. She is the music industries best kept secret. Why she is not huge world wide is a mystery to me.
One of the composers she has been collaborating with a lot with lately is Phillip Ray. I discovered his music through Felicia. He composes amazing epic music for film, trailers & video games. They have done a number of collaborations together.
My reason for telling you all this is because Phil & Felicia just announced their indiegogo.com campaign to fund their latest project titled “A Million To One”. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-mi ... /x/6575742 It features 15 love songs composed by Phil & Felicia and features just a piano and a voice. Help support the new album by pre-ordering a copy for your self. You will not be disappointed. The indiegogo site has lots of info about Felicia & Phil and their contributions to the music industry. There is also three videos that help explain who they are and what they are trying to accomplish. You can also get a free download of 3 of the songs from the new album. But don’t stop there. Please help spread the word about this incredible project by telling your friends & family, posting it on Facebook and Twitter.
To give you a taste of Felicia’s work, here are a couple of my favorite songs. Here is a link to a song called By You. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdSUMpumMD0. Simply incredible. Listen to that voice.
Here is a song called “Shadows On The Hill“. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDV3agUbssw. It is a collaboration between Phil & Felicia from their last project together called “In Excelsis“. Available for purchase now. https://phreymusic.bandcamp.com/album/in-excelsis
Check out Felicia & Phil‘s sound cloud websites to discover more incredible music. Felicia: https://soundcloud.com/felicia-farerre Phil: https://soundcloud.com/phreymusic
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Wed May 07, 2014 1:54 pm

I forgot to add that Felicia has recorded a number of different Genres over the years including Celtic. She has done a lot of work for Orla Fallon from Celtic Women as well.
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space