A week in Ireland (with Oranmore Celtic Shore Fest)

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

A week in Ireland (with Oranmore Celtic Shore Fest)

Postby Susann » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:35 pm

As I mentioned in the report about my holidays in Ireland in May/June I wanted to go to the mystical island Skellig Michael but it was impossible because of the bad weather in May. So I planned to go back to Ireland end of summer to try it again. Then I heard about the Oranmore Celtic Shore Fest with Moya and Cormac and I thought that it would be a good combination.

On Friday 26th August I flew to Dublin, hired a car and drove directly to Oranmore near Galway. On Saturday morning I was at Athenry Castle and Friary and in the afternoon I was listening to storyteller Eddie Lenihan at Oranmore Castle. In the evening I went to the concerts. I saw TRIUR, Eleanor McEvoy, Moya and Cormac with Sinead, Aisling and a keyboardist (I don’t know his name), Liam O’Maonlai, Julie Feeney and Sharon Shannon. It was sometimes raining but it was a wonderful day. Bye the way when Moya was playing two rainbows appeared. :D :D :D

The next day first I visited friends on Dingle and then I went to Valentia Island. In the evening I drove along the Skellig Ring. The weather was brilliant now and I hoped that it would be stable also the next day because I wanted to go to the Skellig Rocks.

When I got up Monday morning the weather was absolute great. We started from the pier in Portmagee about 10:20 am. We were 12 persons on the boat called “Sea Quest”. First we went around Little Skellig. This is the home of about 30,000 pairs of Gannets (one of the largest colonies in the world). The skipper showed us also seals. At 11:30 am we entered Skellig Michael. This is for me one of the most impressive historical sights in Ireland. A 1500 year old monastery is situated almost at the summit of this steep rocky island. When I was there I was listening to Clannad’s “Skellig” – GOOSEBUMPS !!! :D :D :D :D :D
We were back around 15:15 pm. Then I started immediately to go to Ardmore in Co. Waterford. I found a B&B close to the old cemetery were I visited the round tower and the ruins of a cathedral.

On Tuesday morning I walked along the Ardmore cliffs and went back to the cemetery to see it at daylight. On the way to the Hook Peninsula in Co. Wexford I stopped at the Hindu Gothic Dromona Gate and in Dunmore East. From Co. Waterford to Co. Wexford I took the Passage East Ferry. In Duncannon I found a nice B&B. When I arrived Hooö Lighthouse it was later than 6 pm and so I couldn’t do a guided tour. But the weather was fantastic and so I stayed until sunset.

The next morning I visited Duncannon Fort which was built in 1588. Then I went back to lighthouse to do the guided tour. Hook Lighthouse is about 800 years old and is the oldest operational lighthouse in the world. From there I went to Tintern Abbey and then to the famine ship “Dunbrody” in New Ross. It was cloudy but when I approached the south-east tip of Ireland the clouds disappeared. Not far from Wexford you can find the small „Tacumshane Windmill“. In the “Millhouse Bar” nearby I got the key to go into the windmill. Over night I stayed on a farm near Kilmore.

Thursday I started quite early because it was my last day in Ireland. First I went to the nice village of Kilmore Quay. Here you can see really nice thatched cottages. In July a nephew of mine was also in this area and he told me about Johnstown Castle and the beautiful park there. So I had to see it as well. He was right. But I didn’t have much time because I wanted to go to Co. Wicklow. First I went to Powerscourt Waterfall and then to Powerscourt House and Gardens. At night I stayed in Greystones.

Before I drove to the airport Friday morning I had a little walk along the coast to say Goodbye to Ireland.

Here you can see the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/Susann177/ ... ugust2011#
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:17 am

Susann,you've seen more of Ireland in 1 week than I've seen in a year.The weather was more in your favour this time which is great when you want the visit the Skelligs.This combined with the other great locations and a Moya gig makes a great week,I would do it any time.Love the pics,you must have some collection by now.
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Dubhy, I have done fantastic trips to other countries in Europe and overseas but there is no country I love as much as Ireland. It's in my heart :D :D :D
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Re: A week in Ireland (with Oranmore Celtic Shore Fest)

Postby cantilena91 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 pm

waleed444 wrote:I was just browing on Music section on Amazon, up popped a new cd next week by Secret Garden & in the description, it lists Ms. Brennan as one of the contributors :o . Has anyone else heard if this is true? If so, guess I'll have to get that cd to add to my collection.

Yes, though in fact this album has already been released, it is entitled "Winter Poem" and the song in question is "The Dream". Maybe it is a re-release?

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Return to Fan space