Journey to Eurovision 2012!

The world's a big place. There's lots going on. Let everyone else know about it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Journey to Eurovision 2012!

Postby Phantas » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:36 pm

As the Eurovision Songcontest 2012 is in May, lots of countries are beginning their journey. The Dutch have just chosen their entry for this year:

Joan Franka - You and Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVHN9M9R7d0

No, she is not an Indian/native American!
I hope the act will be improved, and whether the feather crown should stay or go depends on how you look at the chances of winning LOL!

It was a very close call but this was the song that stood out, and the act that stood out. I do not vote but I truly LOVE this song. I wonder how it sits with you?

Please also post here in this thread news on your country's entries! :) And thoughts on the Dutch entry are welcome!

Love,
Rick
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Re: Journey to Eurovision 2012!

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:09 am

Not really satisfied with Finland's entry for this year, namely, the televoters chose a Swedish-language song and the only time when we had a Swedish-language song was in the 1990s and that song became last! Nothing against Swedish being Finland's second official language, but for Eurovision the language has to be something else than Swedish.

Not sure if you knew it already, but a former student of Baba Brennan, singer Maria McCool, was one of the hopefuls for Ireland's ESC entry this year. Too bad she lost it to Jedward though! More about it here:
http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/lifestyle/entertainment/gaoth_dobhair_teacher_hopes_for_euro_vote_on_friday_1_3544295

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:11 am

So Jedward's going for a second try? I loved their entry last year, awesome fun! Suvi, if you have a link to your country's song then we might all be able to have a listen/see! What did you think of the Dutch entry? I'm having a gut feeling this will appeal to lots of folks in many countries, including Finland! :)
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Haven't yet had any time to listen to other countries' entries as I leave it until all of the countries have been chosen theirs, but judging from last year, Jedward is way too over the top for ESC in my opinion! It is supposed to be a SONG contest, NOT a STAGE CIRCUS contest! Anyway, Finland's entry can be listened here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1u2tLNAyNk

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:53 pm

It sure is a beautiful girl/woman to see Suvi! And not a bad song all in all. Taking a guess at translating the title: Just a blunder? Not my fault? :D

Have to say this one sounded much better IMHO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS06Zepe ... re=related Too bad this didn't win!

Here's Ireland's entry Jedward - "Waterline" if you're interested to listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbzd5LHq8uU

Must admit last year they sounded bigger and better. I don't mind a little circus as long as the artist does it with UTTER abandon. You only have one shot at impressing the masses!

From these clips, I doubt Finland will win, and neither will Ireland. Not that they're bad songs - just a bit middle of the road. I even expect Finland to end up higher than Ireland! :) But, all in all, no competition for the Dutch song IMHO. (and that's not me being patriottic about it!)
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:36 am

Well, not quite with the translation, när jag blundar = when I close my eyes. The main thing that annoys me in this song is the way how the singer pronounces her Swedish, it is a typical way to Finns whose mother tongue is Finnish and it just does not sound right when compared to Swedish Swedish, so this is why I'd prefer the song being sung in English instead of Swedish. Also, there are way too many moments when the singer sounds off-key!

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:15 pm

lol, okay, that will teach me not to try and gander a shot at figuring out Swedish LOL!

IMHO, on the Eurovision night, there are very few acts that actually sing on-key.
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:18 pm

IMHO, on the Eurovision night, there are very few acts that actually sing on-key.

And that's one of the things that annoy me very very much. Why bother if they don't know how to sing on key?!

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:16 pm

This is the German song for Baku http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzMye6AV8BQ
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Susann wrote:This is the German song for Baku http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzMye6AV8BQ

Not a bad song! Personally I think the first minute is rather *yawn* but once it builds and the music comes in it's a good sounding pop-song. His voice doesn't sound nice to my ears when he hits the higher notes (it becomes a bit dry?) and I would advise him NOT to wear the stupid hat. He's cuter without. :P

At the same time I listened to a part of Austria's entry.......UGH!!!! I think I need an earwash after that. Yuck.
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Return to Rattle Bag