18-Dec-2011 Moya An Irish Christmas in De Doelen Rotterdam

Memories of shows, dreams of shows to come

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Postby Yvonne » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 am

They are VERY cute, I expect that Renske is also crazy about them :D !

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby edje&anja » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:10 pm

The breed is a Drentsche Patrijshond, a typical Dutch breed, but is is very similar as in Germany, a Munsterlander....

We've got 3 puppys, one we named Renske, other Siebe, the last Anne (the vetinarian who helped with the last one..)

Edwin
edje&anja
Enthusiastic Member

Postby nancykrijnen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Well, see you guys tonight. It will be awonderful evening. This morning I have passed my exam so I'm a fitness instructor now. Tonight we are going to Moya so this is a wonderful day.
nancykrijnen
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:01 am

Oh wow....it was such an amazing concert. Never expected it to be this good :) Moya was in splendid form, her voice was tremendous and the orchestral arrangements were gobsmacking!

I'll try to remember most of the set list, though it may not be in order:

Joy To the World
The Wexford Carol
Crann Ull
* - Moya and Cormac sang in both Gaelic & English....but I am not sure what song it was!
Two Horizons
Gabriel's Message
Bright Star
Deck the Halls (singalong moment)
Do You hear/ Don Uiche
Casadh Mo Chroí
Tunes - Eleanor Plunkett/Mrs. McDermott/The Mannheim Jig* - not sure if I heard the last one right
Against the Wind
Oiche Chiuin/Stille Nacht (gaelic & dutch!!!! - singalong moment)
Carol of the Bells
I Will Find You

It definitely isn't in order lol...but the most amazing moments for me were Bright Star, Casadh Mo Chroí, I Will Find You, Carol of the Bells and Against the Wind. The orchestral stuff in those songs was out of this world!

She actually won me over with Casadh mo Chroí to buy the new album just for that song ;) You could hear a pin drop during the concert at that time.

No pictures from me as I decided not to bring my camera along.

Oh yes, Moya also sang a very old Gaelic Christmas song, something like "Coleen Analdh" (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong lol). If the Irish Christmas album is going to be re-visited I am certain that song will be on there IMHO.

Overall it was an amazing evening I won't forget so quickly. :) And my friend who I was with got her Voices and Harps album signed :D without telling me lol!

Love,
Rick
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:24 am

Ofcourse I forget half...lol

She also sang What Child is This and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.

She wore a white dress with a floral/leaf pattern in black on it, and covered her shoulders in a blue shiny cloth. Sinéad was wearing a pretty LBD with a blue rose as ornamentation on her waist...Cormac was wearing a (I think) patterned black shiny shirt and black/dark pants. Just for those who are interested in this kind of info :D :D

I didn't see anyone from here....but it was pretty hard to recognise anyone. We were also pretty early in the hall, and bought the Voices and Harps cd's at Tim's stand in the break, after which we were hoping to get tea but it was a tremendous line at the drink stands!!! :shock: so we just went into the hall again and sat there waiting :D

A word to Moya (I hope she'll read this):

Moya, last night was an AMAZING concert. I never heard you sing better. I wish that this concert could be recorded on DVD because everyone should have seen it. It was tremendously awesome.

Also, Your live double-harp version of the Clannad tunes Eleanor Plunkett and Mrs. McDermott was sooooooo superb! I hope you'll record this on cd someday, just like that. I've been in love with the Mrs. McDermott instrumental ever since I heard the live version on a bootleg Clannad album of all places...your version equaled that version. :)

Thank you for such an amazing night. :)

Love,
Rick
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:33 am

I found the old Christmas song in gaelic on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-9xDf2KLf4
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Phantas wrote:* - Moya and Cormac sang in both Gaelic & English....but I am not sure what song it was!

A pure guess, based on the Hamburg gig - was it "My Match is a Makin'"?! :wink: I can't seem to find a YouTube clip for you to compare it to, though..... :roll:

Glad you had such a great night, Rick. I really wish I could have gone, but a combination of travel issues and commitments at home put the brakes on the idea. :( Any chance of similar gig with with BBC National Orchestra of Wales next year, Moya?!!! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Dave, I'm not sure either....I've heard My Match is A'Making and I couldn't hear similarities apart from the Gaelic/English....it could have been but to my ears it sounded different. Perhaps it was the arrangement for orchestra or a different way of singing by Moya.

Love,
Rick
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:49 pm

I think I can help you out with the names you forgot
She sang an seanduine doite and the christmas song was codail a linbh. I think the song in English and Irish really was My match was a making,

And wasn't it just amazing :-) My Christmas is made!
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Paul K. » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Paul K.
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby goldenhorse231 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:33 am

Paul, your pictures really look amazing. I absolutely believe that this evening must have been very special to everyone who was able to attend :) :) :) .

Really wished I could have been there, too :(

Susann
goldenhorse231

Postby Hester » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 am

mise wrote: And wasn't it just amazing :-) My Christmas is made!

It was amazing indeed! :D A wonderful way to start Christmas!
I sooooo enjoyed this!!!!!!!! Her voice always sounds amazing, but this night it sounded extra special! And what a great orchestra!!!! Really, really a special night!

(Rumour has it that Moya will be returning to the NL in April :wink: Maybe this has been already announced somewhere but I couldn't find it....Anway if the first lady of celtic music spreads this news around herself, I guess it is true! :D )
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby msetten » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Hester wrote:(Rumour has it that Moya will be returning to the NL in April :wink: Maybe this has been already announced somewhere but I couldn't find it....Anway if the first lady of celtic music spreads this news around herself, I guess it is true! :D )

You can find all her concerts in the Netherlands in April on http://www.peterboonemusicproductions.nl (click on Agenda then on April 2012).

I am glad you all enjoyed the Xmas concert last Sunday. I am sad that my health prevented me from attending :( Maybe some other day.
msetten

Postby Susann » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:28 am

I enjoyed the concert extremely much. In the last two weeks I have heard the songs on Moya’s tour in Germany and now in this fantastic orchestral version in Rotterdam. I liked especially “Crann Úll”, “Casadh Mo Chroí“ and „Against the Wind“. It is said a lot about this wonderful concert so I just want to tell a bit about my weekend in Rotterdam.

I arrived on Saturday afternoon. The weather was quite okay so I decided to go for a walk on the other side of Rotterdam. Later it was raining but it didn’t matter because I found a nice little restaurant. The weather forecast for Sunday was not good but in the morning there was blue sky. First I went to Delfshaven and then I took the Metro to the station Rijnhaven. From here I walked to the passenger ship SS Rotterdam (nowadays a combination of museum and hotel). On the way to the ship it was getting darker and darker and just when I arrived it heavy rain started. At 1 p.m. I had a guided tour to the engines of the ship. Later I walked along the decks and the bridge. All in all I was 5 hours on the ship. At night came the reason of my visit of Rotterdam – Moya :D :D :D . I bought the ticket on 15th May and was looking forward to the special concert since then. Now it’s over :( – I hope they will release a CD.
Monday morning the weather was brilliant again and so I went for a bigger walk through Rotterdam again. In the afternoon it became cloudy and rainy and at 4 p.m. I took the train back to Germany.

It was an absolute magnificent weekend and it was nice to meet some forumers and other people I have met on Moya’s concerts during the last years. :) :) :) :) :)

Here are the pics https://picasaweb.google.com/Susann177/MoyaInRotterdam#
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Yvonne » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 am

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the reviews and great pictures! Great to read that it was such a wonderful evening :D ! Great setlist too, with many of my favourites. From what I have read, it was so amazing that there really should be a CD or DVD release from this concert! :D I hope there will be one!

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Moya live